Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 01:05 AM

6 posts, read 8,803 times

Advertisements

I have worked at CPS for over 2 years now. I work with the families after the courts have given the state temporary custody of the children. Because I do not work in investigations, I am not on call and I rarely work weekends. I do have some last nights and emergency situations when I have to move children to a different placement that day. There is a lot of paperwork and documentation and trying to meet all the deadlines can be stressful.
Most of the parents are nice to me; however, there are some parents that direct their anger at the situation towards you especially if you are recommending termination of their parental rights. I have returned children to their parents and I have had parents thank me for being involved. Some parents lie straight to your face a lot of the time (you can tell because they frequently change their story of what happened). Fortunantley, we are allowed to disconnect the call if a parent becomes verbally abusive after we have given them a warning to stop cursing or the call will be disconnected.
It can also be frustrating at times when judges order you to do something that you feel is not in the children's best interests but you have to do it anyway because it is a court order.
I feel that I have a good work-life balance as I do not take my work home with me after hours. I think that is the most important thing to be able to do this job long-term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 02:41 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,760,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txlefty View Post
I have worked at CPS for over 2 years now. I work with the families after the courts have given the state temporary custody of the children. Because I do not work in investigations, I am not on call and I rarely work weekends. I do have some last nights and emergency situations when I have to move children to a different placement that day. There is a lot of paperwork and documentation and trying to meet all the deadlines can be stressful.
Most of the parents are nice to me; however, there are some parents that direct their anger at the situation towards you especially if you are recommending termination of their parental rights. I have returned children to their parents and I have had parents thank me for being involved. Some parents lie straight to your face a lot of the time (you can tell because they frequently change their story of what happened). Fortunantley, we are allowed to disconnect the call if a parent becomes verbally abusive after we have given them a warning to stop cursing or the call will be disconnected.
It can also be frustrating at times when judges order you to do something that you feel is not in the children's best interests but you have to do it anyway because it is a court order.
I feel that I have a good work-life balance as I do not take my work home with me after hours. I think that is the most important thing to be able to do this job long-term.
Thank you so much! I start in June. I get my packet next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment