Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 05:42 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times

Advertisements

There's something fishy about this story. You are not a victim of domestic violence, if you are attacked by somebody outside your family.

Were you sleeping with your co-worker's wife, so he attacked you and her at the office?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 05:48 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,807,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeisdue View Post
You are not a victim of domestic violence. Claiming to be is insulting to those who truly have been. If you have been claiming to be a victim of domestic violence as a result of this incident, then I can see why they want to screw with you.

If you were assaulted during this incident, you were a victim of assault. Don't embellish it.
Give the OP a break. She wasn't trying to embellish anything. I understand what she really meant. She got in between the two people, and was the one who was hit.

Actually if you want to get *that* technical about it, assault is threat of physical harm. Assault and battery is what happened here. Assault vs Battery - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

Old 04-09-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
There's something fishy about this story. You are not a victim of domestic violence, if you are attacked by somebody outside your family.

Were you sleeping with your co-worker's wife, so he attacked you and her at the office?
What makes you think the OP is a guy?

Could very well be a woman protecting her friend.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:51 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Read through this thread, and see if it applies to you.

Need Help, or a Good Lawyer?

Old 04-10-2014, 09:29 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ieee488 View Post
Give the OP a break. She wasn't trying to embellish anything. I understand what she really meant. She got in between the two people, and was the one who was hit.

Actually if you want to get *that* technical about it, assault is threat of physical harm. Assault and battery is what happened here. Assault vs Battery - Difference and Comparison | Diffen
Actually, it depends on the state since there is not uniformity among the states.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Actually, it depends on the state since there is not uniformity among the states.
We'll just have to take your word for it, won't we?

Old 04-10-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
We'll just have to take your word for it, won't we?
No, you don't have to take my word for it. Any Moderator cut: snip is capable of looking up state ordinances and definitions.

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 04-10-2014 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: removed unnecessary term

Old 04-10-2014, 05:20 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
Quote:
What makes you think the OP is a guy?

Could very well be a woman protecting her friend.
Where did I say the OP was a guy? Quote it.

Old 04-10-2014, 05:25 PM

3,486 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Actually, in the matters of assault versus assault-and-battery, there is absolute uniformity. The terms originated in English Common Law, you see...

Now that we've enjoyed our little excursion, can we get back to the matter at hand? I'm sure the OP would appreciate it.

-- Nighteyes

Old 04-10-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
Actually, in the matters of assault versus assault-and-battery, there is absolute uniformity. The terms originated in English Common Law, you see...

Now that we've enjoyed our little excursion, can we get back to the matter at hand? I'm sure the OP would appreciate it.

-- Nighteyes
I am well aware of English Common Law and its influence on the development of American statutory law and, that over time, statutory law enacted by 50 legislative branches of state government caused a significant divergence from its common law roots. The point I was trying to make is that some states don't have a "battery" charge, using "assault" as a cover-all for an attempt to cause physical harm or actually causing physical harm.

Sure, we can end our excursion and get back to the matter at hand. Thank you for your consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment