Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 06:40 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
The trust says almost a third of long-term unemployed young people have contemplated taking their own lives.

Urgent action must be taken to prevent the young jobless becoming the young hopeless, it says.

The government commented that it was doing "everything possible" to help young people find work.

Last month, figures from the Office for National Statistics showed the UK unemployment rate had fallen to its lowest level since 2009, with the number of people out of work falling by 99,000 to 2.39 million in the three months to October.

BBC News - Young people 'feel they have nothing to live for'
As a 25 year old worker who is underemployed in a call center job, I can relate to feeling hopeless. My job pays the bills, but it gives me no fulfillment and it is a soul sucking existence. I have a Bachelor's degree in Business Management, I'm studying for a Masters degree which will be one of the first in my family from a top program in my field. I still wonder is this as good as it is going to get? I make decent money but I think at times is this all I'm going to mean to the world? If so, why even bother to be here at all? I'm by no means a "pansy."

I was completely unemployed in Kentucky for 8 months, a few years ago. That felt even worse, I went everywhere for a job. I'd picked up a g@&damn hammer to make a buck if it meant I could work. I tried every avenue for a dollar but could not get anything. I considered ending it all. Thankfully I was able to work a couple of temp jobs before landing a FT gig.

People who says there is always opportunity probably ain't looked for an entry level job since Elvis was alive. Automation is happening, companies are doing more with less, and there are thousands fighting for every job.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:09 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
After going to college only to find call center work, being stuck in that line of work for four years, and being unable to afford my own place on $11.68/hr, suicide does cross your mind. When every single day you work you know you're going to have an endless phone calls and be chewed out by customers, there's no reason to get up. It's not just that your job is boring or not meaningful - it's awful.

There is also a scarring process that occurs that the longer one is out of professional work, the harder it is to get professional work, so they go from junk job to junk job.

I think there is a lot of suicide among the long-term unemployed and people stuck in junk jobs. Suicide is viewed as shameful, but when faced with long-term unemployment, it is an understandable and logical choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
As a 25 year old worker who is underemployed in a call center job, I can relate to feeling hopeless. My job pays the bills, but it gives me no fulfillment and it is a soul sucking existence. I have a Bachelor's degree in Business Management, I'm studying for a Masters degree which will be one of the first in my family from a top program in my field. I still wonder is this as good as it is going to get? I make decent money but I think at times is this all I'm going to mean to the world? If so, why even bother to be here at all? I'm by no means a "pansy."

I was completely unemployed in Kentucky for 8 months, a few years ago. That felt even worse, I went everywhere for a job. I'd picked up a g@&damn hammer to make a buck if it meant I could work. I tried every avenue for a dollar but could not get anything. I considered ending it all. Thankfully I was able to work a couple of temp jobs before landing a FT gig.

People who says there is always opportunity probably ain't looked for an entry level job since Elvis was alive. Automation is happening, companies are doing more with less, and there are thousands fighting for every job.
I feel for you guys....

Old 05-17-2014, 07:10 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
I would contend that the people contemplating suicide are not "lazy, stupid, and lacking skills"

They are people generally willing to work hard and are the end of their ropes.
My father searched for a couple of years and then moved to a different country to work.
Are people insisting they work in their own countries?
It's a global economy, no? Then go where the jobs are.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My father searched for a couple of years and then moved to a different country to work.
Are people insisting they work in their own countries?
It's a global economy, no? Then go where the jobs are.
Where is there a country that has a standard of living that is even close to the US and would actually accept the average American to immigrate that actually has jobs?

Old 05-17-2014, 07:41 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,033,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsavoury Tentacles View Post
So sick of these y gen turds, I sincerely worry about the future of the Western World. Nothing more than sniveling, entitled little pansies. These wimps complain they have "nothing to live for"?

How many marched down to a construction site? Peddled wares in the street? Applied for realistic jobs they consider "beneath" them? A big fat zero.

Disgusting. Simply disgusting. They somehow found enough time to whine like the babies they are on the beeb.

There isn't a lack of opportunity, but a lack of balls.
Ah, another hate-mongering boot-strapper who appears out of nowhere just to spew venom and ignorance on this thread. I wonder which of our previously banned extremists you are, not that I really care...

But to disprove your fallacies, let me direct you to some facts:

The Inconvenient Facts: There a minimum of 2.6 people out of work per job opening in this nation, and that's if you're gullible enough to believe the U3 unemployment number, which conveniently leaves out people such as: the underemployed, the long-term unemployed, etc.

http://www.bls.gov/web/jolts/jlt_labstatgraphs.pdf

Once you factor in all the "vanished" people who need jobs who don't show up the U3 numbers but most of which do show up in the U6 numbers, the actual ratio is about 5.1 people in need of a job per job opening in this nation.

So, care to explain how one is going to fix that problem and find jobs for all those people when there simply are nowhere near enough jobs? No amount of boot-strapping, working beneath you, or some other nonsense is going to solve this issue, and it is grossly insulting - and ignorant - to simply blame the problems on the people who are out of work. You have zero evidence for your laughable, stereotypical characterizations of the unemployed, and the facts cast a dim light on your hatred, ignorance, and lack of empathy.

The problem is a lack of jobs, not a lack of "hard work, skills, gumption, boot-strapping" or whatever other ignorant nonsense is being spewed by people who just deep down despise anyone beneath them socio-economically and who are too busy listening to hate radio to actually educate themselves on this nation's actual economic problems.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Where is there a country that has a standard of living that is even close to the US and would actually accept the average American to immigrate that actually has jobs?
No such thing - see, most developed nations (unlike America) actually try to protect their own workers by minimizing skilled immigrants. America's borders are far more open than most nations in regard to workers of all skill levels. In short, one can't just fill out a few forms and move to Germany or wherever and get a nice job.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:11 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
No such thing - see, most developed nations (unlike America) actually try to protect their own workers by minimizing skilled immigrants. America's borders are far more open than most nations in regard to workers of all skill levels. In short, one can't just fill out a few forms and move to Germany or wherever and get a nice job.
This is what I have heard.

Many countries make it harder for people to migrate in. I think the only people that have an easy time to get in is if you're a clergyman/woman, for example.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
See, life is never as easy as some on C-D bootstrappers make it out to be.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:50 AM

24 posts, read 48,153 times
Kids cant think outside the box. There are plenty of jobs out there that pay well. Mortician, Plumber, Millwright, Sonographer, Dental Hygienist... Theyd rather go to college and get a useless degree.

I for one was raised to work and get dirty.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollargrab View Post
Kids cant think outside the box. There are plenty of jobs out there that pay well. Mortician, Plumber, Millwright, Sonographer, Dental Hygienist... Theyd rather go to college and get a useless degree.

I for one was raised to work and get dirty.
Again, 2.6 to 5.1 people out of work per job opening... I'm not opposed to being creative in your career and I agree that there are plenty of useless degrees, but we still need to address the core facts - not enough jobs, and no amount of boot-strapping will fix that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment