Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 06:53 AM

13,250 posts, read 7,304,105 times

Advertisements

Recently my department just got a new manager he put a goal on each of our annual reviews that we are required to volunteer at a company owned facility that works with street people looks like the goodwill. Anyway now he is asking we go to this place on a weekend and do this as a group but we won't be paid then he will take us for some food after that. It seems to me if I'm representing the company it benefits the company they should have to pay me to work there. The company is volunteering my time to do this function. I'm an hourly employee not exempt I don't care about eating food. I have my own ideas about what I want to volunteer for but if I try to get out of it ill look bad. I think because i'm an hourly employee they have to pay. I have worked at my company for 15 years and have never even heard of anyone required to do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 07:01 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,523,159 times
No way. I agree with you! so he's blackmailing people to volunteer on a weekend with "annual reviews" thing. Nice. Find a viable excuse to get out of it.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:04 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Yes, if this is a mandatory, job related activity you would need to be paid. Contact your state department of labor for guidance. You can probably have them notify your employer on your behalf so that you can remain an anonymous whistleblower.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:09 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Yeah, sue them. Heaven forbid you do something altruistic without being appropriately compensated.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:09 AM

absolutely if it is mandatory then the "job related activity needs to to be paid." but it's very needlessly autocratic to try to intimidate people with annual reviews about it, make them do it on a weekend and insist on not paying them. Maybe this manager is getting some kind of favor or $ "kickback" from the non profit organization.It happens.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:12 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
If you are required to be there, they are required to pay you. I would appreciate hearing about volunteer opportunities, but no one wants to be told they are volunteering on their day off. Someone needs to drop a dime on him as I imagine corporate has no idea that this is going on. Or you can go, hurt your back moving something, file a workman's comp claim, go for short term disability, and sit back and see what happens. It is probably easier just to end the charade with a phone call.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:16 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Yeah, sue them. Heaven forbid you do something altruistic without being appropriately compensated.

Being ordered to do something on your day off is not appropriate and is a violation of the law. Being given the opportunity is fine. You also have no idea whether the OP already volunteers, donates money, what his off time obligations are, etc., so being a little less judgemental would probably be wise.

Last edited by joe from dayton; 04-16-2014 at 07:53 AM..

Old 04-16-2014, 07:19 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,592,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
It's not altruism on the part of the boss. Forcing people to help others isn't the same thing as helping others. It's not altruism on the part of the workers because you can't be altruistic if you're forced.

It is, as others have noted, being forced to work on your day off without compensation and nothing else.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:21 AM

yea. it's ridiculous. altruism my backside.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:25 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Being ordered to do soimething on your day off is not appropriate and is a violation of the law. Being given the opportunity is fine. You also have no idea whether the OP already volunteers, donates money, what his off time obligations are, etc., so being a little less judgemental would probably be wise.
Everyone else is jumping to conclusions as well. We don't know if there is time off in lieu or other arrangements. I sincerely doubt that in this day and age, and based on the number of armchair lawyers so far this morning it's easy to see, that an employer requires volunteering without some other in kind compensation.

Like always, I'm sure there's two sides to every story.

That being said, since when would sacrificing a day to help others, even if it is organized by your company, be seen as such a malicious thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment