Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 06:09 PM

149 posts, read 179,040 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Kansas City, MO. Pretty cheap place to live you could say. I only have my Associates in computer information systems/computer science. I currently have a decent job making 37k a year. Plus some other good perks aka benefits, 3 weeks paid vacation, every holiday off paid. In my current situation do you feel it would really be worth going back to school for my bachelors? Not to mention i have no idea what i would go back for. There are too many horror stories about people graduating school and making lattes these days. What would be the major pros of going back?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 06:15 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,840 times
Yes!!!! Go back to school. You won't regret it. Just decide what you want to major in first. Make sure it is a marketable field.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:33 PM

149 posts, read 179,040 times
Yeah not sure what to go back for. All the marketable fields are business administration, computer science, engineering. No desire to go back for any of those. I've thought about the MIS degree but not sure how marketable that would be. I might be taking a SQL class at my local community college to see if i find this interesting at all

Old 05-06-2014, 07:50 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
No degree is a guarantee of anything. Don't depend on a degree to get you a job. A degree is only a part of an overall career plan.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:52 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
How old are you?

Old 05-06-2014, 09:03 PM

59 posts, read 103,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssteele89 View Post
I currently live in Kansas City, MO. Pretty cheap place to live you could say. I only have my Associates in computer information systems/computer science. I currently have a decent job making 37k a year. Plus some other good perks aka benefits, 3 weeks paid vacation, every holiday off paid. In my current situation do you feel it would really be worth going back to school for my bachelors? Not to mention i have no idea what i would go back for. There are too many horror stories about people graduating school and making lattes these days. What would be the major pros of going back?

Thank you
You do realize there are tons of college grads who don't have it that good?

I'd say keep your job, take classes at night toward a degree. Just take one or two at a time. Sure, it will take longer that way, but at least you'll have an income while you study.

But before that, you should define what degree you want, and why you want it, and what you would do with it. Simply "to get a better paying job" no longer works as a reason. As you said, there are lots of people with degrees making lattes.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:16 PM

300 posts, read 1,136,789 times
What is your age? You might have to quit your job if you do decide to go back to school. It's tough going to school and working full time even part-time. I'm planning on going back to school for computer science. A lot of people are doing it so if you feel really compelled to do it THAN DO IT.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:14 AM

182 posts, read 477,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jssteele89 View Post

Thank you
I would definitely suggest KEEPING your current job if you decide to go back to school. How did you plan to pay for your degree if you go back? If you have to take out student loans to go back to school, it's not worth it. Does your company offer tuition reimbursement? That would be a great way to puruse another degree while keeping your job and not adding any additional debt. Another thing to think about would be going back to get a certification instead of a degree (A+, MCSA, MCSE, VCP, CISSP are some popular IT certifications).

Also, keep in mind that you are in a great position right now. You have a full time job with great benefits. lol, do you know how long I had to work to get three weeks of vacation? A long time...

Old 05-07-2014, 08:23 AM

29,823 posts, read 24,902,718 times
Run the numbers regarding your age, how long you anticipate working for, and the ROI of a degree. Also figure... ROI varies widely, and there is never a guarantee.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:27 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times
What would be the major pros of going back? A good education, something you'll be able to use at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment