Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 12:29 PM

241 posts, read 316,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daward View Post
What are career options for history majors, liberal arts degree , and how the transferrable skills are applied to each of the possible career paths , in addition to history teachers and researchers ?
Oh another one I didn't has been mentioned. You could be a military officer. Great career, decent pay, good benefits, advancement opportunities. G
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 01:24 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,229,638 times
The "critical thinking" skills you learn don't help you GET a job at all. However, they will probably help once you've got one to move up more quickly.

Apply for EVERY SINGLE job out there that you see, across the entire USA. DO NOT DISCRIMINATE.

I have a history degree.

At first I put out apps here and there for jobs I "wanted." Nothing. After months of that, I applied for everything I saw that paid $15.00 an hour or more (more than the pt gigs I had at the time - that was my one qualification). Once I switched to that strategy I started to get call-backs, on the order of about 1 out of 10 or 12 apps submitted.

Hopefully the writing skills you picked up enabled you to craft a superior cover letter and answer application questions creatively. I was told that helped me stand out somewhat.

It's a numbers game. Put out at least 2 apps a day, 5 days a week. Continue that until you get an offer you're willing to accept. It's better if you put out 3-5 a day. Don't do more than that because you do need to personalize the materials.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:22 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
I don't think I've read every comment in this thread, but I'll mention these options. Your chances of getting hired would be greatly increased by learning these languages: Turkish, Farsi/Persian, Kurdish, Hebrew, Somali, and Arabic; Spanish, French, Portuguese, and two or more West European languages; East European languages; Russian, Uzbek, Ukrainian, and Central Eurasian dialects; Chinese, Korean, and Japanese; Hindi, Urdu, Dari, and Pashtu..

Quote:
Minimum requirements include a bachelor's or master's degree in a variety of fields, such as political science, international studies, national security, history, geography library science, remote sensing, statistics, or a closely related discipline.
https://www.cia.gov/careers/opportun...n-analyst.html

Quote:
Other strong candidates will have degrees in international relations, political science, foreign area studies, history, or similar subjects.
https://www.cia.gov/careers/opportun...p-analyst.html

This is assuming one specialized military history.
Quote:
Minimum requirements: A bachelor's or master's degree in international relations, political science, security studies or military history, preferably with a strong regional focus or expertise.
https://www.cia.gov/careers/opportun...y-analyst.html

Quote:
Minimum Requirements: Candidates with a bachelor's or master's degree in foreign area studies, international relations, political science, history, or national security studies are encouraged to apply.
https://www.cia.gov/careers/opportun...l-analyst.html

Quote:
Minimum requirements include a bachelor's degree in foreign area study, international relations, political science, history, national security studies, international trade, business, economics, finance, computer science, engineering, WMD technologies, or proliferation.
https://www.cia.gov/careers/opportun...g-analyst.html

Old 05-07-2014, 09:34 PM

2,015 posts, read 1,647,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daward View Post
What are career options for history majors, liberal arts degree , and how the transferrable skills are applied to each of the possible career paths , in addition to history teachers and researchers ?
drive through at mcdonalds
drive through at burger king
drive through at arbys

you get the idea

Old 05-20-2014, 02:30 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
See. Now you're being pretentious.

If you take a job at a non-profit or the peace corps, how are you going to make a living?
Ford Foundation program officers make an average of $145,035. It's hard to get those jobs, but it's something to aspire to.

Posters should generally stick to what they know. Nonprofit organizations pay their workers (how else would they get them to come to work?) and top nonprofit executives - I was one for 15 years - make about the same as their counterparts in corporate jobs.

Old 05-20-2014, 05:57 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Ford Foundation program officers make an average of $145,035. It's hard to get those jobs, but it's something to aspire to.

Posters should generally stick to what they know. Nonprofit organizations pay their workers (how else would they get them to come to work?) and top nonprofit executives - I was one for 15 years - make about the same as their counterparts in corporate jobs.
That question baffled me too! I started out in the private sector and moved into the non profit sector after 8 years and never had to compromise on salary. My non profit employers tended to provide amazing benefits too, like a 10 to 1 match on my 401(k), plus steady salary growth. I doubled my salary in 6 years at one association.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:24 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post

I would disagree with the latter. They can can be paid well, but if you compare size of budgets and organizations they manage, they earn considerably less than corporate counterparts (who often have bonuses). Sure, there are plenty of 100k, 200k, and even a bunch of 500k C level non profit execs, but many of their for profit counterparts earn millions a year.

It really depends on the field. Academia is super variable, but can compensate well, my best compensated job was at a top tier University. Environmental conservation? Different animal.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:31 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
Walmart dept manager.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:53 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I would disagree with the latter. They can can be paid well, but if you compare size of budgets and organizations they manage, they earn considerably less than corporate counterparts (who often have bonuses). Sure, there are plenty of 100k, 200k, and even a bunch of 500k C level non profit execs, but many of their for profit counterparts earn millions a year..
That's correct. The multimillion-dollar corporate jobs (where pay includes stock options, etc.) don't really have a counterpart in the nonprofit sector. But I really meant the kind of job that someone asking about jobs on this board is likely to qualify for, which I am thinking is upper middle management at most. In that range, university administration, foundation, and corporate jobs are pretty closely comparable in pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment