Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 09:20 PM

4 posts, read 5,934 times

Advertisements

I came across this forum while searching for career switching forums. I'm brand new so hello!

I'm in my mid twenties and I am looking to switch careers. I have been a Funeral Director for a little over three years and I feel burned out. It's not that I am not passionate about what I do, but I never expected a job to have this taken this kind of toll on my life. Honestly, I have no life.

I love the work. I love the people I work with and who I work for. The salary and benefits are enough for me to live comfortably. The only issue is that I work all the time. When I am not working, I am on call. And most of the time when I am on call I do actually get called in.

I rarely get sleep or have days off and it's really taking it's toll on me. I have no social life anymore and I often find myself wanting more consistent hours. But in an industry like this there is no way to have set hours because death is just so unpredictable.

My schedule right.now: I work Monday through Friday. Work weekends with services or calls. On call each day and night. Even weekends. I might get a weekend off a month (Thursday-Sunday) but that's verrrry rare.

I'm thinking of going into another field but I'm just not sure where to go from here. I was thinking about pursuing a masters degree to make myself more marketable, but I honestly don't know what I would study. I'm unsure as to how to market myself since my skills are so specific (I also embalm).

I would also need to find something where I would earn a similar salary. Right now I make mid forties.

Can anyone here offer me any suggestions? Obviously a 9 to 5 and weekends off is the dream but honestly? I just want a few days a week off. I don't mind working overtime or working hard... I feel so burned out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 08:47 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
I am really stumped as to how you can use that experience into a new career. It's pretty limited. Maybe selling life insurance? You do have job security, there are always going to be people dying. You might be surprised to know that many other jobs have the same working hours problems, such as EMT/paramedic/Fire/Police, supervisors/managers, and many key IT positions.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:28 AM

1,588 posts, read 2,315,407 times
Please note that I know nothing of your industry but it seems like you are underpaid for the amount of time you work.

Is this the standard for the industry?

You mention that you work for someone else...is this a standard low man on the totem pole situation where in a couple of years you will be making more and working less?

Do you have a rich uncle? Is it possible to open your own undertaking business?

Old 05-22-2014, 09:31 AM

173 posts, read 218,677 times
That's a tough one. I wonder if it would help to move your business to a smaller town where business is steady but you might not have as many customers? There's certainly a lot of security in that field.

Or, if business is so good, maybe bring on a partner who could help balance things for you and give you a break on a consistent basis.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:42 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,662,130 times
Have you considered opening up a transport service for the funeral homes? My father started working part-time at a funeral home for something to do and ended up going back to college to become a funeral director. In the meantime he opened a transport service and hired two people to drive. He makes more money off of the transport service now than he does the funeral home or his cabinet shop. Maybe that's an idea since you know the business and already have contacts in the industry.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:47 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,763,453 times
Casket sales?

Old 05-22-2014, 01:41 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,603,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah Hunt View Post
I'm a funeral director looking to switch careers!
You really should have went with:

I'm a funeral director dying to switch careers!

Old 05-22-2014, 01:45 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,122,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You really should have went with:

I'm a funeral director dying to switch careers!

You're dead serious about this?

Old 05-22-2014, 02:03 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,770,552 times
To the OP, what else interests you? - Your field is seemingly narrow as someone else already mentioned, but you could think creatively and channel your current skill set into something else even semi-related with regular hours?

Honestly, if you already have a bachelor's degree, and you don't have a ton of money set aside, I would get some other experience under my belt before switching careers and considering going back to school. If that is the case, you are still young enough to switch fields without going back to school for another degree. Time is on your side if you are without lots of family obligations.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:11 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,791,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
You're dead serious about this?
LOL...you guys are killin' me.

Edit: OP, do something in medicine. Maybe phlebotomy, I don't know but something in the medical field.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment