Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Yes 16 18.18%
No 72 81.82%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 04:49 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,965,116 times

Advertisements

I'd probably work hard while compiling documents and evidence to fry whatever supervisor it was that was doling out the dehumanizing behavior.

Or I'd just punch him out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2014, 04:50 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,002,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
T

Would you still be willing to give your employer your 100%? The ethical answer is "Yes", but would you be willing to work just as hard in practice? Or you would give your employer "what he/she paid for"? In practice, I don't think I could do it.

Just wondering..
Why do you think the ethical answer is yes? When you assert this you are essentially saying that there is no relationship between treatment, pay and effort? If that is the case, why not pay all engineers, architects, doctors and rocket scientists $1 a day? After all, if the ethical thing for them to do is work all out, then there is no reason to pay them more. By your philosophy, that wage would be ethical, as it was accepted by the employee.

I think it is ethical to hold back if you are not paid appropriately or treated well.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:50 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,330,651 times
Being in health care, and previously being underpaid, I would say that I do everything that needs to be done to do right by the patients but other than that? I will not do anything extra, I will not try to fix mistakes (unless they're potentially harmful), etc. So yes, I will be a good worker, I will do my job and I will do it well but don't be surprised if I'm gone sooner than later...

Old 05-14-2014, 05:00 PM

162 posts, read 228,398 times
Been there, done that, did not get me anywhere, never doing it again. In fact, my supervisor took advantage of me even more and I had to leave.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:14 PM

7,022 posts, read 14,442,452 times
Just to clarify, by "giving it your all" or "giving it your 100%", I don't mean doing just the minimum that's required of you in the job description nor does it mean going all out and putting way more effort than what's expected. It's just putting in the maximum amount of effort each day that's sustainable in the long run.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:30 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,846,232 times
As an employer, I've understood one simple concept that has made my staffing and training decisions very easy for a number of years:

You get the effort you pay for, and the behavior that you reinforce.

Anyone that would give everything for nothing in return is a moron. That's not an ethics question, that's a question of intelligence.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:54 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,819,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Just to clarify, by "giving it your all" or "giving it your 100%", I don't mean doing just the minimum that's required of you in the job description nor does it mean going all out and putting way more effort than what's expected. It's just putting in the maximum amount of effort each day that's sustainable in the long run.
I get that. I put no because nine times out of ten you cannot really say I am being underpaid, pay me more, especially in an employer market. Of course they would look to pay as close to the wage floor known as minimum wage. They (feel they) can replace you in a second with someone equally as skilled. This is dilemma of an employer's market.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:02 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,471,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I would give any job I had my utmost, but it would be because of my own work ethic and integrity, and the fact that no matter what the job is, what I do in that job is a reflection of my own character and person. That makes it mandatory for me to do the best I can, especially as I accepted that job and agreed to the conditions of the job.
I absolutely agree. But the traits you speak of (work ethic and integrity) are in short supply these days. People don't give a damn anymore, and part of that is because they are treated like crap and paid low wages.

That said, work has always been about proving to myself what I can do, not proving to my boss. And I want to do my best regardless, and always have.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:04 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,023,829 times
I guess I have a cruel streak. On the occasion I worked in a situation where I felt underpaid and disrespected I put in full effort. While looking for my next job. the pleasure it gave me when I turned in my resignation and the owner jumped through hoops trying to get me to stay. L loved saying no to his raise offer.

Perhaps he learned and his future employees got better treatment.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:24 PM

7,022 posts, read 14,442,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I guess I have a cruel streak. On the occasion I worked in a situation where I felt underpaid and disrespected I put in full effort. While looking for my next job. the pleasure it gave me when I turned in my resignation and the owner jumped through hoops trying to get me to stay. L loved saying no to his raise offer.

Perhaps he learned and his future employees got better treatment.
I did too until the toll on my physical and mental health after about a year made it impossible to continue at 100% effort.. funny thing is, a few months of getting sick and (unwillingly) working at less than 100% didn't get me fired but radically changed my manager's attitude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment