Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 03:44 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,431,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
to be honest I see no reason why people hunt. why kill animals? we do have meat in the supermarkets
As someone else said it's a metaphor, but meat in the store came from killing an animal. You just pay someone else to do your killing for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 03:45 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,819,762 times
Is it that the memo isn't out there, or is it that people don't broadcast it? Entrepreneurship is not championed at all, it is pretty discouraged to be honest.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:53 PM

18,337 posts, read 26,431,133 times
I think some people are waking up to what a meaningless existence it is when you spend most of your time working for someone else for scraps of paper so you can go buy useless junk you don't need. "Whoever gives his labor for money sells himself and puts himself in the rank of slaves," to quote Cicero. It might be helped by the fact that outsourcing, globalization and cutting of pay and benefits has gone too far. I see a lot of hatred for big business, and there's valid reasons for it. Employers want all kinds of qualifications, a great deal of work performed, possibly increasing as other positions get cut to benefit stockholders and executives, but these employers don't want to reward their employees with a decent compensation. I see a lot of jobs around me where they want years of experience, college degrees, and will only pay 10 to 14 or 15 dollars an hour, few or no benefits, no job security, in a very high COL state. Wage slavery has no appeal to anyone with any intellectual capacity. The problem with going into business is the potential pool of customers is too poor from working at walmart or similar type jobs to provide you with a reasonable income, and regulations and such are often structured to favor big business and keep the small guy out often by driving up costs. Just look at what it costs to patent an invention even, how many independent, creative inventors have gone nowhere because they can't afford to protect their rights to their invention?

Old 05-15-2014, 04:23 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,385,619 times
When you get rejection after rejection for jobs that you are qualified for; the resume reviews, the job fairs, the networking, you wonder why bother?
It's demoralizing, depressing, and you feel worthless after a while.
It's no wonder people have lost the will to hunt, it's almost pointless.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:29 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,897,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midtown mile girl View Post
When you get rejection after rejection for jobs that you are qualified for; the resume reviews, the job fairs, the networking, you wonder why bother?

You have to maintain the mindset of......"companies can only hire 1 person so it's no need to take rejection personal"

Once I started telling myself that I was able to accept rejection a lot easier

Old 05-15-2014, 06:20 PM

1,228 posts, read 2,385,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
You have to maintain the mindset of......"companies can only hire 1 person so it's no need to take rejection personal"

Once I started telling myself that I was able to accept rejection a lot easier
That's what I try to do. I tell myself that I'm only getting rejected because something better is on the way.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:29 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,755,909 times
Yes.
I was unemployed for a while. It started to affect my mental health. Stayed up late at nights, ate junkfood, cried myself to sleep...It's depressing. Then you have family members asking if you got a job yet. Then you start to feel like you're hopeless while bills are piling up.

There are people out there who are going through the same thing.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:31 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,897,019 times
Quote:
That's what I try to do. I tell myself that I'm only getting rejected because something better is on the way.
There you go

Old 05-15-2014, 07:16 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,204,676 times
Default I'm from the government and I am here ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
^^THIS!!

Remember that the US government consider full employment to be 4% unemployment. The latest unemployment level was 6.3%. That means the goal is only about a 2% improvement.

People will have to stop using the economy as an excuse and deal with the fact that they don't know how to find a job or don't have a long term career plan.

Not even generally, but mostly, what comes out of the government is disinformation to counter some chronic problem that the current administration is trying to paper over.

Do you believe the unemployment level is only 6.3%?

Or that this country is out of the Great Recession?

Or that we fought two wars on our dime and shed blood to protect the homeland so that terrorists "won't follow us home," to find WMDs, to oust a bad leader, to bring democracy and freedom to the peoples of the world, or a part time work week is a good thing because it gives people who have fallen into the working poor plenty of time to do just what?

Old 05-15-2014, 07:31 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,600,552 times
Quote:
Yes this is the constant battle I wage against myself. There are many times when I am sitting there, tailoring each resume and cover letter for X job, I ask myself "why am I doing this, I have gotten so many rejections in the past what difference will this make?"

However I am quickly snapped back to reality when I realize that sitting at home and doing nothing will not get you the job. I am not saying its easy or that applying and applying again and again is particularly fun but I am still going, you have to keep going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment