U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 11:24 PM

151 posts, read 214,442 times

Advertisements

This morning, I had some free time so I pulled up the Engineering Project Data and I found out that in the last two years I have done 3.5x the amount of work compared to other Engineers. No one even got close to half of the number of projects that I have completed. My company is unique in that we have many small design projects that are roughly equal in time and effort and the data is posted online.

I don't feel that I am overworked, although the designers who support the Engineers feel that I do and they all told me to slowdown. I really enjoy my work and the Sales Managers all want me to work on their projects. I put in no more than 45 hours a week. I probably work 6 hours a day, the other 2 to 3 hours is spent chatting, talking on the phone, walking around the plant, surfing and shopping on the internet. This morning I was thinking if I put in 6 hours a day, how many hours do other Engineers really work?

Is this also your experience that people waste a lot of time at work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 01:10 AM

2,563 posts, read 2,592,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNguyen View Post
This morning, I had some free time so I pulled up the Engineering Project Data and I found out that in the last two years I have done 3.5x the amount of work compared to other Engineers. No one even got close to half of the number of projects that I have completed. My company is unique in that we have many small design projects that are roughly equal in time and effort and the data is posted online.

I don't feel that I am overworked, although the designers who support the Engineers feel that I do and they all told me to slowdown. I really enjoy my work and the Sales Managers all want me to work on their projects. I put in no more than 45 hours a week. I probably work 6 hours a day, the other 2 to 3 hours is spent chatting, talking on the phone, walking around the plant, surfing and shopping on the internet. This morning I was thinking if I put in 6 hours a day, how many hours do other Engineers really work?

Some people are stupid. Some people are lazy. Some people work slow purposely.

I have worked in places where I could do as much work as most other people with the same job in the same office, and be finished by noon or earlier. Eventually, being good at what you do helps with promotions and so on. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:37 AM

6,717 posts, read 11,173,836 times
Doing way more work than your peers is not a bad thing, provided you're not working longer hours than they are.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:56 AM

9,282 posts, read 7,300,835 times
Most jobs are scheduled for 8 hours days. However, getting the actual job done can take much less.

I say do your job well, meet your metrics and don't worry about the extra time.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:03 PM

821 posts, read 882,694 times
Edit: Wrong thread.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:14 PM

3,558 posts, read 4,142,267 times
This is good to hear..

However, I do feel the reason they may be telling you to slow down is it sort of does make the other employees look bad. Of course, this is of no fault of your own as you are doing feel is fit for your job, but it can make others uneasy.

Have you received raises since your time there? Are you compensated as well as you feel you should be? If not, I would make sure to mention your production at the next point of review.

I am required to be present where I work for the hours the company works, but pretty much have a certain "set" amount of work to actually do. No one else has a similar position to me, but I do feel uneasy sometimes when I see people who are slammed busy every day. I have been here almost a year, and on any given 10 hour day I can do around 3-6 hours of actual work. It almost makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong, however everyone I work for and with is always satisfied with my work. I have never had any people above me make mention of something I have done wrong or am doing wrong. Many know that I am not very busy, and never make mention of it. I know my position is important, and I'm one of few qualified, but it just makes me a bit uneasy when I have so much down time. I figure as long as I do everything I am required and don't make mistakes, then I am good to go regardless. I am in a management position, so if I decide to work "harder" as "busy" work, it will be more like "micromanaging" which I don't feel is necessary as long as the companies work flow is running smooth.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:35 PM

6,956 posts, read 10,836,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNguyen View Post

If the place that you work is not challenging enough for you, then switch jobs. I guarantee you there are plenty of sink or swim meatgrinder engineering firms where somebody will look at you as the 'lazy' one. Or better yet, become a neurosurgeon, who is surely laughing at the 'lazy' engineers.

Otherwise, do your own job at your own pace and, stop talking trash about your co-workers. Some of them are there to do their job, make a living, and enjoy life. Your pretentious attitude will come out and you will not be liked. Guarantee it. You had a similar thread a while back.

Life lesson...

Old 05-03-2014, 01:21 PM

2,839 posts, read 4,758,958 times
Maybe use that as leverage for a raise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or