Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 09:17 AM

89 posts, read 207,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
And I know philosophy phd's that drive taxi to eat.

I'll give you $20 if you can prove that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 05:46 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,266,083 times
I think the terms "liberal arts degree" and "STEM degree" have taken de facto definitions a bit different than their exact (dictionary) definition.

As for hiring, specific majors are generally listed. A pharmaceutical company may list a biology degree as a requirement and there really is no concern if it is a liberal arts or STEM degree.

But, in conversation, I think most people know what is being implied when they say "liberal arts degree" or "STEM degree"

Old 05-10-2014, 06:24 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
I think the terms "liberal arts degree" and "STEM degree" have taken de facto definitions a bit different than their exact (dictionary) definition.

As for hiring, specific majors are generally listed. A pharmaceutical company may list a biology degree as a requirement and there really is no concern if it is a liberal arts or STEM degree.

But, in conversation, I think most people know what is being implied when they say "liberal arts degree" or "STEM degree"
Most people don't have a college degree, so most people probably don't know much about college majors in general. I've lost count of how many studies have shown that most Americans can't find X country on a map even though that country is currently in the news.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:28 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Most people don't have a college degree, so most people probably don't know much about college majors in general. I've lost count of how many studies have shown that most Americans can't find X country on a map even though that country is currently in the news.
I doubt he's referring to people who don't have degrees in the first place. I suspect the STEM vs LA degree debate (non-stem LA) is primarily between degree holders.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:12 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I doubt he's referring to people who don't have degrees in the first place. I suspect the STEM vs LA degree debate (non-stem LA) is primarily between degree holders.
If you go by the "educated" people on this forum, they don't even understand accreditation. They repeatedly assume that some schools are unaccredited or not regionally accredited when it only takes a few seconds to conduct a search. I have no faith in the college advice that comes out of this forum. I participate in education-focused forums (not the one offered by City-Data) where accreditation and the categorization of the liberal arts are easily understood.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:37 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
The term "Liberal Arts" no longer refers to the trivium and quadrivium. Now it's a much less well-defined term but generally includes the humanities and social sciences. Or any field other than the visual and performing arts in which a paper hat will be required upon graduation.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:07 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
The term "Liberal Arts" no longer refers to the trivium and quadrivium. Now it's a much less well-defined term but generally includes the humanities and social sciences. Or any field other than the visual and performing arts in which a paper hat will be required upon graduation.
I still say it has become an odd political term for "fields with high unemployment or underemployment right now". That's why people who use the term pejoratively like to exclude liberal arts fields that have good employment prospects.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
If you go by the "educated" people on this forum, they don't even understand accreditation. They repeatedly assume that some schools are unaccredited or not regionally accredited when it only takes a few seconds to conduct a search. I have no faith in the college advice that comes out of this forum. I participate in education-focused forums (not the one offered by City-Data) where accreditation and the categorization of the liberal arts are easily understood.
I suspect most people don't care enough to google it, especially where there are google monkeys (I'm one myself at times) who will spend the time. But, there's also quite a bit of material inserted into these conversations intended to obfuscate a position that is relatively simple. I'm sure the reasoning there is stratified and quite personal from one poster to the next.

I personally don't put much weight into college advice that comes out of these forums. What's important or not is if a person actually wants a career in science, or technology, or engineering, or medicine. If a potential student wants to understand what it is to be a successful scientist, engineer, computer scientist, et al it's best to go to the source and learn first hand vs conversing with people outside these fields or those who are unsuccessful in general imo.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
I still say it has become an odd political term for "fields with high unemployment or underemployment right now". That's why people who use the term pejoratively like to exclude liberal arts fields that have good employment prospects.
The BLS already parses fields to such a degree, and some incorrectly imo, that it's strange we have these "general" distinctions.

Old 05-11-2014, 03:47 PM

266 posts, read 285,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
And I know philosophy phd's that drive taxi to eat.
Douglas Prasher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In an October 9, 2008 phone interview with National Public Radio (NPR) and October 14, 2008 TV interview with Inside Edition, Prasher reported that he was unable to find a job in science, his life savings had run out and that he was working as a courtesy shuttle bus driver for a Toyota dealership in Huntsville, Alabama at $8.50 an hour."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment