Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 11:23 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Why do you keep trying to tell others how much money they should be allowed to make or spend?
People should speak up if there is great inequity or injustice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Fast Food Execs have extraordinarily difficult jobs,
I doubt it is any more complicated or difficult than engineering, auto mechanics, construction, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
An enlightened society would nurture the positives instead of the negatives,
This type of society has never existed. If you want to understand why, read The New Science, by Giambattista Vico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Capitalism is the ONLY just economic system possible.
Although it may be more just than others systems, it is not just in and of itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 11:43 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post

The other points that Rambler makes is that what happens if everyone goes to school, works hard and does well, gets a STEM degree, internships and the whole 9 yards. It is a fact that there are not enough STEM jobs to employ all the graduates, let alone people who are unemployed, underemployed, working outside of STEM, etc. It's called Supply and Demand.
If they are going not as a long-term investment, but just for the STEM job market of the moment (or any other field), they have messed up big-time before even starting their career.

Supply and Demand is forever changing. Just 15 years ago, employers faced a terrible job market, with incredibly low unemployment.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:45 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post

Finally, keep in mind that just because something is legal doesn't mean it is correct from a moral viewpoint. .
and surely, you are the keeper of the "moral" code.

Newsflash: Moral judgments are subjective; 7 billion people have one, and every one a bit different.

There is no one moral viewpoint.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:06 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
and surely, you are the keeper of the "moral" code.

Newsflash: Moral judgments are subjective; 7 billion people have one, and every one a bit different.

There is no one moral viewpoint.
Don't hide behind moral relativism - you're better than that. I'm pretty sure among those 7 billion people, you'd be hard pressed to find too many who think the following are acceptable and good for society:

1) Basing a society on cronyism vs. merit.

2) Allowing the extremely wealthy and powerful to buy up government and rewrite laws in their favor at the expense of the average citizens.

3) Funneling money and power to those at the top, thus allowing plenty of qualified individuals at the bottom to end up in poverty or worse as the jobs vanish.

4) Inversely linking power / wealth with social responsibility - i.e. the wealthy executive or politician can do whatever he wants and it is "good" because he is wealthy, but the working poor are somehow to blame for everything because they are "stupid / lazy / uneducated / whatever" simply because they are poor.

And yet the above is what we see every day in this nation - and elsewhere - thanks to a privileged few defining society and hanger-on's supporting this mess in the hopes that someday they'll be wealthy enough to be above the rules.

Last edited by Rambler123; 04-30-2014 at 12:35 PM..

Old 04-30-2014, 09:00 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Today, as expected, this Great Move to increase the minimum wage was "defeated" in the house.

I say "defeated" because the move never existed in the first place. Obama, with Great Fanfare, announced that he was "increasing" the minimum wage for all government contractors - future contractors, that is. So his "announcement" affected exactly no one.

But his loyalists, unaware that they were being used, took up the call and shouted to all that there would soon be equitable pay for EVERYONE!
Obama never wanted that. He knew it would fail, as it should. But now he and Harry Ried will have something to be "outraged" about. They will howl with "indignation".
They will not. As usual, they will be laughing at the simpletons who believe that they are represented by this administration and pat themselves on their back for their cleverness. They will hope this "defeat" by "The Republicans" will be remembered come November.

It will not. Most people see the foolishness in raising the minimum wage for people who are simply not qualified to do much and will reward those politicians who are wise enough to vote against it.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:41 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times
Let's just state the obvious. There should be no minimum wage at all. The minimum wage is price fixing, and we all know that is bad. The minimum wage is a constructive monopoly, and we all have been told that that is bad. Wages should be set by private agreement and according to supply and demand. Why? Because that reflects freedom, fairness, and justice.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:46 PM

820 posts, read 1,209,345 times
Why do people think fast food workers deserve more? Seriously I have friends who work in it and they do not take it serious smoke weed on breaks ect ect normal min wage behavior (leave it for when your off the job...). Most of the time when I purchase fast food the order is wrong and the workers are ignorant. I cant wait til the companies finally implement technology to replace these workers. It will provide a better service and product for us all!

Old 05-01-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Let's just state the obvious. There should be no minimum wage at all. The minimum wage is price fixing, and we all know that is bad. The minimum wage is a constructive monopoly, and we all have been told that that is bad. Wages should be set by private agreement and according to supply and demand. Why? Because that reflects freedom, fairness, and justice.
Buzzwords and slogans are not reality.

Even Forbes - an organization that is no fan of the worker class - knows we need a minimum wage:

Why We Need A Minimum Wage - Forbes

Everyone else has figured it out, too:

This Graph Shows Why We Need To Raise The Minimum Wage | ThinkProgress

Easy Economics: Why do we have minimum wage?

The Minimum Wage and the Laws of Economics

I realize that your understanding of economics is based upon belief vs. facts and a notion that we live in some sort of Just World where the enemy is somehow the government... which is the people... vs. the elite, but I feel it is necessary to post the truth since others here may be interested.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:07 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdemak View Post
Why do people think fast food workers deserve more? Seriously I have friends who work in it and they do not take it serious smoke weed on breaks ect ect normal min wage behavior (leave it for when your off the job...). Most of the time when I purchase fast food the order is wrong and the workers are ignorant. I cant wait til the companies finally implement technology to replace these workers. It will provide a better service and product for us all!
So true.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdemak View Post
Ah, yes - the usual argument of: "I saw a bunch of guys who are lazy and work minimum wage, so they must all be that way." Because that's a scientific, data-driven approach to socio-economic problems.

I love the eagerness with which the corporatists wish unemployment on their fellow citizens. After all, one clearly doesn't deserve to work if you happen to mess up some guy's cheeseburger! It must be hard for the corporatists, being so perfect, so "self-made," in a world surrounded by people they've declared idiots... Poor babies... maybe higher unemployment and lower wages will fix all this... right...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment