Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 08:05 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,281,631 times

Advertisements

I think that most places just want you to be able to explain job history. They do not want to hire a flake. No harm in that, but they should not hold that against anyone. Congrats on your new position, hope it works out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 07:24 AM

858 posts, read 1,795,423 times
Congratulations! And no, I don't think you're job hopping.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:49 AM

2,055 posts, read 2,550,700 times
Again, when the market is hot for potential employees, employers will look for any reason to hire someone. When the market is tepid like it is these days, they will look for any reason NOT to hire someone. They can be picky right now. It's not a great time to be looking.

Old 05-15-2014, 10:58 AM

34,806 posts, read 30,852,651 times
Call center work is easy come, easy go and being fired and working at another center is pretty common. Glad you got out of that and I wouldn't ever go back into cesspool.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:03 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,769,504 times
If companies don't like job hoppers then they should make it a worthwhile position that people don't want to hop from. It's like a relationship a great woman never has a problem getting the wedding ring. I'll stick it to corporate America any day of the week and laugh at them while sippin' my fine Belgian beer at happy hour.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:06 PM

40 posts, read 182,139 times
I'm a fellow "job hopper." My last 2 positions were temp jobs which ended. Unfortunately I have also been told my employers that I have had too many jobs in the last few years (although from 1998-2010 I was with 1 company).
In my thread about job hopping I received some great advice, and I added why my positions ended - layoff, then temp position - position ended). I also brought up the fact that I have worked temp jobs at my last interview, and I made sure the hr department knew that I am seeking a long term position.
I hope that something works.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,066 posts, read 80,100,596 times
When they have so many applicants for every job, many employers are not interested in the reasons for the job hopping and whether they are justified or not. It's easy to make things up that can't be verified so they just move on to the next applicant. Leaving off the 3rd job may help though they may ask you about the gap.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:50 PM
PJA

2,460 posts, read 3,153,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scared to Life View Post
In my last 3 interviews the interviewers have remarked that I have had way to many jobs in 6 years. I have only had 3 jobs in 6 years. All three jobs are in the same industry, Customer Service, and each job change was for a legitimate reason.

Job 1 Call Center Customer Service job worked for 2 years ended the job because I still lived at home with my mom and was only 19 and she was moving to another state and I didn't make enough money to live on my own.

Job 2 Call Center Customer Service job worked for almost 3 years even got 3 promotions while working with the company. I had to quit the job because I was hospitalized and during the recovery period I needed a very lax schedule and the company was not able to accommodate the schedule.

Job 3 Call Center Tech Support job only worked 5 months because I was not good at IT, felt I was taking a job away from someone that that wanted to do the job(Probably not a good reason to quit but I had no passion for this job)

All of these jobs were left in the right way with two weeks notices, and I keep up with two of the HR managers, they email me whenever they are references for me.

So I have finished two degrees, graduated one with honors, have gotten almost a dozen accolades from the school, and inducted into 2 honor societies. But all these companies looked at on my resume was that I have had 3 jobs in 6 years. One interviewer even said that I was a job hopper and seem to change jobs very often. I am only 24 and have no clue what else to say to interviewers to better impress them. Any suggestions on what to say to make myself look better?
Well they wouldn't want to see my resume! lol

Seriously I've had more jobs in a six year period than that and have never been told that, but if I were you I would do like another poster suggested and leave of job 2 since you only worked there 5 months. That may be the real issue....the length of time at that job. Generally I would only include a job you have worked AT LEAST 6 months in if not 1 year.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:55 PM

7,017 posts, read 14,404,591 times
Job hopping isn't so bad if you've developed a great professional reputation and learned new skills. My dad worked at a corporate job for 11 years and developed a great reputation in his field until the company ran into problems in the financial crisis and he was laid off. Since then, he's had quite a few jobs with tenures less than 1 year before he finally found one worth staying at.

One of the advantages of job hopping is the potential to learn new skills.. so if you choose this route, learn as many diverse skills as you can and if an interviewer confronts you about it, tell them something likes "Yeah, but I learned X, Y, and Z skills at all these jobs."

Old 05-15-2014, 06:46 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,776,020 times
I think the term job hopping is overused because when I was hired in 2012, I had already lost 2 jobs since 2009. So if you go to a interview and connect with the interviewer they will not care about how long you were at your last jobs. Only if you have a look that makes you unqualified for their work environment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment