Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 12:43 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,347 times

Advertisements

Any other insights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 12:48 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I agree, since it's just you and the boss, then a gift is almost necessary lol! What I like to give new parents is something for the parents and not the kid. Like a gift card for nice food delivery like someone else mentioned, or a spa treatment/massage, or if you can't think of anything, an Etsy gift card would be nice. And since you are the only employee, then I think it would be fine to up the value to $50. But, I also agree that you should make it out to the both of them.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:53 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Gift card is fine. You can even make it for $10 to Starbucks (new parents love coffee!).

Old 04-14-2014, 12:57 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,821,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I agree, since it's just you and the boss, then a gift is almost necessary lol! What I like to give new parents is something for the parents and not the kid. Like a gift card for nice food delivery like someone else mentioned, or a spa treatment/massage, or if you can't think of anything, an Etsy gift card would be nice. And since you are the only employee, then I think it would be fine to up the value to $50. But, I also agree that you should make it out to the both of them.
Oh totally. I was always going to. Planning on mailing it to them, that way it is more for the "both" of them.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:20 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,379,705 times
I'd get a card to both of them, and a gift card to a close to their home restaurant that does delivery or takeout. New parents love not having to cook or prepare meals.

As others have said, avoid diapers (not any old brand will do, and you have no idea if she plans to use cloth diapers), and absolutely no on formula or coupons. It sounds like a thoughtful and helpful gesture in theory but if she is breast feeding, it is a very unwelcome gift to a new mother, and if she's not then she will likely be particular on brand.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:37 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
A "congratulations" card would be okay, but a present would be overkill & look like brown-nosing.

If the office was bigger than just the 2 of you, you might consider organizing the rest of the team to have people contribute towards a baby gift from the whole office.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:41 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Working relationships are very crucial, workplace environments have become stale and "cube farms" if you will. I feel, as a manager of people, if you sent a card to my wife for having a baby, I would be very appreciative, and would reach out to you to thank you. This would open you up to dialog with your boss which can be a very productive thing.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:53 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,161,728 times
Why not a simple gift card to a take out restaurant? With a new baby they would probably really appreciate a simple meal at home.

Old 04-14-2014, 02:12 PM

2,120 posts, read 1,788,050 times
Since it is only the two of you in the office I think that it would be a nice gesture and wouldn't consider it overdoing it as long as you don't go overboard. If you were working in a larger office it would be a problem if you were doing it outside of something your coworkers were doing.

I think that a $25-$50 gift would be ok, you could see if they still have a registry up and get them something from there or a gift certificate to the store they're registered at. if you're married then i would indicate that the gift is from the both of you, it would make it seem a little less odd (it may seem like a stereotype but sending a gift sounds like something a wife would want her husband to do)

Old 04-14-2014, 02:19 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
It's more personal and less mercenary to give them an actual gift. Baby clothes and/or a book. I couldn't begin to tell you how many babies have gotten copies of "Goodnight, Moon" from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment