Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 05:02 AM

630 posts, read 1,048,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinnle Corra View Post
PT requires sharp knowledge and skill in physics. I hear that admission to OT programs has become more science heavy as well. I do think SLP is the best bet, but don't most programs require at least neuroscience?

no OT programs are not science heavy...most just require physio and anatomy..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 08:00 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnyl View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. The OTA, I mentioned that to her, and she said in response, (because she currently is exposed to many professions where she works, in a retirement home), that she's seen OT's come and go there, to help some of the residents. She indicated she's going to talk to one of them about their experience.

She and I are going to look into that field, and research it some. I appreciate all the input.

She had, yes, at one point, thought of a CNA, but she is exposed to that field also where she works, and as one poster had indicated, the pay for that is typically just above minimum wage. She makes that already.

I appreciate all the great input. And yes we will talk to any school that she decides to consider, and try to put in place whatever accommodations that might be helpful for her.
I hope she finds it something she might be interested in! At the last facility I worked, one of the dietary staff's daughters was a high school student who thought she might be interested, so we let her come in and observe the therapy room and what we do, maybe her place will as well. It certainly can't hurt to have her do some volunteers hours there on her free time and to have the OT write a recommendation for her to the schools she applies to. If she is already comfortable with the elder population, that is a great bonus!

Old 04-16-2014, 01:59 PM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinnle Corra View Post
PT requires sharp knowledge and skill in physics. I hear that admission to OT programs has become more science heavy as well. I do think SLP is the best bet, but don't most programs require at least neuroscience?
SLP's need at least a 4 year degree and more often now, a Masters. SLP coursework is very difficult, particularly in communicative disorders and science requirements. SLP assistants are not in demand at all. Most hospitals, clinics, schools and nursing homes use only SLPs.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:16 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
This is what the BSN requires at my school:

Two semesters of General Chemistry or Nursing Chemistry. Only one lab required.
Two semesters of Human Anatomy and Physiology. Two labs required.
One semester of Introductory Biology. One lab required.
One semester of Microbiology. No lab.
One semester of Statistics
One semester of Nutrition (this involved a little bit of science, but very very little)
One semester of College Algebra

The regular General Chemistry sequence here does have little physics (the non-calculus physics) and even in the Nursing Chemistry (there is a special sequence to Nursing and PH students), the first semester was all algebra and right now we are learning all about lipids. Even in the "lower-level" chemistry I'm in right now still involves a good depth of science understanding, just not as much as the first semester general chemistry I was in.

https://www.nursing.arizona.edu/BSNtradPre.htm
Yeah, that's pretty typical. You can take Chemistry For Dummies or real chemistry. "College Algebra" is a bit of a misnomer. It just means Algebra II which is 10th or 11th grade math if being generous. The college I went to you had to have Algebra II completed and Trig was strongly recommended just to apply. You could get around it by testing well so it was possible to self-teach yourself as well. And that's for everyone, didn't matter what major.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:40 PM

551 posts, read 582,708 times
I'm surprised at all the PT/OT/SLP therapy suggestions. You do have to do very well in sciences and math for all three. OT school typically requires 2 semesters of A&P with lab and Stats. Some schools are upping requirements to include Bio and Chem. Not only that, the A&P courses may even have Chem as a pre-req (it does at my university). I've done a ton of research on all three professions, and as it stands currently, admissions to grad programs are super competitive, especially PT which will require Chem 1&2 and Physics 1&2. SLP programs may be the least competitive, but the pre- coursework is very science heavy (lots of anatomy and physiology of the ENT region), and applicants are usually required to have a BS in or a high number of credits of Communication Science & Disorders in order to be considered. What would one do with that degree if not accepted to grad school?

I agree with the previous suggestion that Recreation Therapy would be a great bet. Not sure what that job market is like, but there's tons of patient interaction and that type of degree requires very little science or math beyond what the college requires. This job might also be called Activities Coordinator or Director. I worked at a LTC with 120-odd residents, and the Activity Department was huge. Director and a bunch of full time staff. Also, ALHs often hire one or two Rec/Activities directors.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:30 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Not sure what "not good at science" means. Not good at the equations in chemistry? I cannot do algebra to save my life and flunked both sections of chemistry in my diploma RN school. Fortunately, chemistry was only part of a general "science" requirement. I found microbiology and A&P very understandable and not at all related to algebra/equations/math.

In my area, people have to pass a lab Chem course before being admitted to an RN program (at least, a 2-year program at community college). I was again lucky with my diploma program because I had a barely passing grade in a lab chem course in high school and it was less than ten years old. If I had to take Chemistry now, I'd hire a tutor and fight like crazy just to pass. Have never needed any of it in my job, and certainly the other science courses were much more relevant.

If OP's daughter's real skill is the interpersonal part of kindness and caring, a lot of the medical jobs mentioned wouldn't use her strength (like billing, etc.). Med assistant sounds closest, if not CNA. Aides in downtown big-deal hospitals do a lot, get paid well and are very important. Nursing homes, they do all the work and I'm not sure how they're paid. Lots of heavy lifting, and kindness goes a very long way. Maybe the daughter could start as a CNA and go from there- a lot of people do.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:19 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
U 2 cn b a medical assistant. Seriously, it's a one year certificate, and you don't need to be great at math or science, or, frankly, anything EXCEPT - you need to have good people skills, be well-organized, conscientious, and work quickly. And of course, not pass out at the sight of blood or bodily fluids. But the pay isn't great - maybe 16/hr in my area. Medical assistants do a lot of what RNs used to do in doctors' offices. The job is what you make of it. If you're good, you wind up being given a lot of responsibility.
Medical Assisting is a tad more involved than "...you don't need to be great at math or science, or, frankly, anything EXCEPT - you need to have good people skills, be well-organized, conscientious, and work quickly..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment