Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 10:37 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,519,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardvanderbosch View Post
REALLY, do you really BELIEVE that the only reason not to lie, cheat, steal etc. is because you are a christian? Maybe you should try using a moral compass along with your bible!
I gave up on any kind of organized religion when I was in middle school.My mother was a fundamentalist Russian Orthodox....effin Rasputin. I was forced to go to Sunday school and camp. I am still a Christian but I don't get involved in going to ANY church.All they want is your money and to brainwash you. That's all. None of them practice any of what they preach. That includes Jews and Moslems alike. Organized religion is a political cult for money and control. Now being spiritual is another matter altogether. But at work....NO way. That is the last place I would expect to find religion, or any kind of proselytizing/brainwashing/soliciting $$ for religious causes. I could never live in the South or West, or any Bible belt. I would jump off the bridge first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 10:40 AM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,719,797 times
Let me preface this by saying I am a Christian. I go to Sunday Service, Bible Study, and help with Youth Group. On my personal time, I read my Bible and pray.

I don't know how I feel about Bible Studies happening onsite at the company. At my old church, this was done, and I was criticized for not agreeing with that. First of all, it's right on that slippery slope of forming a clique. Also, by nature of it happening in one of the conference rooms, or someplace like that, it ostracizes those who don't come (no matter what they say).

If a few colleagues went out to lunch and discussed the Bible there, I don't have any problem with it, but I find it tacky to do onsite. Besides, don't many of us go to church after work to get the grace to deal with our crazy coworkers?

The other awkward part is if your manager disagrees with you doctrinally. Now Freddy and Gladys, who barely got along before, find out that they're Baptist and Pentecostal-- now you have a holy war on top of office politics!

Seriously, I love good Bible Studies, but keep it out of the office.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:48 AM

4,021 posts, read 2,703,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Let me preface this by saying I am a Christian. I go to Sunday Service, Bible Study, and help with Youth Group. On my personal time, I read my Bible and pray.

I don't know how I feel about Bible Studies happening onsite at the company. At my old church, this was done, and I was criticized for not agreeing with that. First of all, it's right on that slippery slope of forming a clique. Also, by nature of it happening in one of the conference rooms, or someplace like that, it ostracizes those who don't come (no matter what they say).

If a few colleagues went out to lunch and discussed the Bible there, I don't have any problem with it, but I find it tacky to do onsite. Besides, don't many of us go to church after work to get the grace to deal with our crazy coworkers?

The other awkward part is if your manager disagrees with you doctrinally. Now Freddy and Gladys, who barely got along before, find out that they're Baptist and Pentecostal-- now you have a holy war on top of office politics!

Seriously, I love good Bible Studies, but keep it out of the office.
I agree with this--forming a group and going offsite is fine, onsite is not. The conference room use at work for such a thing really struck with me. Where I work, getting a conference room is at a premium. If I found out that I was having trouble getting a conference room for a business meeting because a group was using it for Bible study, I'd be hacked. I'd also have no problem telling them to disperse, since I would have a legitimate business need and they didn't.

A similar situation actually came up where I work recently. It was found out that a lot of people were booking the conference rooms for lunch--not a business lunch, where training or some other work is going on and they're having lunch at the same time, but strictly social lunches. HR sent out an email telling people that if work is not going on, then not to take the conference rooms. Thankfully, people have complied, which has been making it easier to book a room when needed.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:16 AM

Wow..Bible studies at work on work time, at work location...how 1950s. I don't know, it's more like 1600s in Plymouth, MA while working as indentured servant on some land....<?> what year is this....what country am I living in.....(confusedly cocking my head to one side, looking puzzled.)

Old 04-03-2014, 11:18 AM

10,988 posts, read 20,527,667 times
An employer must make reasonable accommodation for the exercise of religious belief. What bothers me here is that the supervisor is involved. There is a power relationship in play. Let me give you an example: co-worker propositions another co-worker where they are peers; in bad taste and likely a violation of company policy but there is no implied pressure to submit. Supervisor propositions a subordinate... huge difference.

I would share with your Employee Relations staff that the Bible study group makes you uncomfortable because it is led by your supervisor and attended by subordinates, will that impact your promotional opportunities or other workplace conditions... ?

That is different than permitting a person the opportunity to worship such as Muslims retiring to a private space for prayer. It is possible that practicing Muslims may pressure the less observant to join them and in that case, as the one above, it must be made clear that is not appropriate.

I have actually had to deal with that where the facility employees were primarily Mormon. One employee was born into a Mormon family but not observant. The employee complained so I needed to educate the corporate HR Manager from Chicago on the social dynamics of the Mormon faith and the impact of calling someone a 'Jack Mormon". Before I arrived she went to dinner with facility managers and asked, "What is a Jack Mormon?" She told me she thought the dinner table levitated! Ultimately she made it clear that name calling and matters of religion did not belong in the work place.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:20 AM

4,269 posts, read 6,284,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardvanderbosch View Post
REALLY, do you really BELIEVE that the only reason not to lie, cheat, steal etc. is because you are a christian? Maybe you should try using a moral compass along with your bible!
I was merely using that as an example. I've worked with all types of people - religious and not religious. Yes, everyone has a moral compass that they follow, but to claim that one particular group should leave their beliefs at the door is still preposterous. That's all I was suggesting.

Having said that, while I think that people should be able to meet off-the-clock in a room within the business walls to have a Bible study (just as I would be okay with book clubs, or Buddhists meditating, or WWers having their weigh-ins, or Al-Anon checking in with each other, etc.), I also think that a sense of proper decorum and discretion should be employed. I don't object to likeminded people getting together over their lunch hour.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:20 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,675,475 times
Personally id love it. Sit and eat my lunch with a group of people learning and preaching the Gospel sounds like a lot of educational fun that would lead to spiritual growth. Only thing id dislike is that id be having so much fun itd be easy to be late getting back to my work station on time.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:21 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,675,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
Wow..Bible studies at work on work time, at work location...how 1950s. I don't know, it's more like 1600s in Plymouth, MA while working as indentured servant on some land....<?> what year is this....what country am I living in.....(confusedly cocking my head to one side, looking puzzled.)
What country? The way things are going we could start calling this Babylon.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:28 AM

It's very simple.Those who want to have Bible studies need to seek same type of employer in same type of geographical area, where that is "acceptable." Those (not so religious) who are employed by very religious folk who take their beliefs to work are going to have major problem. Power in numbers; the majority is going to rule the day. Chances are, they're going to be deaf to your disapproval. You better hope they don't start harassing you or try to force you to leave. It could turn into a hostile environment. Going to HR/boss is going to achieve nothing. I would just sweetly decline or be busy..and look for another job. Really that's what I would do. But I"m me and you are you.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
What country? The way things are going we could start calling this Babylon.
right...don't forget he Illuminati and "the reptilians."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment