Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did/Do you Work to Live or Live to Work ?
Work to Live 54 84.38%
Live to Work 10 15.63%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 01:04 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,891,719 times

Advertisements

If my occupation is meeting my needs, though I may not particularly enjoy it, I work to live.
If I am sticking with a job because I enjoy what I'm doing, even though it does not meet my needs, I live to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 01:27 PM

346 posts, read 548,759 times
Maybe people ask "so what do you do for a living?" as a way to find common grounds and start a conversation. It is why I ask people that.

I voted for work to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Invariably, one of the first things an American will ask someone else is, what do you do for a living? Not sure if that is driven by a need to "rank" people, or if we are trying to see where they fit in the socioeconomic scale in comparison to ourselves.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:33 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,804,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the original intent of the poll, but I interpret the phrase "live to work" as meaning "being a workaholic".

On the other hand, I suppose it could also mean that a person loves what they do for a living SO much that they look forward to each workday because the job/occupation/careeer/business/whatever is something that they really enjoy. But I've never known anyone who was that lucky, LOL

Think about it: How many people do you know who say (or said) "I really love my work"??
Well, I know one that truly did love their work. Me.

OTOH, I had other interests so retirement wasn't that difficult.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:35 PM

18,762 posts, read 11,755,546 times
Workaholic here

Old 04-04-2014, 02:20 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,291,796 times
I loved my work and what I did so much that I felt grateful for most of the 30 something years that I could do what I did and get paid too. So I voted lived to work, not reading it as a workaholic but someone who loves their calling and does it.

Will say that the last year management became so top down directive and standardized that I decided it wasn't fun anymore and I retired.

And am happy to be retired. It was time to find a new life to love.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:45 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,372,162 times
My dad was a workaholic midwestern who instilled his values in my two brothers and me. I spent years in college obtaining a master's degree to have a career that I find interesting and fulfilling. Also did not get married or have children so my career is my main focus so I live to work. But the job is also stressful, demanding, and can involve long hours and travel, and not to glamorous places. I'm getting burnt out after 29 years and looking forward to retirement.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:01 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,869,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
Maybe people ask "so what do you do for a living?" as a way to find common grounds and start a conversation. It is why I ask people that.

I voted for work to live.
Such a large part of our identity, albeit not all if it, is tied to our job or profession. Therefore, it is normal and natural to want to know that piece of information about a person as a part of knowing that person. For sure, it isn't the be-all and end-all of knowing someone else, but it is right up there with such things as married/single, kids/no kids, outside interests, and maybe a couple of other things that we would rate as important parts of who we are.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:20 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,503,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I loved my work and what I did so much that I felt grateful for most of the 30 something years that I could do what I did and get paid too. So I voted lived to work, not reading it as a workaholic but someone who loves their calling and does it.

<snip>

And am happy to be retired. It was time to find a new life to love.
That exactly expresses my experiences and feelings about work and retirement, and DH's, and a number of other people we know.

It's not that hard to find people who enjoyed working and enjoy retirement. It's true more often of persons in professional occupations but I've known paraprofessionals, blue-collar, and service workers who feel the same. The happiest couple I ever knew was a husband who was a manual laborer and a welder, and his wife who was a waitress and a restaurant hostess. They both radiated joy throughout their long lives. After they retired, she loved to tell stories about the many famous people she met in the restaurant, and he worked for free on welding projects and art well into his 90s.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:03 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,165,238 times
I'm also someone who falls into neither category.

I had to work to support my family, didn't have any options there. Sometimes I didn't particularly care for my jobs, and work felt like a burden. However, most times I enjoyed my job, had a good sense of achievement and making a contribution, and enjoyed my coworkers.

So I generally had a positive work experience, though I wasn't really a workaholic (except when necessary for limited periods of time).

Old 04-04-2014, 04:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the original intent of the poll, but I interpret the phrase "live to work" as meaning "being a workaholic".

On the other hand, I suppose it could also mean that a person loves what they do for a living SO much that they look forward to each workday because the job/occupation/careeer/business/whatever is something that they really enjoy. But I've never known anyone who was that lucky, LOL

Think about it: How many people do you know who say (or said) "I really love my work"??
I knew two who "lived to work". They even worked when they were on vacation and sent constant emails to various team members asking about our projects as they felt left out.

One worked in the evenings and even on weekends.
He told me he had no outside interests at all and work was all he had to "keep busy".
He didn't plan to ever retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment