Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:48 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssteele89 View Post
Is going back and getting my bachelors worth the debt even though i already have a decent job?
What you're asking is "How do I find out what future demand will be?" The way to do that is by contract negotiation. Ask your current employer is they are willing to enter into a contract to pay you for the skills you'll attain. If they are willing to do a contract that will provide you with employment in the future that pays enough for you to make a profit on the schooling then your question is answered. If they are not willing to do that then you should contact some other companies. If you cannot find any that will do a contract then it shows no one is confident that the schooling is worth the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 09:35 AM

149 posts, read 179,058 times
My work does not offer tuition reimbursement unfortunately...

Old 04-14-2014, 12:00 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Your "Bellevue University" is an online school with no discernible merit. These outfits talk you into taking out expensive private loans that cannot be discharged in bankruptcy. Can't you find a public school to go to?

Old 04-14-2014, 01:02 PM

I did some research on the school. It's an accredited non profit college...I'm def looking to take online classes so i'm drawn to the online colleges.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:06 PM

Let's just say i would not compare Bellevue to a Devry or university of phoenix by any means

Old 04-14-2014, 01:39 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,818,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssteele89 View Post
Let's just say i would not compare Bellevue to a Devry or university of phoenix by any means
And to go further, I wouldn't compare Bellevue, DeVry, or Phoenix, to starting at a community college transfer program and going to a State University (and getting good grades!) either.

Go to night classes at community college (make sure you identify a good state school that will take the credits as transfer!) and you won't have to go into debt. Save your money, then quit work (if you need to) take out some loans as a last resort and transfer to a state school! Oh, and did I mention? GET GOOD GRADES!

DO NOT do the Bellevue, etc. route. DO NOT.

And, to answer your original question: YES. My bachelors degrees have been worth it! Engineering and Business. Have earned over 6 figures for over 20 years, worked and saved, and went at night, and didn't have any debt when I finished both. It can be done. . . Is it easy? NO. But, it can be done.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:47 PM

260 posts, read 605,504 times
In your case, yes, getting a B.S. would probably be worth it.

If the average high school senior asked me the question, I would say no.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:09 PM

Hmm interesting. I failed to mention! I have my associates in applied science from my local community college. I'm just going to school to finish a bachelors. It's hard to find a state school that offers online degrees with a degree i'm interested in. I live in Kansas City. Maybe i should just keep looking. Bellevue wasn't super expensive either. I'm just looking to get a bachelors degree to make more money. I'm not looking to go to a big name school or anything to be honest. Just to have on my resume. That's just me being honest.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:10 PM

If not Bellevue. What are some other reputable online colleges i could consider?

Old 04-14-2014, 02:15 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Does your current company have tuition reimbursement? Use that and no debt for you.

Is is worth it? Go to indeed.com, look for the jobs you want and review the requirements. If the jobs you want require a bachelors, then get it.

Don't get caught up in the anti-college arguments. Why make things more difficult for yourself? It's been proven that people with degrees have higher income overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment