Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 04:31 PM

8 posts, read 14,593 times

Advertisements

Just as the title states, I am looking for an accounting position in the Houston area and would like to know where I should start looking? Are there any recommended job agency? Who is hiring at the moment? ETC. Thanks for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 05:32 PM

26 posts, read 56,875 times
Robert Half Finance would be a good agency to start.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:59 PM

675 posts, read 1,452,778 times
More details please. Do you have your BBA, MS in accounting, in finance? Where did you go to school/ did you go to school? What year did you graduate? Do you want to go to public accounting or industry?

Old 05-21-2014, 09:13 PM

Robert Half seems to be giving me a run around so I am hoping for other options.

RiP808 - I have an M.S in accounting graduated from UTSA last May. I did some seasonal work for the Treasury Dept and intern for a small tax firm (non-cpa).

Old 05-22-2014, 10:34 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,073 times
I'd encourage you to pursue your CPA. Either way, are you looking to do Financial Reporting, Tax, Audit, or Internal Audit? All three are viable options for people with an accounting background.

I suspect if RH is giving you the run around, they just don't have openings for people with your level of experience. Be that as it may, explore smaller regional firms, or apply directly with the Big 4. Big 4 might have already selected their crop for the year & like to do recruiting from the major schools. Everyone is hiring these days. Have you checked jobs sites? Or Houston governmental websites? Suburban & county too? There are tons of options if you have the will to look.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:49 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,017,815 times
Robert Half and other recruiting firms don't often place new grads. I'd try smaller recruiting firms if you want to go that route, but if I were you I'd (a) use your college career center and (b) start making connections on LinkedIn, send people in the industry you would like to work in direct messages.

Many (most) won't reply, but some will, and you will garner a better response if you don't ask for a job but just a few minutes of their time to get some information about the career and industry they work in. E-networking is really important these days and someone will appreciate you took the time to seek them out on LinkedIn for advice, and doors will open. Make sure the note you send them reflects the fact that you read their profile and is concise. If they recognize it as a generic LinkedIn bomb, you'll never get a reply.

It may take time though. But be persistent.

I am a CPA but no longer work as one or in the industry and I can tell you the field is going absolutely nuts. I get calls from headhunters daily or multiple times a day. You will get an opportunity. Make sure that while you are not working you are pursuing your CPA. With a MS you should have all the hours needed to start sitting for the exam. As a new grad, even passing sections is seen as a plus to hiring managers, and it demonstrates you are not just sitting around doing nothing while you conduct your job search.

Also, apply directly with local CPA firms. They are growing rapidly in Houston and need good people all the time. Connect with these people on LinkedIn.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:31 PM

Augiec - I would like to find an opportunity within the Audit area of Accounting but it seems that CPA firms are requesting for experience, experience, experience. However, I am open to gain more experience in any category of Accounting. Ive checked job sites and have place numerous application online only to get replies of the position has been filled by someone else.

Failed Engineer - I do have the hours to sit for my examination and am currently studying for that as we speak. Can I ask why aren't you in the industry anymore? Another question is what review material did you use to pass the exam and do you have any recommended tips for passing? I will be looking heavily into local CPA firms and will have to be patient in this process.

Thank you to both for the advice and recommendations!

Old 05-22-2014, 02:24 PM

398 posts, read 746,119 times
Are you vietnamese? Lol i just had to ask.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:14 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Have you approached all of the big banks?

Old 05-22-2014, 05:18 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,003,137 times
https://wit.twc.state.tx.us/WORKINTE...kiecheckflag=1

Try this website as well. It helped me get my position with the state.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
View detailed profiles of: