Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 05:32 PM

130 posts, read 179,084 times

Advertisements

My grandfather worked in a car factory all his life until he retired. He got married, bought a house, had three kids and put them all through college. My grandmother was a housewife all her life. They retired and moved to Florida, where they had another house.

All on one person's salary.

THAT is the American Dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 05:55 PM

27 posts, read 64,251 times
Truck Driver.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:48 PM

7,919 posts, read 7,802,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selena777 View Post
Do you know of a country that has successfully made this type of transition, and now has a population that consists primarily of highly skilled workers?
But why does it have to have the entire population though?

Toffler wrote about change in the early 1970's with Future Shock.

"My grandfather worked in a car factory all his life until he retired. He got married, bought a house, had three kids and put them all through college. My grandmother was a housewife all her life. They retired and moved to Florida, where they had another house.

All on one person's salary.

THAT is the American Dream."

I'm sorry but that might be your dream but not mine. I had a great aunt that worked putting together spark plugs on an assembly line doing the same 15 second action every day. I wouldn't wish that mindless work on anyone

Not all women want to be housewives let alone move to Florida. Work is too ingrained in American society to just stop working and that's where the implied shame comes from. The reality is that people DO need to retire. Simply take up a hobby, travel, spend time with kids, grandkids, grow a garden, take a language etc.

"Outsourcing - as in "sending jobs overseas or replacing citizens with cheap visa workers" - has NEVER helped anyone except corporate bottom lines."

Huh? Technology is largely deflationary. Paying more for something would slow this process. Would the internet be as big today if we were all using Coleco Adams or Commodore 64's?

Specifically what part of manual labor is research ever involved? That's the problem. Technology exists as a form of a equalizer because those that gain the most are those that have
the least. If someone is rich they can hire someone to do anything for them. No ipod? hire a singer to perform just for you. No email? Private courier, No tv? Live play in front of you. Dishwasher? Hire someone, Washing machine? Hire someone.

Now technology eliminates the need for labor and thus provides for more equality.

"What do you do with the guy who's just average intelligence - or below average? "

The same thing we've done with every other generations that had theirs. Tell them to evolve! It might sound harsh but there are people that do hurt themselves in the job market and they know it.
High School Dropout Statistics | Statistic Brain
If you know that 90% of the jobs in the country would not hire you why would ANYONE drop out of high school? Yet THREE MILLION people a year do...huh? Compound that for a moment. That's 30 million in a decade.

Illiteracy Statistics | Statistic Brain
14% of the country cannot read..this is US adults. 32 million of them. So it is a miracle we don't have a higher unemployment rate with both of these being true. Say what you will about education but if you cannot read then you really need to learn.

Yes we do have an ideas economy. Here's an idea learn to read and stay in school and maybe another 33 million could find work.

In another ten years we might see meteorologists doing the Itsy Bitsy Spider to show us that it is raining!

Old 04-16-2014, 09:02 PM

303 posts, read 396,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
But why does it have to have the entire population though?
It doesn't, which is why I said "primarily." He just has to give an example of one country in the world where the transition to a knowledge economy has occurred already and worked out for the average citizen.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:06 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,958,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

Yes we do have an ideas economy. Here's an idea learn to read and stay in school and maybe another 33 million could find work.
Millions are simply so self destructive that no 1st world economy would suit their "skill sets".

Old 04-16-2014, 11:19 PM

17 posts, read 78,310 times
A masseuse....

Old 04-16-2014, 11:51 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,287,808 times
Any trade that Americans aren't willing do for less than minimum wage can be outsourced.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:23 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,827,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnT16 View Post
Truck Driver.
Wasn't there a move to allow Mexican nationals who are truck drivers on our roads?

Old 04-17-2014, 12:26 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,827,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnemployedandLovingIt View Post
Nursing is often outsourced. There are entire nursing agencies set up to do this.
I would say nursing is "insourced".
Meaning they hire nurses from other countries and bring them here,which drives down wages for all nurses.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:04 AM

13,186 posts, read 7,268,921 times
Communications tech someone at some point has to always go visit the network equipment. I have worked in the IT business for years and India outsourcing is on a down swing. Most IT companies have found it didn't work out well for them. Back in the 2000's we had at least 100 Indian off shore employees and 100 on shore. They cleaned house after the market crash and found a lot of stuff had been messed up by those guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment