Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 12:11 AM

142 posts, read 317,204 times

Advertisements

It's a national company and because I'm in a busy territory I got many more hours than most so I don't think this is their standard operating procedure. No, I'm not working for the Tea PArty to make up some story about how bad the wonderful Obamacare is!
Also, I was never a "slave". They asked "How many hours do you want?" and I said "all you can give me". They always paid the OT and I was able to get myself completely caught up and put some money in the bank.

Last edited by cadillackid; 05-03-2014 at 12:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 12:24 AM

248 posts, read 310,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
It's a national company and because I'm in a busy territory I got many more hours than most so I don't think this is their standard operating procedure. No, I'm not working for the Tea PArty to make up some story about how bad the wonderful Obamacare is!
What's the company?

Old 05-03-2014, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarti View Post
What's the company?
I PM'd you

Old 05-03-2014, 04:15 AM

This is not the company I work for but here is an example of the policy I am talking about spelled out.

JMU - 1500-hour Limit for Wage Employee - 29-hour FAQs

Old 05-03-2014, 09:57 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
I would sue them for that because frankly it is not ok for a company to expect their workers to be uninsured! That's against human rights. Businesses need to be fined for not providing healthcare to their workers when their workers put in so many hours! Fascists!

Old 05-03-2014, 10:11 AM

757 posts, read 1,094,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
I would sue them for that because frankly it is not ok for a company to expect their workers to be uninsured! That's against human rights. Businesses need to be fined for not providing healthcare to their workers when their workers put in so many hours! Fascists!
Oh Boy Human rights? So you would compare not having health insurance to women being mutilated and children being abused/molested in many parts of the world? We have slavery and a forced sex trade and we're comparing that to not being given health insurance. What an insult to people who are suffering from real human rights abuses.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:31 PM

Yeah, I'm not looking to be the big martyr here, I was just wondering if I could buy my own policy to fix this situation and it seems like the answer is no.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:37 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Also, I was never a "slave". They asked "How many hours do you want?" and I said "all you can give me". They always paid the OT and I was able to get myself completely caught up and put some money in the bank.
So what stopped you from buying health insurance on the open market during the open enrollment period?

Old 05-03-2014, 12:39 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm not looking to be the big martyr here, I was just wondering if I could buy my own policy to fix this situation and it seems like the answer is no.
Of course you can. Or could. Weren't you paying attention between October and March? Now you have to wait until the end of the year unless you change jobs or have another "life event" that affects insurance coverage.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:22 PM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Yes, they'd lay me off and yes, I've started looking elsewhere. As for the scummy factor, I feel anytime you make a law and leave a loophole in it people or companies will inevitably crawl through. I actually blame the lousy draftsmanship of the law.
The size of the law - 2500 pages - told us something was lousy about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment