Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 01:22 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,423,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abodnar412 View Post
Drum Roll......... here comes the catch 22

UNSATIFACTORY CREDIT SCORE!!!!!!!

YES I TOOK A DRUG TEST AND PASSED

YES I TOOK A CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK AND PASSED

BUT SINCE I'VE BEEN UNEMPLOYED AND MY STUDENT LOANS ARE WAY PAST DUE CAUSE I NEED TO KEEP A ROOF OVER MY HEAD I FELL BEHIND AND IT RUINED MY CREDIT......

BUT HOW CAN I PAY FOR THE STUDENT LOAN WHEN I DON'T HAVE A JOB....

Grinding stress makes us all into different people than we'd like to be.
Abodner, join the Air Force. Or any of the other branches. With a degree, you have a fair chance of becoming an officer. STUDY for the entrance exam.

Time is going to pass anyway. You might as well make it work for you. You will make more and have a better life in the military than in the state of desperation in which you find yourself.

Best wishes to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 03:17 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,954 times
I didn't read all the responses. If your credit score is the issue with this position, it will probably be an issue for any position in dealing with money/financial transactions. So, the next step is to revamp your resume and start targeting other types of positions.

Also, you can contact the bank holding your student loan for a hardship deferment. It won't stop the interest from accuring but it will help relative to the days counting against you for non-payment.

Good luck.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:31 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,211,195 times
Perhaps before going to college and accruing student loans you could have done some analysis as to the employment prospects for the field?

What is your degree in?

Any other areas where you can find work?

We are the sum of our decisions and some stick with us forever. Student loans are no joke.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:14 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,035,241 times
Bummer, but it makes sense. Shake it off and move to the next. i expect that 9 out of 10 similar jobs will have the same issue so you may want to broaden your search from restaurant managers.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:07 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times
If you were being responsible, you would have contacted the student loan company and obtained deferment. You can get it twice, and each time lasts a year. That would have been the responsible thing to do. The correlation from credit score to responsible employee is significant.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:42 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_sm1th73 View Post
Grinding stress makes us all into different people than we'd like to be.
Abodner, join the Air Force. Or any of the other branches. With a degree, you have a fair chance of becoming an officer. STUDY for the entrance exam.

Time is going to pass anyway. You might as well make it work for you. You will make more and have a better life in the military than in the state of desperation in which you find yourself.

Best wishes to you.
The credit score will make the OP not eligible to join; the military is not in need of people, and being an officer is really out of the question, would not even be able to get any kind of clearance, let alone compete against numerous people that have a better background that are trying to get in. I doubt even could enlist.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:23 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,735,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
The credit score will make the OP not eligible to join; the military is not in need of people, and being an officer is really out of the question, would not even be able to get any kind of clearance, let alone compete against numerous people that have a better background that are trying to get in. I doubt even could enlist.
It's also getting extremely hard to enlist as an officer in the US Air Force. The officer qualifying tests for USAF are difficult and everything about the OP's attitude from his posting history here shows that he would rather blame his problems on everyone else as opposed to himself, which is something that would not really help him advance in the military at all. In short, they don't like to coddle crybabies.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:05 AM

893 posts, read 885,983 times
Quote:
but its ok for the failing business to go bankrupt no problem wipe away their problems clean but the student loan must be a burden FOR LIFE its a LIFE BURDEN...... you people are so ignorant.... over 1 TRILLION dollars in student loan debt and congress has the balls to back the lobbyists that shove $$$$ in the pockets of these sallie mae and big banks.... and instead hinder the new graduated and stunt the growth of the next generation.... ill never be able to buy a house or anything with the burden of this loan on my leg
For the life of me, I cannot see why you cannot find a job....

First you ask advice and then call us all idiots when we tell you what to do.

There's one idiot here and it is certainly not the people who giving you advice here.

Its painfully obvious that you are one of these new breed of person our leaders are producing and training that they are entitled. That you are special and should not be held accountable for your actions or mistakes.

Wake up sunshine.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:43 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,954 times
Quote:
but its ok for the failing business to go bankrupt no problem wipe away their problems clean but the student loan must be a burden FOR LIFE its a LIFE BURDEN...... you people are so ignorant.... over 1 TRILLION dollars in student loan debt and congress has the balls to back the lobbyists that shove $$$$ in the pockets of these sallie mae and big banks.... and instead hinder the new graduated and stunt the growth of the next generation.... ill never be able to buy a house or anything with the burden of this loan on my leg
It's a bit presumptious for you to call people "ignorant" when you asked for advice. I, for one, paid ALL my students loans on time. I requested deferments when I couldn't pay and I paid when I could. I never just pretended it would go away (or expected that it should). If I was the betting type, I'd take a wager that many of the people responding to you have their student loans and other debt under control as well.

Have you ever considered anger management classes? Or, maybe talking to a counselor? It might help you rein in some of your animosity toward everyone on the planet.

Good luck.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:58 AM

6,357 posts, read 7,766,843 times
Quote:
just give me a chance is all i ask from anyone that interviews me.... for god sakes is that too much?
A person's past behavior is a pretty good indicator of future behavior/performance.

The student loans were your choice. You were an adult, and as an adult, you are responsible for your own decisions. I have little sympathy for those who seek to discharge their financial obligations, (student loans), through the bankruptcy process. It took ten years for me to earn my undergraduate degree, because I did it without any loans or financial aid. I worked full time while I went to college, and raised a family at the same time. It took a further thirteen years to get my masters degree, again, without any loans/aid, but by this time, I was working two jobs. It is not the route I would recommend anyone else taking, but it worked for me.

One of the major issues with our society today is that a lot of people are not willing to take responsibility for their actions. abodnar412 has convinced me that he is in this group, and with his attitude, I highly doubt that I would hire him to be a part of my company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment