Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 11:27 AM

4 posts, read 15,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
There is not any legal requirement for a resignation to be in writing. Tons of people simply don't come back, call and say they quit or walk off the job.
But I never quit my job, yes I admit I said I will be quitting soon and when he came up to me and said we are done with you I was in the middle of working. I never walked off the premises or anything like that and I intended on going to my shifts that I was scheduled. I spoke to another manager that I am close with and she recommended that I go to the labour board because the way he handled it was not right. Everybody there knew that I was going to be quitting soon, and everybody knew that I would be because of school. I just feel like it should have been handled differently and explained fully to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 11:28 AM

531 posts, read 1,177,350 times
Yes, the "Formal" way to quit a job is to write a resignation letter. Informal way to quit your job is over the phone/email/tell your boss verbally you quit your job.

When it comes to unemployment hearing, it is pretty much OP's words against the manager's word. If OP admit saying "I will quit soon", it will not fly well with the unemployment hearing. Joking or not, "Soon" can be in 5 minutes, tomorrow, in 2 weeks, etc.

I doubt OP can get severance package, but do try to apply for unemployment anyway.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:30 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,278,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyb33 View Post
But I never quit my job, yes I admit I said I will be quitting soon and when he came up to me and said we are done with you I was in the middle of working. I never walked off the premises or anything like that and I intended on going to my shifts that I was scheduled. I spoke to another manager that I am close with and she recommended that I go to the labour board because the way he handled it was not right. Everybody there knew that I was going to be quitting soon, and everybody knew that I would be because of school. I just feel like it should have been handled differently and explained fully to me.
But it wasnt "explained fully" to you, and that's not illegal. If you quit, you are not eligible for Unemployment benefits. If you were fired for not following company policy, you are not eligible for Unemployment.

So, you most likely would not get unemployment, IMO. Just drop it and find another job.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:38 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,251 times
File for unemployment.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:39 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post
But it wasnt "explained fully" to you, and that's not illegal. If you quit, you are not eligible for Unemployment benefits. If you were fired for not following company policy, you are not eligible for Unemployment.

So, you most likely would not get unemployment, IMO. Just drop it and find another job.
True everyone is an at will employee, but if the manager asks you to leave then that is them firing you, in which case you can collect unemployment. Saying you are going to quit because of X is hearsay and would never stand up in front of a hearing board. I could very easily see the board asking the manager/owner if they fired the employee or if he is still an employee. Because the employee is confused and so is another manager then it would mean the employer was not formal about the dismissal and would likely be held accountable for negligence and ultimately unemployment. Fill out the correct paperwork and see what happens. Should this have gone down in a formal manner? Absolutely, but that doesn't change the situation. You need to learn from this as well. Work is not a place to make friends. The "friends" you make at work are just colleagues and some information should remain with you and no one else at all times.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeig104 View Post

I did not quit right that moment, he is a newer manager and the other managers had known about my situation with quitting soon. I had spoken with another manager and told him I would be putting my two weeks in soon because of my move and he said ok just let him know when. The other manager was totally fine with that, I'm not trying to get unemployment I will find another job and work to make money. I just want to file a complaint on the way it was handle because at my work place you need a written letter for your two weeks, or in some cases if you don't show up for a consecutive amount of shifts, or have a certain amount of write ups you are done. In my case that didn't happen, I have never missed a shift and I don't have any write ups.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
True everyone is an at will employee, but if the manager asks you to leave then that is them firing you, in which case you can collect unemployment. Saying you are going to quit because of X is hearsay and would never stand up in front of a hearing board. I could very easily see the board asking the manager/owner if they fired the employee or if he is still an employee. Because the employee is confused and so is another manager then it would mean the employer was not formal about the dismissal and would likely be held accountable for negligence and ultimately unemployment. Fill out the correct paperwork and see what happens. Should this have gone down in a formal manner? Absolutely, but that doesn't change the situation. You need to learn from this as well. Work is not a place to make friends. The "friends" you make at work are just colleagues and some information should remain with you and no one else at all times.
But manager can argue since OP said "I will Quit *soon" so he/she should not be @ the station anymore. From my understanding, many companies will not even let you go back to your office/cube/station after you quit. Any personal belongings will be mailed to the person's home address.

Even if you submit a letter telling your employer you will leave your job in 2 weeks, your employer can let you go the next day.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:47 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,733,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBunny View Post
But manager can argue since OP said "I will Quit *soon" so he/she should not be @ the station anymore. From my understanding, many companies will not even let you go back to your office/cube/station after you quit. Any personal belongings will be mailed to the person's home address.

Even if you submit a letter telling your employer you will leave your job in 2 weeks, your employer can let you go the next day.
Yup, just happened to me, but I also asked for it. They let me take my items and say goodbye to people.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBunny View Post

Can I not argue the fact that he came up to me and said clock out and leave we are done with you, because in my eyes I feel like that stands for firing if he told me to leave and that they are done with me. He never said since you said you are going to quit soon we have decided to let you go now. I would understand in that case but since that was not how it was dealt with I feel like I was fired. I already called this morning and talked to someone and I am put as terminated in the systems. So to me that is being fired.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivyb33 View Post
Can I not argue the fact that he came up to me and said clock out and leave we are done with you, because in my eyes I feel like that stands for firing if he told me to leave and that they are done with me. He never said since you said you are going to quit soon we have decided to let you go now. I would understand in that case but since that was not how it was dealt with I feel like I was fired. I already called this morning and talked to someone and I am put as terminated in the systems. So to me that is being fired.
You can file complains or unemployment. Is a he said she said things and people can interpret the situation differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment