Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 01:26 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
All too often, those after-hours emails turn into hours of effectively free labor for the employer, resulting in what amounts to a wage reduction - as well as a quality of life reduction - for the employee.
It would be a wage reduction for somebody not salaried. For somebody operating in a professional capacity like you're supposed to be for being salaried, it doesn't seem like a big deal.

Anyhow, I answer emails in the evening depending on the circumstances (how much time it will save me and others, sobriety level, how much the correspondent has pissed me off lately, etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 01:27 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,305 times
This is nothing but good. Not only does it improve the lives of existing employees, but forces employers to hire a night shift to address "problems" that just couldn't POSSIBLY wait until the next day.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:42 PM

333 posts, read 386,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
France is a much better place to work than the US for many reasons and add this to the list.

Why Everyone Wants to Work in France: Insights into French Employment Law | High Street Partners
When it comes to employee happiness it's better due to the laws, but their unemployment rate is several points higher than ours, the country is going broke, and you know most companies in the US will outsource even faster if they did that. Some places half of the tech team is in India, and if the leaders can't bother everyone at all times then they'll outsource it to Asia with looser laws.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:45 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,059 times
Seems pretty unnecessary to me, counter productive in many cases.

Never heard of not checking one's email after working hours? Just don't do it if you don't want to. Don't use your work email for personal stuff and only check work email during working hours. I don't see the problem.

Perhaps we need the federal government to say "no" for us now? Maybe mom would give the boss a good talking to instead!

Old 04-10-2014, 01:55 PM

582 posts, read 779,217 times
This just shows how stupid the French government is.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:11 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,288,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post

Congratulations on being part of the problem.
What is the problem you are referring to? Stepping up and taking advantage of an opportunity that others aren't willing to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tairos View Post
This is nothing but good. Not only does it improve the lives of existing employees, but forces employers to hire a night shift to address "problems" that just couldn't POSSIBLY wait until the next day.
Right - okay. So now what's good for me is being determined by someone else.

And no, it's not "nothing but good". There are those that enjoy the flexibility of setting their own schedules. I like to be able to take a two-hour lunch, run errands in the morning, meet friends for breakfast, get work done in the evening should I chose to. I enjoy that freedom.

I understand the issue with those that abuse other's time. But this isn't a solution, it simply exchanges one problem with another. Invariably, someone is still going to lose out (and I don't mean the employers).

Oh and by the way - forcing the employer to hire more people may result in you losing part of your job. So if you enjoy being underworked, I guess things will work out.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:13 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,794,611 times
I see checking work emails after hours as a fair trade off for not having to be in the office to do my job, I find that there are times that just reading, responding, or just forwarding an email can make up for me not being in the office. i understand that it is not an option for all positions or industries but for some of us it can make things easier

Old 04-10-2014, 02:22 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,744,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
What if you work second shift?

Seriously if you don't want to deal with work stuff after hours turn your phone off or screen your calls.
Yes. Or IT or other jobs where you may be on call in case of outages, working late because of a deployment, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
Dumb idea! Ever heard of global teams? It is always day somewhere in the world! I personally work with teams spread across Asia, EMEA and Americas and quick emails are exchanged around the clock to be efficient. No one asks me to check my emails at 7am in my way to work, or at 11pm before I go to bed, but I do because I know 5 minutes of my time answering a quick question can save half a day for a team in Asia or EU.
This too. I do the same, and appreciate it when the teams in Asia, EMEA, etc return the favor.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:33 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
Dumb idea! Ever heard of global teams? It is always day somewhere in the world! I personally work with teams spread across Asia, EMEA and Americas and quick emails are exchanged around the clock to be efficient. No one asks me to check my emails at 7am in my way to work, or at 11pm before I go to bed, but I do because I know 5 minutes of my time answering a quick question can save half a day for a team in Asia or EU.
Exactly, I am in the same boat - coworkers in both Asia and Europe. Multinationalism is the reality. I had a meeting at 2AM last week. At other times I may be the person in Asia for business travel answering local email at 2am for my US collegues. It's just part of the job. At the same time, I may take a sunny afternoon off so that it equals out somewhat. People live in another work world it seems...I guess they can limit this to the hourly wage transactional workers who have little impact. Sadly, those jobs are becoming obsolete or downgraded more and more.
For the rest - this is just unrealistic.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:45 PM

128 posts, read 372,879 times
As a salaried employee at a fast-paced environment, I make sure to check my email at night before I go to sleep. I don't enjoy it and don't plan on staying here for much longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment