Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:43 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytop View Post
he is a conservative commentator with an agenda to promote the idea that the unemployed are lazy, incompetent and only interested in collecting checks from the government. I quick google search reveals he has a net worth of over 35 millions dollars, I think it's fair to say that he is completely disconnected with everyday American reality and has no idea what's really going on down here in the trenches.
Hannity is another worthless, far right-wing corporate stooge. Even if he believes the drivel he spews, which is debatable since people like him just sell out to whomever throws them the most money, he should be ashamed. The facts, as I've stated many times on this forum, are that there are AT LEAST 2.6 people in need of a job per job posting, with a more realistic estimate of 5.1 people per job opening if you use the U6 unemployment number. Worse, that assumes that all the job postings are real - and we know how that goes - and the U6 number doesn't factor in various people that could use a job: people who were stuck retiring early, people hiding in grad school, people who are "self-employed" but effectively broke, etc. The situation for the working class in this nation is grim and only getting worse.

Unfortunately, idiots like Hannity get paid very well to whip up the ignorant masses and get them to buy into various aspects of the Just World Fallacy. In their warped little minds, "everyone gets what they deserve in life," so clearly the unemployed "deserve" to be out of work - because they are "lazy" and "stupid." The more important corollary to that idea is that the rich and powerful "deserve" everything they've stolen, otherwise they wouldn't be rich and powerful since "everyone gets what they deserve in life." That second part - the part that protects the rich and powerful, turns them into heroes, and renders them immune to accountability - yeah, that's the main reasons the clowns at the top promote the Just World Fallacy. The fact that true believers are more likely to turn on each other vs. demanding answers from the robber barons makes it a great belief system to peddle to the ignorant, and there's no shortage of them in this nation.

Last edited by Rambler123; 04-04-2014 at 09:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 06:16 AM

42 posts, read 50,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Hannity is another worthless, far right-wing corporate stooge. Even if he believes the drivel he spews, which is debatable since people like him just sell out to whomever throws them the most money, he should be ashamed. The facts, as I've stated many times on this forum, are that there are AT LEAST 2.6 people in need of a job per job posting, with a more realistic estimate of 5.1 people per job opening if you use the U6 unemployment number. Worse, that assumes that all the job postings are real - and we know how that goes - and the U6 number doesn't factor in various people that could use a job: people who were stuck retiring early, people hiding in grad school, people who are "self-employed" but effectively broke, etc. The situation for the working class in this nation is grim and only getting worse.

Unfortunately, idiots like Hannity get paid very well to whip up the ignorant masses and get them to buy into various aspects of the Just World Fallacy. In their warped little minds, "everyone gets what they deserve in life," so clearly the unemployed "deserve" to be out of work - because they are "lazy" and "stupid." The more important corollary to that idea is that the rich and powerful "deserve" everything they've stolen, otherwise they wouldn't be rich and powerful since "everyone gets what they deserve in life." That second part - the part that protects the rich and powerful, turns them into heroes, and renders them immune to accountability - yeah, that's the main reasons the clowns at the top promote the Just World Fallacy. The fact that true believers are more likely to turn on each other vs. demanding answers from the robber barons makes it a great belief system to peddle to the ignorant, and there's no shortage of them in this nation.
All these things are "literally" untrue of Sean Hannity and I mean word by word. Not only are they untrue but are in direct opposite, literally, of what he actually says on his show. Its really amazing.

This is the type of stuff I used to believe about conservatives when I was in high school.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:21 AM

42 posts, read 50,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Sean Hannity hasn't been an "average Joe" in many, many years. And while some people don't forget where they come from.....many do.

Hannity hasn't a clue as to what it is like to be a middle class working American in 2014, or for that matter back in 2000 either.

And where is the responsibility of Hannity and Fox to bring someone on the show who is outright lying about their company having jobs? They brought him on the show in the first place.
You are right, however you could make that same argument about anybody who came from poverty and became successful after enough time. I don't know how Fox is involved by you are right as the host of the show Hannity did have the responsibility to scrutinize these companies before he put them on the show.

This is the first year he is doing something like this I am sure that there will be much to learn from the experience, live and learn and all that.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:58 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
When I saw the title of this thread I knew it would end up being a bandwagon for Hannity bashers. The topic of jobs in the U.S. is interesting, though. We've got kids who are clawing their way into employment and most of them are succeeding. You have to make some herculean efforts in some cases. I know flipping burgers isn't what you want to do, nor will it support a family, but it will give you more money than if you did nothing. It's easier to get a job when you have a job.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:08 AM

947 posts, read 1,463,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
When I saw the title of this thread I knew it would end up being a bandwagon for Hannity bashers. The topic of jobs in the U.S. is interesting, though. We've got kids who are clawing their way into employment and most of them are succeeding. You have to make some herculean efforts in some cases. I know flipping burgers isn't what you want to do, nor will it support a family, but it will give you more money than if you did nothing. It's easier to get a job when you have a job.
Once a burger flipper will always be a burger flipper in the US of these past 15 years. Nor is a college degree worth any thing.

Twice as Many College Grads in Minimum Wage Jobs as 5 Years Ago - US News

53% of Recent College Grads Are Jobless or Underemployed—How? - Jordan Weissmann - The Atlantic

Hell even the starting position at a lot of jobs requires five years of exp. But how do these companies expect to hire experienced people if they never hire people with no exp to begin with?

Old 04-05-2014, 08:10 AM

947 posts, read 1,463,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives78 View Post
All these things are "literally" untrue of Sean Hannity and I mean word by word. Not only are they untrue but are in direct opposite, literally, of what he actually says on his show. Its really amazing.

This is the type of stuff I used to believe about conservatives when I was in high school.
Wrong. It is excellently portraying Sean Hannity who is a chickenhawk who does benefit events for vets in which no money goes to the vets but all goes to Sean Hannity pocketbook.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:37 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Lately, Sean Hannity has been talking a lot on his radio show about the available jobs here in the US. According to Sean, there are plenty of jobs, good paying jobs, no make that great paying jobs out there. People just don't know they exist. He has partnered up with some companies, mostly energy ones, to promote their company and their job sites through his own website.
Sean Hannity is gonna tell you that you can make 100K with a high school diploma
As usual, Hannity only tells 1/2 truth that support his propaganda
This is what Hannity is not gonna tell you

Lonely, hard work on oil rigs, but salaries soaring | Reuters

Quote:
The labour crunch has already seen pay for a roustabout, the least skilled worker on a rig, nearly double in the past five years to $18-$20 an hour. A roughneck, a rank higher, earns about $27-$28, said Roberts, the U.S. rig manager.
"When the rousta gets a raise it doesn't just stop there," he said. "It goes all the way to the top."
A rig operates on 12-hour shifts and typically workers do 14 days and then rotate out for a break for another 14 days.
The schedule puts off many and with salaries in IT and other industries growing, an engineering graduate or technician has other options.

Old 04-05-2014, 08:38 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Your first mistake was believing anything Sean Hannity says.

Sean Hannity

Old 04-05-2014, 08:47 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Quote:

Nope.

The simple fact that the moron claims that there are plenty of jobs proves he has no idea what he is talking about, and if anyone thinks he doesn't buy into the Just World Fallacy they are just kidding themselves.

Sorry, but I've listen to clowns like him and met plenty of right-wing supporters of his kind over the years and talked with them... and they, without fail, believe in the Just World Fallacy and are usually ignorant, bigoted, and full of hate.

In fact, I USED TO BE a conservative. I voted Republican for years, until the party become overrun by loons screaming about hating: gays, blacks, the poor, people of other faiths, the unemployed, etc. Combine that with the sick worship of the rich - regardless of how they obtained their wealth - and clearly the party has abandoned the nation.

Last edited by Rambler123; 04-05-2014 at 09:26 AM..

Old 04-05-2014, 10:28 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
You are right, however you could make that same argument about anybody who came from poverty and became successful after enough time. I don't know how Fox is involved by you are right as the host of the show Hannity did have the responsibility to scrutinize these companies before he put them on the show.

This is the first year he is doing something like this I am sure that there will be much to learn from the experience, live and learn and all that.

Yes, you could make that point about many people who become rich and famous. They become out of touch with the reality of the average American. I am not begrudging someone who becomes rich and successful but in Hannity's case(as well as others mostly those in entertainment) they haven't a clue as to the current state of what Americans are facing these days.

Sorry, I don't get the this is "the first year he is doing something like this" comment. How long has he been interviewing people? Around 20 yrs or so. He's not some college kid whose hosting a show at the campus station. Actually radio should come much easier after having been on TV for some many years.

Put right wing/left wing aside for a minute, this is guy is a hack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment