Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 03:13 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,641,946 times

Advertisements

Before I blow up on this payroll department like Mount Saint Helens, I figured I should ask a neutral audience what to do.

This company I'm working for is withholding my pay for an extra week; I worked for them for the first time on the 3rd expecting to be paid by the 19th - today. The payroll rep told me that I wouldn't be paid until the 26th now, and I have to work for them again this Saturday, the 24th, with three dollars in my bank account. I spent over 30 dollars on materials to work for these people on the 3rd, including 12 dollars for the food permit, 20 for the shirt, 5 for the apron, 3 for the cap, and at least 20 in gas. They were supposed to pay me $66 for the event where I demonstrated Starbucks coffee samples for them in a grocery store all day on a Saturday, and on top of that cost me 7 dollars in public transportation money to get there and back. I thought this was an honest company.

I have three dollars in my bank account to do their event on this Saturday. This is the e-mail exchange today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME
Hello,

I am wondering when I will be paid for the event I completed on May 3, 2014. The event MarketLink and Event Agreement, with attached receipts and store manager's signature, were sent to [company] by the cutoff date [May 7] and I have not been paid. The event also does not appear under Completed Events in my [company] profile.

The event number was XXX and my employee number is XXX. The debit card number is XXX. This event was for $66. My understanding was that the payroll date was May 19, 2014, but I have not received payment and also wondering why this event is marked as Incomplete under my [company] profile.

Please get in touch with me as soon as possible about this issue at XXXX or e-mail me at XXXX.

Regards,
XXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payroll
In order to be paid on 5/19/14, your paperwork had to be in the office by 5/7/14. Your paperwork came into the office on 5/8/14, and will pay out on 5/26/14. Why did you return product and get cash back from the event?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME
I returned the leftover unused products. What was I supposed to do with them? The instructions read not to take any of the unused products out of the store, and the manager told me to return them as well. What was I supposed to do with unused products?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Payroll
Routinely, product should be returned for a gift card and you return the gift card with your paperwork. You can also throw the items away, if they can’t be returned. We will be deducting this amount from your payment for this event.
There was absolutely nothing in the event manual instructions, onboarding nor orientation about turning in unused unopened products for gift cards and sending them in! The store manager told me to return these items and I did. I had written out a lengthy resignation about how they've been inconsistent with me from this job before posting this here, but I don't want to do something overly dramatic. It's a bs job and she's trying to wiggle me out of my wages by delaying them and punishing me for something that was never, ever said to do in the first place.

I'm thinking of going to this person's superior and talking about what happened, but feel like the only thing they're going to tell me is that I should just wait another week to be paid less than the fee the company agreed to pay when I fulfilled my end of the contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 03:17 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Two separate issues ...

The return situation does sound fishy. Who trained you?

I can only offer an opinion on the payment, which, it sounds like, you are stuck according to policy.

What do you think the superior will do?

Not to sound harsh, but it's not their problem that you only have $3 in your bank account. It sucks, but it sounds like you will have to wait till the 26th.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Two separate issues ...

The return situation does sound fishy. Who trained you?

I can only offer an opinion on the payment, which, it sounds like, you are stuck according to policy.

What do you think the superior will do?

Not to sound harsh, but it's not their problem that you only have $3 in your bank account. It sucks, but it sounds like you will have to wait till the 26th.

I trained me. The company has an online orientation and training, and it's up to each individual to finish the online training sessions - they don't allow workers to be assigned to events if they haven't finished the online training with scores of 100% out of 100%. None of this about gift cards that I'm being reprimanded for was mentioned, ever. Then there's the issue that they're delaying paying me supposedly because they didn't receive my paperwork until the day after May 7 when I sent it to them on the 6th and the company instructs us that we have until the 7th to send it, not for them to receive it.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:24 PM

What incentive do I have to do this next event for them on Saturday if they haven't even paid me a dime for the last one???

Old 05-19-2014, 03:28 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
What incentive do I have to do this next event for them on Saturday if they haven't even paid me a dime for the last one???
Any salaried employee could ask that question at any time. Your incentive is your continued employment.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:31 PM

It seems really unfair. I have financial commitments by this week and things I need to live. I can't wait a week for this money that they have no right to keep from me.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:55 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Is this Sodexo? Why did you pay so much up front? It does not seem above board to me.

Old 05-19-2014, 03:59 PM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
It seems really unfair. I have financial commitments by this week and things I need to live.
Your failure to plan ahead is not your company's problem.
As you retell it, they are going by company policy... no personal vendetta against you!

Old 05-19-2014, 04:03 PM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
Why did you pay so much up front? It does not seem above board to me.
What I was thinking too... any money paid upfront is too much!

Old 05-19-2014, 05:44 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,991,475 times
Did you explain your situation? If you had more money in the bank, you could ride it out. Might be time to look for other ways to make money. In the meantime......

Ask for a check to be cut....and let them know you want to do the event on Saturday, but financially will not be able to until you receive the money as agreed. Hopefully, they will have some compassion.

It is frustrating to be in such a bind, but unless you have something else lined up, looks like you are going to have to borrow some cash from a family member or friend.

Their reply reads like you didn't follow their instructions regarding the gift card or get your time sheet in on time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment