Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 05:50 PM

621 posts, read 1,422,051 times

Advertisements

Ever watch Shark Tank? Ever try to start your own business?

Dog walking below you? Well... Sept. 1, 2011 I started a pet boarding business out of a barn. After 4 yrs, that little business was turning over $75,000 a yr. Not bad for a little dog walking business. Part time too. Now I didn't really want it to grow larger because I wanted it to remain part time. But I did it, took the chance and did it.

You all sound like pretty intelligent people. Use your brains, take some chances, figure out what needs doing....

If you wait for someone else to hand it to you. If you wait for the perfect opportunity to come your way, you are going to have a long wait.

My granddaughter will be in your shoes in a couple of years and I am telling her the same thing. College is good .. but don't depend on it to get you a job! No one owes you nothing.... get used to it, they never did!

Old 05-18-2014, 05:58 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dualie View Post
Ever watch Shark Tank? Ever try to start your own business?

Dog walking below you? Well... Sept. 1, 2011 I started a pet boarding business out of a barn. After 4 yrs, that little business was turning over $75,000 a yr. Not bad for a little dog walking business. Part time too. Now I didn't really want it to grow larger because I wanted it to remain part time. But I did it, took the chance and did it.

You all sound like pretty intelligent people. Use your brains, take some chances, figure out what needs doing....

If you wait for someone else to hand it to you. If you wait for the perfect opportunity to come your way, you are going to have a long wait.

My granddaughter will be in your shoes in a couple of years and I am telling her the same thing. College is good .. but don't depend on it to get you a job! No one owes you nothing.... get used to it, they never did!
Hey, boot-strapper. The young people say it only works for you, because it was a different time. Oh, your business was started in 2011 in a recession. They will just ignore that. It's back to hitting submit on monster.com for the 200th time, while watching tv and surfing the net.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:21 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Did I get the wrong article in reference to this post? If you have the correct link, please post. Regards.
It was the right link. You are simply trying to pull a red herring with that comment.

The post was about the job but in a different job market that favored employees over employers so employees had more options and could pick jobs with less manual labor like Bob Wade's son. That is what Rambler and I were getting at. The article quoted a Cyndi Smallwood who said they could only get talent by "stealing" them from another firm. The article also quoted Orange County having one of the lowest jobless rates in 2006. This is why Bob Wade had to hire his son back two times AFTER firing him before he went to the restaurant industry after the third firing.

Now three years later, there were more workers than jobs so Wade would still offer the $8.00 an hour but Cyndi dropped her starting wage to the minimum wage (pretty sure California's minimum wage is more than $7.50 an hour) and likely make $34 an hour job to $17 an hour tops because of the supply of workers. This is why I said it was a post fail.

Culturally younger people aren't introduced to yard work as much as they use to be, I'll give you that but the economy also gave options which led to jobs being left open because nobody would apply because there were favorable jobs. Now it is lower than people would want to work for the job because they pay dirt to landscapers. It's not being lazy, just not willing to be paid dirt for backbreaking labor that they were never exposed to before.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:28 PM

1,024 posts, read 1,041,216 times
"Nobody owes you anything," but gimme my social security, medicare, medicaid, 401k, rule of law, infrastructure, social contract, etc. Other than that, nobody owes you anything!

Old 05-18-2014, 06:37 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
Hey, boot-strapper. The young people say it only works for you, because it was a different time. Oh, your business was started in 2011 in a recession. They will just ignore that. It's back to hitting submit on monster.com for the 200th time, while watching tv and surfing the net.
Yes, because random, unverifiable internet stories clearly should take precedence over published, statistically verified data and facts regarding this recession and the lack of jobs.

And let's not forget the clear logical fallacy of "if one can can do it, anyone can." Based on that sad excuse for logic, lottery tickets are a great buy - because somebody wins - and anybody can be a rock star or quarterback in the NFL.

It's nice that things worked out for this guy - assuming the story is true, of course - but that in no way means that such business ventures will work out for most people who try them. We need jobs, not anecdotes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment