Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 03:40 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,575,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsuengineer256 View Post
You are the only person that I have heard say an engineering degree is impressive in years. I have an engineering degree and when I interview for any type of tech jobs (hardware/software), the interviewers don't say a thing about that part of my resume. I'm not looking for them to rant and rave about the degree, but some kind of acknowledgement or consideration of it in the hiring process would be appreciated. From my perspective, I don't think society in general puts any kind of worth on engineering degrees anymore. The business, financial, and sales folks all seem to rake in the money and college kids are going to go where the money is.
True story. I, too, am an engineer. Recently, I went back to my home country to visit some relatives. When people asked me what I do over here, I told them I work as an engineer. To my dismay, every time I said this people would break out laughing at me.

I sort of ignored it for a while until a relative told me he didn't know life was so hard for me over here. Puzzled, I asked him what are you talking about? He said didn't you say you work as an "engineer" in the states? I said yeah. Well, eventually I figured out that the direct translation of the word "engineer" in my language has changed dramatically since the last time I was there.

The sewer system over there have been clogging up for years. To unclog them, they have to physically send people down there to unclog the sewers. Extremely hostile and stinky conditions. For some damn reason, these guys were now "engineers". They were also not very high up there in the social ladder. Try to think of garbage men over here and the jokes that people have for them but a lot worse.

So, when I told people I was an "engineer" in the states, everyone assumed I was living in extreme poverty and things were so bad that I would do such an undesirable job.

To this day, I still have no idea how the hell the word "engineer" in my language has been hijacked like that. My question is what the hell do they call the real engineers over there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 12:15 AM

85 posts, read 132,191 times
What branch of engineering is his education?
Once worked at a retail store where one of my coworkers was going to school learning Electrical Engineering. Despite that fact, he wanted some of the more technically inclined guys in the store -none college guys- to wire his car for a new sound system. I've always wondered, was he too dumb or too lazy to just do it himself.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:56 AM

265 posts, read 409,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post
Two thoughts actually:

1. He's paying his bills somehow so he doesn't need your job. As long as it's not illegal or affecting you in any way, why do you care?

-or-

2. You made up this story so you could tell people "MY hard work and perseverance made ME successful, while HIS generation is lazy and entitled."

I'm leaning toward #2.
This one here.

Also, don't some of you ever get tired of claiming 'insert generation' is this and this without ever providing any tangible evidence. I mean, if what you're saying is as wildly know and true as your post like to claim, their should be some data out there that easy backs up your claim...preferably data that actually indicates this generations "pipe dreams" are greater than previous ones "american dreams"..........

The above being said, I have a general impression based on nothing (or my guts) that engineers can generally land jobs easier than lots of other degrees. As such, I will say (again based on nothing) that this guys probably isn't good at job searching. Not like I ever met someone with a Computer Science Degree or Graphic Artist who couldn't find any work beyond temp stuff to the point he couldn't always afford to live even with roommates and had to move back in with his parents ever other year to not starve. Of course this guy did have extensive volunteer work during his last year of schooling...but he probably wasn't good at job searching so too bad for him. :rolleyes

lol. this site never ceases to amaze me.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:00 AM

265 posts, read 409,381 times
ah, crud. there are a bunch of errors and additional comments i wanted to put into my post, but i'm not using a mouse so editing is pretty difficult. meh.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:28 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,311,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Quiet View Post
Once worked at a retail store where one of my coworkers was going to school learning Electrical Engineering. Despite that fact, he wanted some of the more technically inclined guys in the store -none college guys- to wire his car for a new sound system. I've always wondered, was he too dumb or too lazy to just do it himself.
Well, in his defense, many engineers couldn't cut it with their hands but have a solid understanding how things work.

Old 05-23-2014, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbo24 View Post
This one here.

Also, don't some of you ever get tired of claiming 'insert generation' is this and this without ever providing any tangible evidence. I mean, if what you're saying is as wildly know and true as your post like to claim, their should be some data out there that easy backs up your claim...preferably data that actually indicates this generations "pipe dreams" are greater than previous ones "american dreams"..........

The above being said, I have a general impression based on nothing (or my guts) that engineers can generally land jobs easier than lots of other degrees. As such, I will say (again based on nothing) that this guys probably isn't good at job searching. Not like I ever met someone with a Computer Science Degree or Graphic Artist who couldn't find any work beyond temp stuff to the point he couldn't always afford to live even with roommates and had to move back in with his parents ever other year to not starve. Of course this guy did have extensive volunteer work during his last year of schooling...but he probably wasn't good at job searching so too bad for him. :rolleyes

lol. this site never ceases to amaze me.
The other point to consider is if he is in debt and spent the time in school to get an engineering degree, he probably wants to exhaust every possible avenue to find an engineering job, especially because they pay more.

Oh, and the post ignores the fact that young(er) people are hit harder by the recession - in terms of unemployment, available jobs and salary.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:04 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Quiet View Post
As an engineer who's worked with countless other engineers, one might be amazed at how little time is spent in engineering school on actual hands-on, real-world applications. In short, it is not at all uncommon for an electrical engineer (for example) to know exactly how to design a great circuit, RF radiator, etc. but to have no idea how to change a light-switch unless he learned it someplace outside of school. Note that this applies even to those who are hard-working and intelligent since they simply don't learn much of that "real world" stuff in school

I suspect this is a hang-over from the days when colleges were about "higher learner" and "becoming more well-rounded" and thus didn't want to sully their names with lowly "trade skills," such as home wiring, etc.

Long story short, IMHO, all engineers should have to take 1 class in college that talks about the real-world aspects of what they are doing, including things like: design for ease of assembly and maintenance, tolerances, safety, etc.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
As an engineer who's worked with countless other engineers, one might be amazed at how little time is spent in engineering school on actual hands-on, real-world applications. In short, it is not at all uncommon for an electrical engineer (for example) to know exactly how to design a great circuit, RF radiator, etc. but to have no idea how to change a light-switch unless he learned it someplace outside of school. Note that this applies even to those who are hard-working and intelligent since they simply don't learn much of that "real world" stuff in school

I suspect this is a hang-over from the days when colleges were about "higher learner" and "becoming more well-rounded" and thus didn't want to sully their names with lowly "trade skills," such as home wiring, etc.

Long story short, IMHO, all engineers should have to take 1 class in college that talks about the real-world aspects of what they are doing, including things like: design for ease of assembly and maintenance, tolerances, safety, etc.
This is a very good point.

I know several people, who went to schools with decent pedigrees in engineering, computer science and other STEM fields who couldn't even install an OS whether it be Windows, Mac OS or Linux or debug why their home network isn't working as expected.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:

This is a very good point.

I know several people, who went to schools with decent pedigrees in engineering, computer science and other STEM fields who couldn't even install an OS whether it be Windows, Mac OS or Linux or debug why their home network isn't working as expected.

It just makes the rest of us look bad. I can't tell you how many times I have electrocuted myself because I like to tinker and learn on my own. But somehow that doesnt count for peanuts....

Old 05-23-2014, 07:27 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:

Agreed.

I'm in engineering as well and have experienced this before. I've had new engineers come in and not know what an NPT fitting was or have any practical experience. I've reviewed drawings that were unmachinable because they had never had any experience in machining. They are strong in theory, but didn't know how to apply it properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment