Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 04:29 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,211,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Just wondering... I'm interested in moving to a new location. Instead of driving or flying to interviews constantly, would it make more sense to use a temp agency? I've never used temp services before. In fact, I have always held a very negative opinion of them. Even still, I wouldn't mind meeting with a recruiter once, then working a temp to hire position for a period of 3 months or so. In the end, I'm relocated and able to find another job with general ease. Also, some services place you in a full time position, and simply collect a commission for the service.

Any thoughts? There are plenty of jobs in this location, and the pay vs COL is actually pretty attractive. It would be a PITA to have to fly down for interviews, especially while working.
I am considering a move from Ill. to the Portland, Ore. area later this year if I'm able to make it happen, and the current service I work through now has a office in the Portland area, so I'm definitely keeping them on my radar if a company there in Portland doesn't take a interest in my resume.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 04:41 PM

360 posts, read 811,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
The job offer I got that had me moving from GA to WA in 2011 was with a temp agency... Aerotek. I got hired on by the client after 5 months.

I worked with Aerotek one time before and was hired on by the client after 3 months that time. I've got nothing bad to say about Aerotek... professional, pay was always on time, and hooked me up with a couple nice jobs that opened the door for nicer jobs down the road. The biggest thing is they got me out here in WA state where I have more than doubled my income.... and COL isn't THAT much higher out here.

What locations are on your list?
I also have a very low opinion of Aerotek.

Until I got on their "poop List" I used to get calls from the 4-5 times WEEKLY. All of the recruiters wanted to know my life story and they promised me that they had "this great opportunity" for which I would a "good fit." And then…nothing.

Finally I told an Aerotek recruiter that I thought their company full of crap (and I didn't say crap) and that I didn't know of anybody who had received a job with them EVER. Haven't heard from them in almost 8 years.

C'est la vie.

Anyway OP, temp services are a mixed bag. Some companies use them to screen employees for them until (or if) they decide to hire them. Some simply use temps as they are cheaper than hiring employees and if temps are injured, it's the temp agency's responsibility and not theirs. You'd have to ask people who work for the agency which is the case.

If you are asking if you should move and depend upon ten agencies, the answer is a resounding "NO." Most of them can't provide you with enough in wages or a steady enough work schedule to make them a reliable employer. I would suggest only moving after you have found a full-time job with a long-term employer.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:47 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
Quote:
I guess I'm not the best talent then.

Honestly though as long as this job continues to pay me $1800 a week I'll continue to call it a pretty good job despite the fact I found it via a temp agency.

I don't care who signs my check... and if people like yourself want to continue to believe that temp agencies aren't a source of what could be a very good job that's fine too...it just opens the door for people like me to find good jobs.

No worries on my end.
You should be constantly looking for a FTE job where a parasite agency is not siphoning your pay. Companies occasionally get lucky in a bad market and snag someone good who has no better options or poor self-confidence. Basically, by keeping you a temp they are telling you are that they not committed to you and don't care if you quit. Therefore you should feel no commitment to them.

The day that companies are able to get the best talent via temp agencies is the day that traditional employment is over. Seriously why would anyone want to work for a temp agency? The agency robs you blind with no benefits and reduced pay compared to what a traditional employee makes and the client generally does not invest in your professional development and is careful to keep you alienated from the company to prevent a possible lawsuit like Microsoft had.

I worked for one for three miserable years and by the end of it I hated my entire profession. I am never doing that again no matter what.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:59 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,601,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwaynebandit View Post
I also have a very low opinion of Aerotek.

Until I got on their "poop List" I used to get calls from the 4-5 times WEEKLY. All of the recruiters wanted to know my life story and they promised me that they had "this great opportunity" for which I would a "good fit." And then…nothing.

Finally I told an Aerotek recruiter that I thought their company full of crap (and I didn't say crap) and that I didn't know of anybody who had received a job with them EVER.
Well I did... Twice. I made $60k in 2012 and am on pace for $85k this year... Both jobs originated with me as an Aerotek temp. I can even post a pay stub if there are any doubts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortwaynebandit View Post
If you are asking if you should move and depend upon ten agencies, the answer is a resounding "NO." Most of them can't provide you with enough in wages or a steady enough work schedule to make them a reliable employer. I would suggest only moving after you have found a full-time job with a long-term employer.
Is that how it is in Indiana? I was there in February for a week and my first question was "Where do people work in this state?"

Sometimes you gotta take risks in life. I moved cross country for a job with Aerotek that resulted in a permanent job with ThyssenKrupp Aerospace 5 months later...

I guess I got lucky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
You should be constantly looking for a FTE job where a parasite agency is not siphoning your pay. Companies occasionally get lucky in a bad market and snag someone good who has no better options or poor self-confidence. Basically, by keeping you a temp they are telling you are that they not committed to you and don't care if you quit. Therefore you should feel no commitment to them.

The day that companies are able to get the best talent via temp agencies is the day that traditional employment is over. Seriously why would anyone want to work for a temp agency? The agency robs you blind with no benefits and reduced pay compared to what a traditional employee makes and the client generally does not invest in your professional development and is careful to keep you alienated from the company to prevent a possible lawsuit like Microsoft had.

I worked for one for three miserable years and by the end of it I hated my entire profession. I am never doing that again no matter what.
Some places only hire through a temp agency as is the case with both jobs I started with Aerotek.

Why would I work for a temp agency? If you had a chance at a job that started at $22 an hour then went to $28 after 90 days would you do it?

I could give a damn about the benefits... I'm 39 not 79. I'm trying to get in with a big company and if I have to go through Aerotek to do it so be it. I never said working with a temp agency was my career plan... But if I have to use them to get my foot in the door I will.

I'm not working $10 hr McJobs... I'm doing jobs that are $20 and up and haven't had a problem getting it. Maybe I start out at less but that's a price I'm willing to pay for opportunity.

A 3 month and 5 month stint with a temp agency are just small portions of my time spent in the workforce and have led to good paying jobs. It doesn't happen for everyone but at the same time your bad experience doesn't mean everyone has one.

Best of luck to all in the job hunt!

Old 04-09-2014, 06:14 PM

29,799 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Fate got the better of me. I gotta go back to Michigan. Aerotek sucks out there. Nothing but vultures.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:15 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Yes, I have. It was nice to have even a moderate paycheck that I knew would be there when I first moved. Helped in getting an apartment too.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:53 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
OP, Why are you so intent on leaving Chicago? I could understand going to a different f/t job with benes, but a temp spot? Why?

Old 04-09-2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Why would I work for a temp agency? If you had a chance at a job that started at $22 an hour then went to $28 after 90 days would you do it?
If I was unemployed maybe but I'd sure as heck be putting full effort into job searching for a real job even if I did and not believe the 90 day hire carrot that I have a 27% chance of ever seeing a bite of and I don't take counter offers. That is the cost of playing the temp game (no commitment by either side).

Old 04-09-2014, 09:30 PM

29,799 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
OP, Why are you so intent on leaving Chicago? I could understand going to a different f/t job with benes, but a temp spot? Why?
High COL (concentration of liberals), which inherently translates into a high COL (cost of living).

Chicago is nice to visit. Heck, it was nice living here while the novelty lasted. Time to part ways, while I still have the chance. For what it costs to rent an apartment here, I could rent a house in other, more modest locations.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:35 PM

Unfortunately it is tough to find a place with a low cost of living and not an even more proportionally lower pay rate or even chance of employment at all. Heck I'd love to go back South but I'd probably end up in temp job H#ll again and I'd probably make <$40k over a 50% pay cut. But I definitely hear you as I have commented on the Illinois and Chicago forum the political situation in Illinois and its affect on the quality of life for its hosts, I mean citizens, has become a major concern of mine as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment