Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2014, 02:06 PM

514 posts, read 764,238 times

Advertisements

My manager is a total push-over. Whenever in team meetings, she plays the part of the warrior, going on and on about how she is pushing back against upper management to get our team the exposure and praise it deserves. But outside of meetings, she bows down to their demands and lets them walk all over us and at times even attempts to blame us for failure to meet an objective. I am so sick of this duality. I never know whose side she is really on. Do you think this is a sign of a bad manager?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 02:07 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Yes.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:19 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
That's an eye-catching headline.

I thought you attempted to the fight the manager and they refused.

I am so disappointed. Nothing to see here, move along folks. *Move4ward puts away his popcorn.*

Old 05-20-2014, 02:23 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
She is covering her assets. It's normal in the business world. Tow the line.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I have never worked anywhere that people were expecting exposure and praise, they always expected a paycheck and benefits. She is a bad manager if she is "pushing back against upper management" as you said, because a good manager
doesn't have to prove to anyone that their team is doing a good job, the performance metrics data should speak for itself.

Old 05-20-2014, 02:36 PM

820 posts, read 1,208,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have never worked anywhere that people were expecting exposure and praise, they always expected a paycheck and benefits. She is a bad manager if she is "pushing back against upper management" as you said, because a good manager
doesn't have to prove to anyone that their team is doing a good job, the performance metrics data should speak for itself.
This, nobody praises Web/Software devs, when we do what we are paid to do.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:07 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
My manager is a total push-over. Whenever in team meetings, she plays the part of the warrior, going on and on about how she is pushing back against upper management to get our team the exposure and praise it deserves. But outside of meetings, she bows down to their demands and lets them walk all over us and at times even attempts to blame us for failure to meet an objective. I am so sick of this duality. I never know whose side she is really on. Do you think this is a sign of a bad manager?
Its hard to say without being in the situation. Yes the manager needs to show upper management the accolades and worth of the department. If you think otherwise.... you're going to have a hard time... results in a lot of departments rarely speak for themselves. Having said that, you can only push forward with your agenda so much, and push against the tide so much or else you're not going to be there anymore... Point is, she may or may not be working to further your department's agenda with senior management, it may or may not be obvious. Challenging senior management head on is not both an easy nor a smart task. She may need to tone down the pump in the staff meetings, or you ask her about it, or maybe you just need to live with the duality.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:14 PM

3,488 posts, read 6,507,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-fused View Post
yes.
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment