Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 09:12 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,418 times

Advertisements

You are not doing them a favor by "hearing them out", you are wasting their time to begin with - especially if you are doing it "for practice if nothing else". If you have time to do a practice interview, how do you not have time to finish it? That was a head scratcher when I read it. If you are already having reservations based upon your research, their business model and clients, then you shoudn't go. It sounds like a bad situation to start that isn't likely to get better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 08:37 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,138,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
I am just curious what people think, and specifically HM's.

If a candidate determines the job will not be a good fit is it rude to politely cut it short and thank them for their time?

I ask because I am looking at this company that invited me straight to interview w/o phone screen and am I already seeing this may not be a good fit for me. I figure I should go and try to keep an open mind, but want a tactful way to cut it short if I confirm it's not for me.

In all my years of selling there were times I just spoke up and said not a good fit for this prospect, but I guess I feel like it's different for interviewing?
Sounds like you aren't interested. Why would you waste their time...and yours? What if you went and they cut you short because you didn't have what they were looking for? It works both ways you know.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:25 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
I had a situation where I went through 1st round interviews and I told the company no, I didn't want to continue to the 2nd rounds, when I was called back. But to essentially get up and leave in the middle of the interview is problematic and can be taken badly. In my industry in my area, everyone knows everyone in some shape manner or form, it could come back to haunt you.
I tend to agree.. For those who say 'politely and respectfully end the interview'.. How, exactly, do you do that?

"I don't want to sound rude, but.."

Sounds exactly like something you can put at the beginning of any sentence and then say whatever you want..

"With all due respect, go f**k yourself"

or

"She's as dumb as a box of rocks.. Bless her heart"

I have no problem with declining a second round, but to end an interview.. Just seems problematic to me. No real 'polite and respectful' way out of it. I'm sure some people would give you points for ending it early, but, seems too touchy..

I've declined interviews with companies and told them that the reason was the number of times I had seen the position posted, which indicates a high turnover. I've declined an in-person interview after hearing the salary range they were offering.. I've known in the middle of interviews I wouldn't accept a position no matter what they offered.. But.. I don't see a good out to end an interview in the middle.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:31 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
I read the posts, did some more research, and am going to check it out because the benefits are much better than what I currently get.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:35 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
I think the OP's time IS that valuable. If it's not a good fit, and not worthy of the employer's time either, end politely when the interviewer appears to be wrapping up. You don't even really need to say anything: a lot of times, it's very obvious to everyone in the room that this won't work out. Saying nothing sometimes say the most.
I agree, when done tactfully. No one wants their time wasted. It's not a date and no one's feelings are going to get hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search