Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 08:32 AM

19 posts, read 27,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Maybe they took their lunch at 4:30.
Sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 08:37 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,021,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coop_x View Post
Sure.

Again OP-why do you care?? You must be a lot of fun at parties...... oh yeah I forgot

Old 04-27-2014, 08:38 AM

4,263 posts, read 8,133,722 times
Quote:
Anyone else encountered employees (salaried) who work 8:30 to 5:30 shifts (pretty normal hours, imo) and who feel like, if they skip the lunch break they are given, they can just leave at 4:30? Business hours are from 8:30 to 5:30 - you'd better be there at the start and close of the day. I don't care if you don't want to take the hour for lunch you are given, you work until 5:30, unless you have an appointment and truly need to leave. Leaving an hour early everyday just because you sat at your desk while you ate lunch? Makes my head spin how entitled people are these days.

Why?

My normal schedule is 8-5... Most days I work from 730-530 and eat lunch at my desk to get everything done, sometimes I stay even later. If I want to leave at 330 or 400 on Friday or another day during the week, I do. My boss has told me to do that, actually.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:46 AM

1,024 posts, read 1,037,655 times
I remember having a petulant obsession with everyone else's adherence to the rules when I was about six years old. Then my character evolved. So there's hope.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:50 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,543,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Rarely do I get upduring work. I like to come in and leave only once a day. I bring food from home or I don't eat. I don't even use the restroom until it's time to go home.

As others have mentioned, this is not healthy. It's a fairly strong risk factor for various bad health outcomes.

Dangers of ... sitting? Regardless of exercise, too much sedentary time is linked to major disability after 60 -- ScienceDaily

Old 04-27-2014, 10:00 AM

8,860 posts, read 6,172,331 times
Quote:
Besides, it wouldn't kill people to work nine hours a day. What do you do that's so important that an extra hour at work and another 30 minutes added onto your commute means the end of the world?
An extra hour of work and another 30 minutes added to the commute per day adds up to seven and a half hours per week and amounts to 390 hours per year. That is almost two and a half weeks of time given up per year. I'd rather save that two and a half weeks for the times when mandatory OT comes around and not give it up to the employer voluntarily.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:12 AM

3,158 posts, read 6,097,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
In my opinion there are only three scenarios where mandating assigned hours to salaried people is justified.

(1) Manufacturing/production where employees must be onsite during specified hours to keep the facility output going.

(2) Client facing employees who must be onsite as customers can arrive any time the business is open.

(3) Employees for whom answer calls from clients any time the business is open is a significant portion of their duties.

It is my understanding that assigned hours is one of several criteria the government uses to determine if an employee should be salaried versus hourly and eligible for overtime. I don't know how your entity stacks up against the other criteria but I would tread lightly. One complaint by a disgruntled employee could lead to an investigation. Those investigations can be a royal pain in the arse.
(4) Education. You can't leave kids in the school by themselves, and even if high school teachers have the first or last period off, they are expected to be at the school.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:29 AM

8,860 posts, read 6,172,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
(4) Education. You can't leave kids in the school by themselves, and even if high school teachers have the first or last period off, they are expected to be at the school.

Very good point. The teaching profession specifically did not cross my mind when I wrote that reply, however one could consider the students as customers/clients and then the teachers would fall under (2).

Old 04-27-2014, 11:28 AM

1,971 posts, read 3,032,324 times
If the employee is salaried and exempt I'm not sure what the problem is. I've never had a salaried position where anyone cared when or even where I did the work so long as the work got done.

Old 04-27-2014, 12:19 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,615,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby9 View Post
The thing is, as an employer I wouldn't want employees skipping lunch. A hungry worker is a worker that will make mistakes.
To be fair, how would you ensure that people consumed a meal worthy of being called "lunch" at a certain time of the day, for which they were not being paid? Surely you couldn't force them to eat, could you? Would you prevent them from eating between arrival and "lunch" in order to make sure their appetites were sufficient to consume enough food at "lunch"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment