Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 06:23 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,242,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guandekuan View Post
That's all the information. I didn't hide anything. The only reason she denied me is that day has 2 people approved off already. I rarely take days off work. I still have more than 2 weeks of vacation days that I haven't used for this year.
There's your first mistake.

Boss: Yes, you can both have leave on that day because Guandekuan will be here, he's always here!

Vacation leave is there for a reason. All work and no play makes you one very dull indivdual, as well as being bad for your health and mental wellness.

You need to stop being so "reliable".

It's probably why you have gut problems in the first place. Poor work/life balance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 08:19 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
On that day he wouldn't let you off eat some beans, cabbage, and boiled eggs. Let err RIP. Then just say you have stomach problems.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:52 PM

265 posts, read 409,542 times
Jesus Christ, what a cold world we live in where someone is being encouraged to suffer with potential health risk that may only get worse without necessary medical treatment because "work said no".

Old 04-12-2014, 08:58 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
Jesus Christ, what a cold world we live in where someone is being encouraged to suffer with potential health risk that may only get worse without necessary medical treatment because "work said no".
^^^^^^This ^^^^^^^^ I can't believe how many people are telling the OP to just suck it up and reschedule. If this were me, I'd be at the doctor on the scheduled date. No one gives me "permission" to takes are of my own health!

Old 04-12-2014, 10:43 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
^^^^^^This ^^^^^^^^ I can't believe how many people are telling the OP to just suck it up and reschedule. If this were me, I'd be at the doctor on the scheduled date. No one gives me "permission" to takes are of my own health!
limbo & dmills, here are two real world examples.

I am a retired school teacher. One year our school district told teachers on the first work day of school in the fall that they expected us to schedule all doctor appointments over Christmas vacation, spring vacation and during the summer. Imagine being told on August 20 that you couldn't see a doctor until late December, mid April or mid June?

They also told the teachers that even though we received 10 sick days a year "a good teacher would have perfect attendance or only be sick one or two days each year. If a teacher took three or more sick days we (the school district) would seriously question if you really wanted to continue working for us."

Needless to say morale was not very high that year.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:52 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,124,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

I am a retired school teacher. One year our school district told teachers on the first work day of school in the fall that they expected us to schedule all doctor appointments over Christmas vacation, spring vacation and during the summer. Imagine being told on August 20 that you couldn't see a doctor until late December, mid April or mid June?

They also told the teachers that even though we received 10 sick days a year "a good teacher would have perfect attendance or only be sick one or two days each year. If a teacher took three or more sick days we (the school district) would seriously question if you really wanted to continue working for us."

Glad I don't work in your district.

I hardly ever get sick, but earlier this year I got sick during my 2nd period class (I teach high school, so there is more flexibility than middle or elementary school). My colleagues covered my classes for me, as I have done in the past when they have needed help, and I ended up in the emergency room for tests.

If I was in your district, I probably would have come in when I was sick, but I would have made it a point to go see the principal that day to leave my germs all over his/her office.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:14 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,954 times
Quote:

That just makes me upset. I already think most teachers are grossly underpaid for what they do. Now, you're saying that you're expected to be in "cesspool of cooties" and NOT get sick? That asinine! Every person on the planet knows that schools are breeding grounds for all kind of germs and critters. Ugh. I'm sorry you had to go through that. It's just ridiculous.

Old 04-13-2014, 12:15 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,954 times
OP, do you login to C-D from work or use a work computer from home to do so? If so, this whole conversation can probably be tracked and you do not want it to come back to bite you later.

I hope you get things straightened out and get to feeling better soon!

Old 04-13-2014, 01:51 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
Quote:

Not uncommon though. My wife's old district told non-tenured teachers up front that if they took 4 sick days in a year they would not be back the next year. (And Missouri had 5 year tenure then, now 10 year.) This included FMLA. Since they could just non-renew an untenured teacher instead of firing them, FMLA retaliation was impossible to prove.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:30 PM

300 posts, read 1,136,789 times
Managers are like that in the end you must look out for yourself. Do your best to work out the situation rather it be switching off days with someone else and such but if that doesn't work than you can either just come into work or just take the day off; the choice is yours. Good luck believe me I've been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment