Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 09:45 AM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We do have a policy. Any employee can take an hour for lunch, or if they prefer, 1/2 hour and leave 1/2 hour earlier. Starting times also vary by policy from 6:30am to 10:00am. I allow some flexibility on occasion but generally require them to choose start time and lunch length and stick to it so people know who's there when. I do not require scheduling of when they go to lunch.
Whenever they are hungry.
Good policies, they sound fair and reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby9 View Post
The thing is, as an employer I wouldn't want employees skipping lunch. A hungry worker is a worker that will make mistakes.
For someone who only eats a lunch and then skips it, I could see that being a problem. I never take lunches unless I need to leave the office for an errand. What I normally do is snack at my desk every couple of hours. The snacks range from a cup of instant oatmeal, to yogurts, an apple or orange, a granola bar or peanut butter and crackers; therefore hunger does not become an issue and those snacks are not disruptive to the work.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:55 AM

898 posts, read 1,219,012 times
i go to the bathroom (number 1) about once every 90 minutes or so on average every day. i wake up 3-5 times a night to go number 1. i have had oab since i was 9 or so. the medication docs. gave me doesn't work. i still feel the bladder in pain. anyway, i go to the toilet for like 1 minute or maybe 2 and i am back at work. i have never had an issue with that by any employer but then again i have only worked for a few companies in my life and they have been alright. i could not work at a job where i could not go to the toilet for a quick minute or two within every 90 minutes or so. it's a real medical issue, not some free break time.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:56 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
If you don't have a policy in place, then you can't assume people will follow based on expectations.

Old 04-26-2014, 09:59 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,520,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop_x View Post
Anyone else encountered employees (salaried) who work 8:30 to 5:30 shifts (pretty normal hours, imo) and who feel like, if they skip the lunch break they are given, they can just leave at 4:30? Business hours are from 8:30 to 5:30 - you'd better be there at the start and close of the day. I don't care if you don't want to take the hour for lunch you are given, you work until 5:30, unless you have an appointment and truly need to leave. Leaving an hour early everyday just because you sat at your desk while you ate lunch? Makes my head spin how entitled people are these days.
I think you're the entitled one to think that you can get a free hour of work out of your employees. There can be a huge difference in the evening commute by leaving at 4:30 rather than 5:30, so why not let them go at 4:30 if they're worked the full eight hours?

Old 04-26-2014, 10:14 AM

19 posts, read 27,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
There can be a huge difference in the evening commute by leaving at 4:30 rather than 5:30, so why not let them go at 4:30 if they're worked the full eight hours?
Not my problem.

It's a matter of rules. If employees are expected to work for eight hours between 8:30 and 5:30, then they should stay until the close of business, which is 5:30! It doesn't matter if they skip their lunch break - they need to be there until 5:30. Besides, it wouldn't kill people to work nine hours a day. What do you do that's so important that an extra hour at work and another 30 minutes added onto your commute means the end of the world?

No one said you had to have kids.

No one said you had to live 45 minutes away.

No one said you had to take this job.

It's a free country. You can always quit!

Old 04-26-2014, 10:20 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Anyone else encountered employees (salaried) who work 8:30 to 5:30 shifts (pretty normal hours, imo) and who feel like, if they skip the lunch break they are given, they can just leave at 4:30? Business hours are from 8:30 to 5:30 - you'd better be there at the start and close of the day. I don't care if you don't want to take the hour for lunch you are given, you work until 5:30, unless you have an appointment and truly need to leave. Leaving an hour early everyday just because you sat at your desk while you ate lunch? Makes my head spin how entitled people are these days.
It depends on the job, and it would be up to their supervisor to approve or not approve this arrangement.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:22 AM

Giving employees a little bit of flexibility in the timing of their work day is a very cheap, perhaps even free, way for many employers to improve employee morale.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
I'm not in healthcare, I'm in an office. Are salaried people really able to get away with leaving an hour early if they skip lunch?

I'm with the poster who talked about those who sit at their desk and peck away. I never allow myself more than ten minutes to eat lunch, because I feel like I'm robbing the company if I take longer.
That is your own problem. You are entitled to a break, and it is better for you, better for productivity to take at least a half hour to eat and recharge. If you work for 4 hours before lunch, and 4 hours after lunch, how would taking a lunch hour be "robbing the company?"

Old 04-26-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Not my problem.

It's a matter of rules. If employees are expected to work for eight hours between 8:30 and 5:30, then they should stay until the close of business, which is 5:30! It doesn't matter if they skip their lunch break - they need to be there until 5:30. Besides, it wouldn't kill people to work nine hours a day. What do you do that's so important that an extra hour at work and another 30 minutes added onto your commute means the end of the world?

No one said you had to have kids.

No one said you had to live 45 minutes away.

No one said you had to take this job.

It's a free country. You can always quit!
In some jobs, the expectation is that you work for 8 hours/day. Where you fit them in is up to you. No one said you have to limit your lunch to 10 minutes, either, but that's what you do.

I'm confused. If you are in charge of these employees, and for customer service reasons, they should be staying until 5:30, then tell them that. If these are just coworkers, then you could be doing the same that they are, apparently. They are working their 8 hours. It doesn't sound like it is any of your concern how they do it. If you want the same treatment, then leave after 8 hours. It seems like it isn't against the rules.

Last edited by Kibbiekat; 04-26-2014 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment