Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 05:34 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post

Cleaning toilets? I dunno, it's all eight hours to me (and FWIW, I don't consider myself "above" any task, especially in a small organization). Your attitude and how you handle these extra tasks can make or break your role at the company. Small companies have so many minute details to cover, it's impossible to list them all in a job description.
It's not about being above anything, that sounds like words out of a conceited boss's mouth. The reason some tasks are not favored is because they need to hire someone with a correct task list/job description to carry out the work. I'm a scientist and we have editors at my work. On several occasions they asked me to do mundane editing tasks, things I did not sign up to do. It was not on my job description when I came to work, so you can't start adding things now. That's not how it work, that's not how it's suppose to work. If you start allowing management to dictate your job responsibilities on a daily basis they are taking advantage of you. I've seen it a thousand times. Someone puts all the hard work and effort in, adds new mundane tasks and the person has your attitude (believing it will pay off) all to be shot down and never given a raise or promotion. Eventually the person ends up leaving, and for what? The employer surely received what they wanted out of you, all at the cost of you. It's a give and take between yourself and the employer, never let them take advantage, because they will most certainly always try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 06:45 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
It was not on my job description when I came to work, so you can't start adding things now. That's not how it work, that's not how it's suppose to work.
I agree with your example regarding editing and chemistry, but I disagree with your larger point.

You were hired into a job description but they do change over time. Something unanticipated comes up and somebody has to do it. Technology evolves and the nature of jobs change (will the blacksmiths, operators, shorthand secretaries and elevator operators please raise their hands). Companies change focus. Different people with different skillsets are hired or leave, requiring a shifting of duties.

A blanket refusal to do anything not explicitly in your job description is a good way to find yourself in an obsolete role being passed over for promotional opportunities.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:40 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Every single job I have ever worked for has an "Other duties as assigned" or something similar as part of the description. It's a way to prevent whiners from complaining.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:03 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
You will gain working experience in a higher-pay responsibility. Good news for you!

Get your resume updated and make sure you put that bullet point of experience first.

Start applying at all other companies that have this responsibility and pay higher than your current salary.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:19 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,314 times
But how about when a really big and very not-fun duty gets assigned (more like re-assigned, to me ), and the people that were doing it previously (who now have more time to focus on other things), were/are at much higher salary levels?

Yes, I have had the "all other duties as assigned" in my job profile before. For my place of work it was so they could assign additional duties as they presented without having to rewrite the profile. I have seen instances where I work of people filling in for others that are at a higher pay grade without being compensated for such. There is no telling why it is there without knowing what you do but this is a possibility. look on the bright side. you will have experience to move up into that position should an opening arise and something extra to put on your resume'.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:56 PM

853 posts, read 4,035,447 times
You all make good points, however, plenty of other duties have been assigned to me (or I've offered) prior to this one, and always on top of my regular job. There's nobody that I can pass my work on to, so it just keeps building (although I've streamlined so I did gain some time back before they filled it all up again).

What makes this situation different is that this assignment really effects my entire job going forward, and it's something that nobody else wants to do either, including the people who were hired to do it (again, they are at a much higher salary level). Imagine if everybody got to give the least favorite parts of their job to other people, people who can't do the same thing back?

Also, I would not list this on my resume as I do not want to do it again. Plus I do not have the responsibility of the task, just the work (so I do it and then others review and submit), so I'm not sure it would stand out.

Anyway, the larger issue is really how things get handled at my company (beyond what I’ve written), and I am realizing that it is really time for me to get serious about finding a new/better job, unfortunately.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:11 AM

155 posts, read 347,797 times
Job descriptions do change over time. When I have been given the opportunity to have input with my job description and the boss wants to put in "and other duties as assigned" I try to negotiate the exact wording to be "and all relevant duties as assigned."

In most companies I have worked for, job descriptions were the basis for performance evaluations. So whole I wouldn't mind pitching in and cleaning toilets or doing some editing, I would not want my performance evaluation to reflect an area which is not relevant to my area of expertise.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:08 PM

392 posts, read 704,062 times
Any skilled work would not be lumped into "other duties", it means menial tasks or occasional helping hands when understaffed due to vacations.

If your employer is trying to get you to do $40/hr work for $20/hr, tell them to go pound sand.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:13 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,729,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharecropper View Post
Any skilled work would not be lumped into "other duties", it means menial tasks or occasional helping hands when understaffed due to vacations.

If your employer is trying to get you to do $40/hr work for $20/hr, tell them to go pound sand.
Precisely.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:21 PM

853 posts, read 4,035,447 times
THANK YOU tgauchsin, Sharecropper and MJ7!!

I had the worst week at work today, all because of my new duties (and the fact that my boss, who's my new for me also, has been telling me everything I've been doing wrong every few hours, and other than a few actual errors, it's all subjective (meaning I'm not doing it wrong, I'm just not doing it like she would have!!). However, with each one, I'm taking into account everything I did wrong with the last one, and doing it the right way the next time, which ends up being the wrong way! Grrrrr!

Anyway, your comments (and some unexpected sympathy I got from co-workers today), made me smile for the first time in a few days, so much appreciated !! (and yes, looking for new job)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment