Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 10:37 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times

Advertisements

One good recipe for success is to look at what everyone else is doing, and do something different. You will need some credentials of some kind, so either get into a recognized apprenticeship program or get at least an associate's degree. Besides machinist skills, a millwright today also needs to know industrial control systems. I know car mechanics that make twice what an office middle manager makes, but they came up through the dealership training ranks and spend a lot of money staying current on repair of new systems.

If you are going to be successful in a trade, you need to plan your own training. Apprenticeship programs are a good place to start, but they will only get you so far. There are no graduate school programs for millwrights. However, if you pursue that career, you will be in a lot better shape than someone who goes into IT. If you get a degree in IT, 10 years later your knowledge will be obsolete and you will be just one of 100,000 in the same boat. If you become a millwright, your knowledge will also become obsolete as new control systems are installed, but you will be in a boat of 100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 10:56 AM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJR View Post
What trade did you choose?
I do a combination of things... Welding... Waterjet cutting... Plasma cutting... Assembly.

I work in a steel fab shop.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:57 AM

49 posts, read 82,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
I do a combination of things... Welding... Waterjet cutting... Plasma cutting... Assembly.

Thats what I want to do. I really like working with my hands, thats why I want to become a Millwright.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Thats what I want to do. I really like working with my hands, thats why I want to become a Millwright.
Millwright

Keep in mind that's $25-$30 with a temp agency... Hired direct would be more.

Lots of industrial work here.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:27 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post

I have a son interested in welding. Where do you learn this trade? And can you just be a welder or do you need to have these other skills as well?

Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question. I barely know what I'm even asking!

Alley

Old 04-04-2014, 11:32 AM

49 posts, read 82,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
I have a son interested in welding. Where do you learn this trade? And can you just be a welder or do you need to have these other skills as well?

Sorry if I'm asking a dumb question. I barely know what I'm even asking!

Alley
I have a friend who dropped out, and is now making bank from welding.

You start as a helper. I guess a few mig or tig certs could help. It takes practice to be a good welder.

Old 04-04-2014, 11:44 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,264,245 times
Quote:

You start as a helper. I guess a few mig or tig certs could help. It takes practice to be a good welder.
I need Kindergarten talk. . . where do you start as a helper. I don't know the first thing!

Thanks for helping me!

Alley

Old 04-04-2014, 12:01 PM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,574 times
Learning a trade is a really good option if you pick wisely. Colleges probably offer a higher threshold but with a trade school you study only what applies to your trade not extraneous BS classes like many colleges offer. Even when I went back in the 70's they had stupid courses- Sports and the American Dream, Interpretive Dance, Medieval European Literature. At least with a trade school you'll gain practical experience that you can apply to an actual job. Either way choose wisely. Find something that appeals to you and one that has decent job prospects.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicia64 View Post
I need Kindergarten talk. . . where do you start as a helper. I don't know the first thing!

Thanks for helping me!

Alley
We just hired 20 yr old kids as shop helpers... They do things like moving metal, loading trucks, grinding welds, basically whatever needs to be done.

They make $14 an hr and practice welding on the side.

I've been doing this work since 1993. I was 19 and started at $6 an hour... Last week I grossed $1800.

I cut the metal and let the other guys weld it. It's steady work and always something different.

OMAX Precision Abrasive Waterjet Cutting Machines | OMAX

Those are the machines I run...

Old 04-04-2014, 01:15 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
College isn't for everyone. . . but neither is trade school. No one can make that call for you. That said, I personally, in retrospect, should have looked into HVAC, or Electrician. I love and excel at hands-on, yet technical work.

It is true, that tradespeople will out earn people with (MARKETABLE!) college degrees in the early years, but over time, there is a good possibility that the people with (MARKETABLE!) college degrees earn more. BUT, use that to your advantage.

If you go into the trades get in the habit of SAVING A LOT OF THE EARLY MONEY. That gives you the benefit of time to compound your investments. Before you even get your first paycheck, START A ROTH IRA. Take advantage of an employer match in an IRA if you can. That weekly/monthly $50 to $100 gone from your paycheck WON'T BE FELT.

Either way: best of luck. And, for the record, I have an engineering degree and a business degree and work in I/T. Been stuck in cubeland for the last 30 years and it's a good income, but I've missed so much of "the world".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment