Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 11:00 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abodnar412 View Post
just give me a chance is all i ask from anyone that interviews me.... for god sakes is that too much?
They interviewed you didn't they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 11:24 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,744,337 times
It sucks, and even though you personally might be ethical and not an employment risk, their corporate offices most likely made the decision based on the numbers -- which show a correlation between people with a very low credit score and corporate theft/embezzlement/murdering kittens.

It sounds like the job you were applying for was in restaurant management, so you'd presumably have access to large amounts of cash, bank deposits, etc. The credit score could have been a red flag for them.

My advice would be to just take any job you can find and focus on rebuilding your credit. Your bank is a good place to start, they often offer a class, workshop, or even a 1x1 session on repairing your credit.

You can't change the past, but you can influence the future.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:00 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
this is why student loans need to be discharged in bankruptcy
Wrong, unless you'd agree to NO government backing, with individual banks free to sat rates, conditions, collateral terms ..up front.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:02 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,810 times
Sorry about that abodnar. It can be tough when there are multiple qualified candidates, something like a credit score can be used to decide which candidate is chosen. Perhaps you can look for a lesser position in a restaurant and work your way up from the inside by demonstrating your skillset if you're having trouble getting your foot in the door.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:03 PM

33 posts, read 42,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Wrong, unless you'd agree to NO government backing, with individual banks free to sat rates, conditions, collateral terms ..up front.
so its fair that since i cant find gainful employment and its crushing my life i need to be ball and chained to it...... tell me more old timer

Old 04-07-2014, 12:06 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
so its fair that since i cant find gainful employment and its crushing my life i need to be ball and chained to it...... tell me more old timer
You have decades to turn this around, and the degree will come in handy. Take a low level restaurant job for now, without any cash responsibility. EXCEL at it, demonstrate you are trustworthy, pick up a 2nd job dedicated solely to getting your debt back to acceptable standing, and in a few years, while still young, you will , no doubt, get this same job you wanted now.

It's your debt. You need to honor it. Generations behind you will neeed loans, too.

But your attitude must improve. Until it does, this employer likely dodged a bullet. Life comes with setbacks, no one is immune, but what separates winners and losers is how they respond to those setbacks.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:37 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Okay, they gave you a reason. You don't know if they gave you the reason.

On the face of it a poor credit score appears to be a neutral and objective basis to make a hiring decision. Unless you know that the employer applies that criterion equally to all its applicants, however, you don't know that it is the true reason and that the credit score was not merely a pretext for some discriminatory reason.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:42 PM

892 posts, read 1,500,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
Don't sell yourself short. That company is the one that missed out on hiring you. You would have been a great asset to that company!
Quote:

The many posts by the OP proves Rich_CD's thoughts to be very incorrect. Whether or not you want to believe it, I'd be willing to bet this **** poor "the world is against me" attitude came out somewhere in the process, and reflected negatively on the OP. He/she may have fooled multiple levels of people, but somewhere along the line someone caught it and dodged the proverbial bullet, as I'm sure they've found the same thing I have - while it's not true in all cases, more often than not the "world is against me" people are the same ones that don't see anything wrong with skimming the occasional 10 or 20 bucks from the register, because they're "just trying to survive!".

Yes, telling the applicant that they're afraid the applicant will be a thief, or other unsavory character is a near guaranteed way of getting nailed with a lawsuit in today's sue happy society, so the companies will come up with other reasons such as the credit score.

Old 04-07-2014, 01:20 PM

33 posts, read 42,955 times
but its ok for the failing business to go bankrupt no problem wipe away their problems clean but the student loan must be a burden FOR LIFE its a LIFE BURDEN...... you people are so ignorant.... over 1 TRILLION dollars in student loan debt and congress has the balls to back the lobbyists that shove $$$$ in the pockets of these sallie mae and big banks.... and instead hinder the new graduated and stunt the growth of the next generation.... ill never be able to buy a house or anything with the burden of this loan on my leg

Old 04-07-2014, 01:27 PM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,411 times
Actually, Wells Fargo does permit deferment for financial hardship for its private student loans. Did you max out on that option?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment