Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 10:01 PM

628 posts, read 1,388,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
If you want to become a park ranger (one who is a licensed police officer) or game warden, you might have to pass a psychological test. If you were discharged from the military for having a personality disorder, you aren't going to make it in law enforcement. I don't think there is much of a career in cryptozoology. This reminds me of the couple of CJ students who wanted to become paranormal investigators. My head almost exploded. However, University of Virginia does research paranormal psychology. Maybe you could get a PhD in neuropsychology and do that. There are even a couple of psychiatrists on University of Virginia's team, so an M.D. or D.O is another option. Or, maybe you could study mythologies that include shapeshifting. But, I do hope you are regularly seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist.
"General Personality Disorder" is a catch-all-term for many, many miscellaneous situations and "diagnosises".~

It is NOT an "actual" "Disorder" in the same sense as schizophrenia, bi-polar disorder, turrets syndrome, etc.~

Many people get this so-called "Diagnosis" and easily contest this then go back into the military, but while being processed out of the Navy I realized it was really some thing I really dreaded doing and loathed doing so I took the opportunity to "get-out" while I could.~

I'm welcome to come back in any time with a waiver if I choose to, but I don't have any current nor future plans to do so.~

Basically I wasn't "getting along with people" and because of my high-school history of some thing similar happening my therapist saw a "pattern".~

Part of it was actually me not handling bad situations properly, but most of it was me having to deal with immature, violent, morons called my "shipmates" and the fact that I felt that I had made a huge mistake by getting into this nightmare called "the military" didn't help me at all.~

See my earlier post answering the previous poster concerned with my "handling of structure".~

Please focus on the topic at hand and you don't have to worry about my mental state.~

I can handle a lot, but military boot camp was too much for me and prison I imagine would be even worse.~

Those are about the most extreme examples of a "controlled" and "structured" lifestyle I can imagine.~

Very few people can even qualify to enter the military and not every one can handle the lifestyle or even make it through boot camp.~

Please do not judge me, even if any of you did go through a similar experience or even the exact same experience, this does not make you the same as me nor qualified to judge me based upon my actions.~

Thank you.~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 11:39 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,887,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
"General Personality Disorder" is a catch-all-term for many, many miscellaneous situations and "diagnosises".~

It is NOT an "actual" "Disorder" in the same sense as schizophrenia, bi-polar disorder, turrets syndrome, etc.~

Many people get this so-called "Diagnosis" and easily contest this then go back into the military, but while being processed out of the Navy I realized it was really some thing I really dreaded doing and loathed doing so I took the opportunity to "get-out" while I could.~

I'm welcome to come back in any time with a waiver if I choose to, but I don't have any current nor future plans to do so.~

Basically I wasn't "getting along with people" and because of my high-school history of some thing similar happening my therapist saw a "pattern".~

Part of it was actually me not handling bad situations properly, but most of it was me having to deal with immature, violent, morons called my "shipmates" and the fact that I felt that I had made a huge mistake by getting into this nightmare called "the military" didn't help me at all.~

See my earlier post answering the previous poster concerned with my "handling of structure".~

Please focus on the topic at hand and you don't have to worry about my mental state.~

I can handle a lot, but military boot camp was too much for me and prison I imagine would be even worse.~

Those are about the most extreme examples of a "controlled" and "structured" lifestyle I can imagine.~

Very few people can even qualify to enter the military and not every one can handle the lifestyle or even make it through boot camp.~

Please do not judge me, even if any of you did go through a similar experience or even the exact same experience, this does not make you the same as me nor qualified to judge me based upon my actions.~

Thank you.~
How does any of this make sense to anyone?

No one asked but I will. Are you gay?

Old 05-17-2014, 01:58 AM

778 posts, read 823,006 times
Hooo boy, okay. This is going to be fun.

OP, I am writing to you from Arcata, California, home of Humboldt State University (where I am studying Environmental Management and Protection), which might be a fine place for you to study if you can get your head together a bit. But there's some things we need to discuss first.

"I've considered Forestry, but I've heard some horrible things about that job area that I don't like.~"

Your view on the use of natural resources is a bit out there. Do you think the native tribes sat around and waited for trees to fall over before using them? I promise you, they cut down trees. It's part of the human condition that we alter our environment, and that isn't going to stop. We have a need to harvest and build.

What I'm saying is you can't go into Forestry and not deal with logging companies. In fact, I can't think of any area that deals with nature where you don't have to at least consider these things.

So if your goals are no trees cut down, no fungus trampled, no animal eaten, zero compromises...you're not going to be able to make a career of this. You're not even going to make it through school, because you're going to have to learn about sustainable forestry management practices which include logging. You're going to hike through second-growth redwood forest because the original growth was all logged three generations ago. Someone from Green Diamond is going to come to your class and talk about their job as a forester or fisheries biologist or land surveyor and you're going to have to be at least marginally respectful to them, even though they are directly or indirectly murdering trees.

If you can't handle that, don't bother getting into this line of work.

"These are the truths:"

These are some other truths:

CSUs are the cheaper public college option in CA, and tuition alone ranges from $5,000-$9,000 per year. Once you factor in the associated costs of attendance, you hit an estimate of around $15,000 annually: http://www.calstate.edu/sas/costofat...2013-14COA.pdf

The only way you're going to know what your financial aid situation is going to be is to submit a FAFSA once you've picked some potential schools. It's fine not to take our loans--in fact, it's commendable if you can manage it--but you're going to have to find some way to pay anywhere you go.

If you turn 24 before you return to school (because of the way CSU applications work, at least, you're probably going to be applying this November for the school year that starts next August, so I imagine you will be), that makes you independent for financial aid purposes and will probably help you. But even very generous financial aid doesn't always cover everything. It's your job to make up the difference somehow.

"I enjoy...I've been thinking..."

It's good to know what you like. Take those factors and smush them together into a partial job description. Don't get too specific about what you're doing, but think about how you're doing it. Think about a basic day at work. Do you have a regular 9-to-5 job? Overnight? Flexible? Do you get (or want) weekends off? Do you have a set routine, a lot of variability, or something in between? Are you given set procedures or a lot of creative control? Are you working indoors or outdoors or both? Is living comfortably a priority, or are you willing to scrape by at or below the poverty line if the job is more in line with your principles or other needs?

Make a list of requirements for your job and share those with people. Go looking at whatever job hunting websites you like, and find jobs that match your needs. Learn what they are, where they are, what they pay, and what sort of degree (if any) they require.

Do the last bit first.

Then research colleges that offer the sort of degree you need.

Then do you FAFSA and college apps.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:14 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,470,334 times
Quote:

Thank you.~
If you tell the psychologist/psychiatrist screening you for a law enforcement position that you want to become a werewolf and that you actually think you can become a werewolf, then he or she is going to disqualify you. Law enforcement agencies have more stringent psychological standards than the military.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:28 PM

628 posts, read 1,388,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
Hooo boy, okay. This is going to be fun.

OP, I am writing to you from Arcata, California, home of Humboldt State University (where I am studying Environmental Management and Protection), which might be a fine place for you to study if you can get your head together a bit. But there's some things we need to discuss first.

"I've considered Forestry, but I've heard some horrible things about that job area that I don't like.~"

Your view on the use of natural resources is a bit out there. Do you think the native tribes sat around and waited for trees to fall over before using them? I promise you, they cut down trees. It's part of the human condition that we alter our environment, and that isn't going to stop. We have a need to harvest and build.

What I'm saying is you can't go into Forestry and not deal with logging companies. In fact, I can't think of any area that deals with nature where you don't have to at least consider these things.

So if your goals are no trees cut down, no fungus trampled, no animal eaten, zero compromises...you're not going to be able to make a career of this. You're not even going to make it through school, because you're going to have to learn about sustainable forestry management practices which include logging. You're going to hike through second-growth redwood forest because the original growth was all logged three generations ago. Someone from Green Diamond is going to come to your class and talk about their job as a forester or fisheries biologist or land surveyor and you're going to have to be at least marginally respectful to them, even though they are directly or indirectly murdering trees.

If you can't handle that, don't bother getting into this line of work.

"These are the truths:"

These are some other truths:

CSUs are the cheaper public college option in CA, and tuition alone ranges from $5,000-$9,000 per year. Once you factor in the associated costs of attendance, you hit an estimate of around $15,000 annually: http://www.calstate.edu/sas/costofat...2013-14COA.pdf

The only way you're going to know what your financial aid situation is going to be is to submit a FAFSA once you've picked some potential schools. It's fine not to take our loans--in fact, it's commendable if you can manage it--but you're going to have to find some way to pay anywhere you go.

If you turn 24 before you return to school (because of the way CSU applications work, at least, you're probably going to be applying this November for the school year that starts next August, so I imagine you will be), that makes you independent for financial aid purposes and will probably help you. But even very generous financial aid doesn't always cover everything. It's your job to make up the difference somehow.

"I enjoy...I've been thinking..."

It's good to know what you like. Take those factors and smush them together into a partial job description. Don't get too specific about what you're doing, but think about how you're doing it. Think about a basic day at work. Do you have a regular 9-to-5 job? Overnight? Flexible? Do you get (or want) weekends off? Do you have a set routine, a lot of variability, or something in between? Are you given set procedures or a lot of creative control? Are you working indoors or outdoors or both? Is living comfortably a priority, or are you willing to scrape by at or below the poverty line if the job is more in line with your principles or other needs?

Make a list of requirements for your job and share those with people. Go looking at whatever job hunting websites you like, and find jobs that match your needs. Learn what they are, where they are, what they pay, and what sort of degree (if any) they require.

Do the last bit first.

Then research colleges that offer the sort of degree you need.

Then do you FAFSA and college apps.

Very great points and very helpful, thank you!~ ^_^

I like the idea of a job like this:

No set schedule, can be called to do some thing at any time.~

Varied work, not doing the exact same thing every single day.~

Training and education for job provided not expected.~

No micro-management.~

Willing to live in a mash-up of old world living and new world living: for example I don't mind living in the woods as long as I have solar-panels for electricity, internet, and TV.~ I would actually prefer an outdoor compost toilet, a room under the house to keep things cold rather than a fridgerator, and a house just the right size for me, others might see it as tiny, as I always thought U.S. Americans' idea of "space" was insane.~

No Shaving Requirements, I plan on growing my fur out as long as it will grow then see if I want to cut it when it gets below my feet, no I'm not religious, I just love my own natural body.~

Not willing to kill any thing directly, not going to set-up traps, might be willing to authorize plant cultivation provided the reasons are reasonable, taking an axe or chainsaw to a standing living tree myself is never going to happen, don't mind chopping up fallen trees.~

I despise slavery, so any thing involving "pets" and "zoos" is torture to me to even think about such places.~ I don't mind capturing an animal as long it will most definitely be released back into the wild healthy and alive.~

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
If you tell the psychologist/psychiatrist screening you for a law enforcement position that you want to become a werewolf and that you actually think you can become a werewolf, then he or she is going to disqualify you. Law enforcement agencies have more stringent psychological standards than the military.
First of all, what does my goal of becoming a Werewolf have to do being a Park Ranger?~

Second of all, do you really think I would I mention such a thing if it did not pertain to the subject at hand in my psychological interview/test?~

Third of all, what makes you the authority on any of this?~

Old 05-17-2014, 03:28 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
The job description you have written here sounds almost like Superman, and that is fiction.

It doesn't take an expert in any topic to recognize mental illness. You don't like to be told what to do, and you don't want to study or learn anything, and your stated life goal is to become a fictional character.

I don't know how you have internet access, but you sound like you have serious mental health problems. Trust me, if the military kicked you out, there is something wrong.

Securing employment will be difficult.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:04 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Well, this is my background. Forest fires are often needed to help forests. Many plants, animals, and trees need forest fires to continue to exist... indeed many of our endangered habitats and species are those that need fires.

Beyond that, forestry teaches you a lot more than how to just manage it as a resource for exploitation. It teachers you tools and concepts, how you use them is different.

I have so much I can chime in here having had a career in environmental conservation. Truth be told, if you want to make the biggest impact and continue to have employment... marketing/communication and development are the paths where you can make the biggest difference. Being a biologist is great, but it is touch, and you're not always the once setting the stewardship goals or management plants that you have to carry out.

If you really need variation, a degree in botany or wildlife or fisheries biology can lead to a good string of seasonal positions. They pay nothing, you often have to move around a lot, and they have no benefits. Generally people wanting permanent positions in the field do these for years before getting a full time position. I personally did everything from bird surveys in the Dakotas, to turtle surveys in NY to watersnake surveys in KY (and others) for years.

It's not an easy field, and there is a ton of burn out, but it can be rewarding.

To be a jack of all trades will take decades. There are some great general naturalist programs (UVM) has one, but it is for elite students, and nothing will take the place of decades in the field. For that:

Botany botany botany: Learn your plants and how to key them out in the field. Ornithology: Be able to bird very well by song. And know geology. Geology creates soils and landforms and soils tell you what you will likely be dealing with before you get there.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:45 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,470,334 times
Quote:
First of all, what does my goal of becoming a Werewolf have to do being a Park Ranger?~

Second of all, do you really think I would I mention such a thing if it did not pertain to the subject at hand in my psychological interview/test?~

Third of all, what makes you the authority on any of this?~
You're in denial. I've taken the MMPI. It's the most popular psychological test given to law enforcement candidates. With the types of questions that are asked, you probably won't pass it. In the psychological interview, the mental health professional will ask you to clarify any troubling answers. I've worked in the criminal justice field for several years, currently teach criminal justice, and am working on a PhD in criminal justice. I'm not completely clueless about this field. Wanting to become a fictional creature is a sign that you're delusional. Law enforcement agencies do not want to hire anyone with obvious psychological issues. You might be able to get a job as a low-paid park ranger, but not the kind that requires you to become a law enforcement officer.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:30 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
The environmental police and game warden fields are going to be all but closed for anyone except for ex military for the foreseeable future. Every environmental police officer we've hired in the past five years is a vet. Hiring preferences is a chunk of that, but it goes beyond that. No reason to discuss it further.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:45 AM

5,454 posts, read 3,906,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The environmental police and game warden fields are going to be all but closed for anyone except for ex military for the foreseeable future. Every environmental police officer we've hired in the past five years is a vet. Hiring preferences is a chunk of that, but it goes beyond that. No reason to discuss it further.
There may not be a reason to discuss it further, but...I'd like to hear you elaborate on this, out of sheer curiosity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment