Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 04:09 PM

881 posts, read 1,814,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
The only way Linked In can get into your mail to find all your contacts to send messages to is if you give them your password. Why would you do that?
Not necessarily, there was reports of a "bug" with their mobile app (which request permission for access for the contact list on your phone on installation) emailing every on your contact list. Rather it was a bug or what they actually intended, only linkedin knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 05:58 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skris4 View Post
I've had a LinkedIn account for atleast 4 years and I cannot comment much on the free account.

When I was job hunting(while employed0 , I applied through various means to almost 40-50 positions over a period of 4 months. Not a single interview. Then one day, I upgraded to the premium account ($50 a month). In the next one week I had 3 interviews lined up. Now I am working for one of the company.

In short, the premium account still has high value for job seekers.

Do you mean $50 every month? That sounds fraudulent to me and is something no unemployed person should do

Old 05-17-2014, 06:11 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,074,137 times
LinkedIn has a section where you can CHANGE the settings. (LOL). Also, imo, people need to create a personal and professional email address and keep them separate.

Personal (friends, facebook, instagram, etc) Coolsurfdude at blaladotcom

Professional (resume, linkedIn, bills, etc) John.Doe at blabladptcom

Old 05-18-2014, 07:01 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skris4
I've had a LinkedIn account for atleast 4 years and I cannot comment much on the free account.

When I was job hunting(while employed0 , I applied through various means to almost 40-50 positions over a period of 4 months. Not a single interview. Then one day, I upgraded to the premium account ($50 a month). In the next one week I had 3 interviews lined up. Now I am working for one of the company.

In short, the premium account still has high value for job seekers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
Do you mean $50 every month? That sounds fraudulent to me and is something no unemployed person should do
Unemployed people who have financial options may be able to afford a LinkedIn premium account (subscription). I have paid for a LI subscription a few times myself, but from my perspective, I believe recruiters and HR people have a clear advantage when doing so.

For actual job seeking, I personally didn't see much of a purpose in paying for a Premium account, but it has worked for skris4 above. As with other social media websites, LI changes its services and features on a regular basis, so maybe have a subscription when you can afford one would help when job seeking.

My field relies heavily on Linkedin, while other sectors do not. I still think most of these Linkedin threads, the good or the bad depend more on a person's individual situation and where he/she in his/her career (or not yet, so to speak). I think that the crux of Linkedin as a tool for job searching. I have had several interviews from Linkedin, and my current job was indirectly due to Linkedin connections.

Back to some of the original topic at hand, giving out your information for free online is not new. When we use "free" email services, the same thing happens. The providers take your information and send you targeted ads based on the content of your emails. We agree to terms of services in order to use the various online services for our own benefit. Just be cautious and reasonable in what you wish to share online.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:22 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
I have a question for all you Linkedin experts since i dont have an account. Can everyone see your entire profile eventhough you haven't allowed them to connect or be part of your network? I noticed sometimes i can see someone's entire resume despite not having joined Linkedin unless it was really only partial(not sure)...also, i can see how many connections that person has made. Are there privacy controls that restrict this?

I am trying to see if there are good job opportunities out there, thus considering opening a Linkedin account. I don't want to fill in my full profile though. Just part of my name and full email only along with job title to see if that will attract recruiters. Is that possible too? In other words, i will send my full resume in a separate email to the recruiter, HR manager instead of through Linkedin. I just don't want to attract people that i might have worked for or with long time ago. Also, don't want my full info being sent to advertisers like some have mentioned.

Last edited by JL; 06-19-2014 at 11:06 PM..

Old 06-21-2014, 07:27 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
I have a question for all you Linkedin experts since i dont have an account. Can everyone see your entire profile eventhough you haven't allowed them to connect or be part of your network? I noticed sometimes i can see someone's entire resume despite not having joined Linkedin unless it was really only partial(not sure)...also, i can see how many connections that person has made. Are there privacy controls that restrict this?

I am trying to see if there are good job opportunities out there, thus considering opening a Linkedin account. I don't want to fill in my full profile though. Just part of my name and full email only along with job title to see if that will attract recruiters. Is that possible too? In other words, i will send my full resume in a separate email to the recruiter, HR manager instead of through Linkedin. I just don't want to attract people that i might have worked for or with long time ago. Also, don't want my full info being sent to advertisers like some have mentioned.
You can set your Linkedin profile to private to where it is not searchable online. If you are already looking at profiles online while not being logged into Linkedin, you can see various degrees of information shared and people can change these options in the profile settings.

You can create a Linkedin profile and not share your full name. You also can post as little information into your profile as possible, so that you have a less chance of being found by former co-workers. You will need to connect to a few people at least to get noticed by recruiters, but you probably are going to be selective if you do that.

On the other hand, you also do not have to connect to anyone in Linkedin. I have known some acquaintances in the past who have just set up a profile, so that someone else does not use the same name and keep the profile at 0 connections.

Old 06-21-2014, 07:45 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,618,079 times
Deleted mine. I'm trying to relocate to another state and it was NOT HELPFUL at all. I told LinkedIn I wanted to see ads from where I was moving to, not where I currently live. Nope. I had a bunch of companies look at my profile, but no calls.

Old 06-21-2014, 09:49 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times
It definitely has a use. I don't really have an account to look for jobs. I use it to keep in touch with work colleagues and vendors etc, who I have a good relationship with, but not appropriate to add on Facebook. I like to know when people I have worked with get new jobs or whatever. I had a vendor refer me for a job after I connected to him through linkedin. I would not have added him on Facebook. Same with my previous supervisor. My work world and social life are separate.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:41 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
You can set your Linkedin profile to private to where it is not searchable online. If you are already looking at profiles online while not being logged into Linkedin, you can see various degrees of information shared and people can change these options in the profile settings.

You can create a Linkedin profile and not share your full name. You also can post as little information into your profile as possible, so that you have a less chance of being found by former co-workers. You will need to connect to a few people at least to get noticed by recruiters, but you probably are going to be selective if you do that.

On the other hand, you also do not have to connect to anyone in Linkedin. I have known some acquaintances in the past who have just set up a profile, so that someone else does not use the same name and keep the profile at 0 connections.

Yeah, i did that earlier....little info as possible, but enough in order to connect with some possible hiring managers. I am liking some of the articles and forum discussions in Linkedin ...some rather interesting topics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment