Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 12:48 PM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I know this is a very general question, but I was wondering if I could get some clarity about the job outlook for college graduates. I've heard some very dire reports, but doesn't it also depend on the type of degree?
I've Googled, but besides wading through the subjects from "top ten in Australia" or reviews of "What Color is your Parachute" I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks,
Mom of a bright, but not an "honor student type" discouraged young adult making his way through community collage who's father (my ex) keeps telling him it's hopeless because of the "1%".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 01:01 PM

836 posts, read 1,031,976 times
What an awful thing for his father to put him down.

You are right- the job outlook depends on several different factors. What major/degree they achieved, as well as their location after obtaining their degree. For instance, if someone has a strong interest in Politics, they may be more inclined to move to DC. If someone has a strong interesting pursuing entertainment, Hollywood/Los Angeles may be their cup of tea. For me, advertising is my passion so I moved to NYC. It really just depends on his interest.

Now, on the plus side, I think it's smart that he enrolled in community college. He is saving a ton of money by doing this, as opposed to going straight to a 4-year university. Especially, since most 4-year universities require their freshmen students to live in dorms, purchase their expensive meal plans, etc. There's just so much extra added costs.

What field of study is your son interested in? If he is planning on transferring to a 4-year university, he should be prepared to have a major in mind, as you have to declare that your junior year.

Basically, being an 'honor student type' can certainly help with the job outlook, (not to mention with pursuing a higher education like a master's program, etc.), however there are plenty of people doing just fine with the right contacts, right attitude, living in the right city with endless networking opportunities, etc. Don't let your ex get him down. Self-esteem is crucial, especially during the job hunting, and interview process.

Good luck- I'm sure he will do fine! He seems like he's already on the right track!

Old 05-01-2014, 01:15 PM

417 posts, read 867,620 times
Your ex is an idiot and probably a defeated man, don't let that rub off on the kid.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:24 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,667,790 times
I'm a recent college graduate (2011) who is gainfully employed in my industry. I didn't have tons of trouble finding a job, but it did take effort. I have done a little looking here and there since beginning and found that the job market is in fact tight.

But here's a link I found put out by Huffington Post that may be helpful for you.
Unemployment For Recent College Graduates By Major

That being said, this is unemployment rate - not underemployment rate, which I suspect would be considerably higher regardless of degree.

Another study done by CNN addresses this:
Recent college grads face 36% 'mal-employment' rate - Jun. 25, 2013

Old 05-01-2014, 06:01 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
My goodness... Your ex's attitude is like poison for anyone that would entertain his ideology. Are things tough? Well, we have seen better times. Are they hopeless? Of course not, unless you would prefer it that way.

I have many friends who have graduated college in the recent past... Say, within the past 2 to 3 years. The ones who are flipping burgers or scanning groceries tend to be the helpless types. That is to say, the folks who depended on their parents for everything in their lives. Some are book smart, but lack common sense or real world experience. You're going to need some of both going forward. There are many folks who refuse to leave their familiar surroundings, which severally limits the number of options available.

I don't want to suggest that every grad who is un(der)employed is to blame, but there are often underline details that should be considered. As I mentioned, I think your ex's attitude is best left disregarded, but the troubles in the labor market should be acknowledged for what they are. It will likely take longer to secure a FT career level job when compared to years past. Young workers may not have the luxury of picking and choosing what opportunity they pursue. In many cases, there won't be much room for wage/salary negotiation.

All is not lost though. Almost every one of my friends has some type of job. Even if the job they have leaves something to be desired, it still counts as experience. The best advice that I can really give is to get as much experience on a resume as possible.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:40 PM

3,887 posts, read 4,540,926 times
Thanks for the replies and wisdom :-)
Ex hubby really isn't a horrible person, but seems in his old age he's regressing to his old "hippy generation self. ("There's gong to be cival unrest!") Ha ha... hmmm. Maybe he's going senile?
Anyway, we both have our shortcomings, but I actually recently pointed out that his pessimistic outlook wasn't doing our son any favors.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:21 PM

64 posts, read 84,260 times
There is a difference between realism and pessimism. The realistic truth about the new permanent US economy and the problems that come with that for new graduates is not good at all. But telling someone it is hopeless and to give up? That is most definitely pessimism.

A college degree is better than nothing, but if he is not an honor student type and/or is not going to work on other factors really hard to compensate for that, then as already mentioned, it is best to consider cost the primary factor for his college career. Graduate with as little debt as possible, preferably none at all, so that it is no big deal if it takes him a really long time afterwards for the degree to afford him opportunity he did not already have.

The competition for opportunities available for new college graduates is extremely fierce. College prestige/reputation, degree/major, GPA, internships, work experience during and before college, extracurricular activities, networking, quantitative coursework, technical coursework, interview skills, "people" skills, and communication skills (both verbal/written) are ALL critical factors for the post-graduate job search. For every factor that does not end up in the "pro" column of his college career, the likely quality and quantity of post-graduate opportunities decrease. If he ends up missing many of those, it could be a big problem. There are thousands of people graduating every year that have successfully landed all of these factors in the "pro" column by graduation. Many, many thousands more have a varying amount of these factors going in their favor. And many of them are still unemployed or working at low-level fast food and retail.

But, no harm done to his life if he graduates with no debt. Low undergraduate GPA can potentially have long-term consequences years down the road though, if he ever decides to go to graduate or professional school of any kind. So he should make sure he has no plans for that if he is making low grades now.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:18 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Are you from Australia? You may get a better response over in the Australia forum.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/australia-new-zealand/

Old 05-01-2014, 09:39 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times
The number 1 option for a recent college grad is to go to a temp agency. Temp agency will help you get some experience that can lead to a permanent job

Old 05-02-2014, 07:01 AM

836 posts, read 1,031,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Young workers may not have the luxury of picking and choosing what opportunity they pursue. In many cases, there won't be much room for wage/salary negotiation.
This is spot on! When I moved to NYC, it took me about 3 months to finally land an ad agency role. The account, you ask? PHARMA! bleh. FDA approvals taking 6 months to get your ad approved. Not to mention you MUST include the 'Important Safety Information' on each commercial- "taking 'X' may cause diarrhea, yellowing of the skin or eyes, nausea, blah blah."

So. Incredibly. Boring.

So was I able to choose the account I was on? No. But, the experience was invaluable and taught me a lot about integrated advertising (TV, CRM, Print, and Digital). The next account I landed was hospitality/travel and now I get to discuss vacations everyday! Much more exciting

But yes, starting off you may not land the perfect account, or the perfect company, but you take what you can get in this economy (as long as you are passionate about the industry and have the experience), and you learn as much as you can so that when you leave you WILL be in the position to land your 'dream job.' Maybe years back people with a college education were able to pick and choose but lately it seems like the employer definitely has the upper hand.

Especially with cut throat industries like the fashion/journalism industry. Just last year, Conde Nast was sued for not paying their interns at least minimum wage!! Insane- giving the cost of living in NYC. What's even MORE insane is the fact that there are thousands of hopefuls out there that would jump at the chance to work for a top company like Conde Nast and would do it for free. That type of mentality doesn't exactly help the recent grads either if there is someone willing to work for much cheaper (or free).

I wish your son the best in his endeavors!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment