Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 03:22 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I don't think anyone is doubting that the kiosks are likely more efficient economically. Still, there comes a point where jobs need to be maintained simply to keep people busy, even if it is less efficient.
No there is never a point like that. We need to become a more business friendly nation, where businesses en masse, can grow and prosper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 03:30 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,992,974 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone is doubting that the kiosks are likely more efficient economically. Still, there comes a point where jobs need to be maintained simply to keep people busy, even if it is less efficient.
I agree, but tell that to the multi billion dollar CEO who's job it is to generate more profit each year.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
I agree, but tell that to the multi billion dollar CEO who's job it is to generate more profit each year.
He should be fired if he avoids automation which , when used, adds to shareholder value.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:53 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
He should be fired if he avoids automation which , when used, adds to shareholder value.

Funny, but good management and leadership isn't going to be replaced in the workplace. It gets more valuable every year.

Old 05-12-2014, 03:57 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,647,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
If I have to order from a kiosk rather than a human, I'll take my business elsewhere. I refuse to use self checkout systems as well. It's the principle of it. I refuse to go to a grocery store, get my own cart, find my own groceries, check them out myself, bag them myself, take them out to my car myself, and put my cart up so I can save a business money on labor costs and make them a profit on top of that. I like Panera, but if I can't order from a human being, our longstanding happy relationship will be a thing of the past.

I could have said the same thing, nearly word for word. I'm with you 100 percent.

Old 05-12-2014, 04:45 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Thus us my fear with these ideas of moving to kiosks and robots replacing jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
No there is never a point like that. We need to become a more business friendly nation, where businesses en masse, can grow and prosper.
It is all about how far the rabbit hole goes. If these jobs do effect the bottom line because they don't get revenue off of them it well.
When you say more business friendly what do you mean? What laws do you want to see removed. Like I've said before too you, show work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
They may not if they actually cut the jobs and those people are effectively cut out if the economy. What we'll happen, the rich well go more often to a Wal-Mart or McDonald's?

Old 05-12-2014, 05:03 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

It is all about how far the rabbit hole goes. If these jobs do effect the bottom line because they don't get revenue off of them it well.
When you say more business friendly what do you mean? What laws do you want to see removed. Like I've said before too you, show work.
Business growing and prospering doesn't mean jobs are created or the working class prospers. I'm tired of people assuming that they are the same thing. What's good for business is not necessarily what's good for the nation's citizens - after all, for business, it would be great if nobody had a job since that cuts down on expenses... but obviously that doesn't work for the nation as a whole.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Funny, but good management and leadership isn't going to be replaced in the workplace. It gets more valuable every year.
Feather-bedding is not good management. Maximizing efficiency is.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:56 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Business growing and prospering doesn't mean jobs are created or the working class prospers. I'm tired of people assuming that they are the same thing. What's good for business is not necessarily what's good for the nation's citizens - after all, for business, it would be great if nobody had a job since that cuts down on expenses... but obviously that doesn't work for the nation as a whole.
Then who does the work fir the business, machines? Who will pay for the product and service if commands have no employees? That is a game theory decision board I don't want to play on. The fact is businesses need people to work for them to keep customers because people working for other businesses. If no businesses has jobs, no one can buy anything.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:03 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,546,362 times
Isn't the fed pumping up the stock market anyways? Why would someone buy stock in a company that keeps cutting out and shrinking it's work force.
Costco Stock is at $116 a share and they are not cutting cost!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment