Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 12:36 PM

11 posts, read 27,308 times

Advertisements

So I'm sort of in a new dilemma. I started a new job (Job 1) this past week and I pretty much hate it. It's pretty mind-numbing and not what I expected. My work is very routine and I don't see that much growth out of it. The upside is that it's easy, straightforward and my boss is pretty nice. The work environment is laid back. Downside is that it's boring, doesn't pay that much and it doesn't have any benefits until a year later where I get one week vacation and 3 sick days. Overall, I just don't see myself sticking around for very long.

I went on a job interview yesterday for a better paying position (Job 2) that is more in line with what I want to do with my career. I can definitely see long-term growth here. The pay jump is quite nice and since it's quite a large company, there will most likely be benefits. The issue is that the work will definitely be more challenging and perhaps, stressful at times. The supervisor seems nice as well, but I can tell he has higher expectations of me. Well, I got offered the position this morning. Only thing is, they want to start me off as a contractor and after a month, they will decide whether or not they want to make me an employee.

So my question is, which job should I take? Should I stick with a less risky, easy and non-challenging job as a full time employee or should I take the risk and go with a challenging, more exciting job and hope that they like me enough to hire me as an employee? My friends and family say to go with Job 2 and I'm leaning more towards it anyways, but I want to give it some thought before jumping in. With Job 1, I feel like there's more job security but with Job 2, I feel like there's the potential for better growth and career prospects. However, taking Job 2 is riskier and if they don't want to keep me, I'll be out without a job again.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 01:03 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Job 2.

That is if you are young, single, and have few responsibilities (i.e. you don't need health care for a young family), etc.

Take the change. If you're young and getting started, now is the time to take the risks.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:27 PM

398 posts, read 746,586 times
Job 2, DEFINITELY. Don't be afraid of the "stress" or responsibilities.. you're putting yourself down if you think that way. I'm sure you can manage it and so what if your boss has high expectstions, that's GOOD! You're constantly challenged and if you do great (which I'm sure you will), why not? And you said you see long term growth there which for me personally is VERY important. And don't let the 'contract' part scare you... I feel like they will eventually hire you anyways if you do good, unless you plan to **** up big time haha. If you are able to land 2 jobs right now I'm sure you can land another one if this one doesn't work out.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:56 PM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
Job 2. I feel like the contract-to-hire scenario is more common today. Plus, if your current job isn't offering you ANY benefits, I don't see what the downside would be to leaving (besides the salary, of course, but you say it's low).

For what it's worth, I left a full-time job for a contract-to-hire position 3 years ago and in my case, it all worked out. No regrets and I'm happy I took the risk, as it was a good move for my career and long-term goals.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:34 AM

275 posts, read 773,554 times
After being unemployed for a year, job security is very important for me. However, if you are young and single and have less reaponsibilities, i would go with job 2. It is a risk but you may have to take it.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:13 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
I agree if you are young, take job #2. You'll probably get bored with #1 and with #2, even though it is challenging, once you get the hang of it you will appreciate that it's not boring.

One week of vacation and 3 sick days after one year in a job that doesn't pay very much?

Old 04-26-2014, 06:53 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times
If job 2 doesn't work out, are there other positions out there that you could find without too much difficulty that would be comparable to Job 1? If the market is hard in your job right now, then I'd be more weary. If you're getting job offers and it seems like if you lost that job it wouldn't break you, then definitely take it.

I went from having a good secure full time position to going to contractor work 2 years ago. My first position after my "secure" job, doubled my pay. I worked a couple other contract jobs, and am still at one where I'll come on full time this summer, making over 2.5x what my original "secure" job was at... I've never been unemployed since leaving and have rolled right from one job to another.

I'm all for it, but only you can know the job market for your position, as well as your marketable skills for yourself.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:48 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
In my field I'd never take a contract job over FTE. I guess in your case though with no benefits at your current job I'd take the contract job and keep looking for something even better.

Old 04-26-2014, 08:40 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,512,221 times
Since you already don't like job 1 - go for job 2 and knock them out with your abilities. There is zero sense in staying with a job you hate.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:06 PM

31 posts, read 30,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Job 2.

That is if you are young, single, and have few responsibilities (i.e. you don't need health care for a young family), etc.

Take the change. If you're young and getting started, now is the time to take the risks.

I second this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment