Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 05:09 PM

3 posts, read 3,163 times

Advertisements

I'm almost 30 years old and don't have much in the way of professional work experience. I've worked in the grocery store industry as a stocker and that's about it. Over the next five years, I would really like to have a career, not just a job, meaning (to me) permanent, full-time work with viable advancement opportunities and a career path.

The only thing that I am naturally good at is writing and editing but I have only one month of experience actually working in the field a couple of years ago, along with a bachelor degree in Creative Writing. In an ideal world, I would devote all my time to building up my own writing and editing business and have the financial means to do so, but I am almost 30 and really need to be able to support myself as soon as possible. So, I'm fine with pursuing writing on the side. But that still leaves me with what to do as a primary career until my dream career can be established.

Which has brought me to consider accounting. The pluses of accounting are it's a pretty stable career compared to a lot of other careers, it can pay well, there is a pretty clear advancement structure, it's generally 9-5 M-F work, and it would be great to understand the language of business. I've been told that accounting might fit my personality, which is introverted.

The only downside of accounting for me is that numerical reasoning has been my weakest area, as evident on standardized tests. I can do well in math and have gone up to Calculus with a B, but it wasn't the easiest B I've ever obtained. I can plug numbers into formulas well enough but tend to lack a deeper understanding. When I'm doing mental math, I usually make an error.

I am willing to put in hard work on my quantitative reasoning skills because the pluses of accounting far outweigh the minus. But, on the other hand, I'm nervous that I might not be able to overcome not being naturally good at numerical thinking and I really want a successful career.

Are there any accountants here who struggled with numbers and overcame that to have a successful, or at least, decent career? Or anyone who would offer constructive advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 05:18 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,441 times
First off why are you posting on a forum to ask total strangers if you should go into accounting? You need to set up an appointment at your local University or college and maybe take some career tests.

In my honest opinion all careers are saturated right now so if you want to make a change....you better start NOW!

My ex went into accounting as a third career...breezed right in and was making 65k right out of the box. Other people have been unemployed for years.

Also, accountants do not have to be good at math (hello that is why there's a calculator at everyone's desk). You will only learn the theory-I think any career can be decent-just depends on what you want.

Good luck!

Old 05-22-2014, 05:35 PM

3 posts, read 3,163 times
Thanks for the reply! I want to take an accounting class at my local community college over the summer to test the waters. The main reason I'm posting is that I'm hoping to hear from people who've gone into accounting and were able to make it work despite not being naturally good with numbers. I like firsthand stories and insight from people who started like me and accomplished what I want.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:47 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloHelmet View Post
Thanks for the reply! I want to take an accounting class at my local community college over the summer to test the waters. The main reason I'm posting is that I'm hoping to hear from people who've gone into accounting and were able to make it work despite not being naturally good with numbers. I like firsthand stories and insight from people who started like me and accomplished what I want.

I did pretty well in Accounting-received A's up to Intermediate Accounting II then it was C+. Honestly I would take a few career tests (you might be able to find them online). Just make sure you are honest.
Yeah I would take at least 3 or 4..Accounting 101 I thought was fun.. Intermediate Accounting II...well it's a different ball of wax...

Old 05-22-2014, 07:37 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Accountants don't do much math. And depending on the type of accounting, it can be a lot of advising. If you enjoy tax accounting, considering that, big bucks for good tax accountants.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:56 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,017 times
Well you don't use math, but if your not good at math, you won't be good at accounting. It's the same thinking. That's why you take the classes.

Just take an accounting class and see if you like it.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:02 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,430,666 times
Quote:

it's generally 9-5 M-F work
hahahahaha

That's rich. CPA's working 9-5. I'll take things that don't exist for 1000.

Quote:
Accountants don't do much math.
While it's true that accounting is heavily based on "law" (taxes/gaap), what you're saying is basically false.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:19 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
While it's true that accounting is heavily based on "law" (taxes/gaap), what you're saying is basically false.
Well, I guess it depends on what he means by math, and what we consider "much" to be.

I would argue that accounting is more analytical than mathematical. And a good portion of it has to do with knowing regulations. Especially so when one gets to above jr. level. I don't consider manipulating numbers in a spreadsheet to be math. And addition, subtraction and percentages aren't very complex things. I know there's more to it but really, the math skills needed aren't overwhelming. It's much more about understanding cost, different forms of depreciation, and all those goodies.

By math, I assumed the OP was talking about the math needed for fields like engineering, so I stick to my statement that accounting doesn't have much math and is not mathematically complex relative to real math heavy fields. I guess if you compared it to a party planner it may seem like there was some math. And the classes have some math (not too much though, again, it's more analytics than math) but practically speaking, there really isn't much at all.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:45 AM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,902 times
OP definitely take the intro to Accounting class to test the waters (I may be doing the same next fall as well). From friends who are in accounting they tell there is math but you are not doing engineering or physics level math.

In regards to employability one argument is that there are really no guaranteed majors, that is you have unemployed accounting grads as well as nursing grads etc... Still if I was going back to school I would rather take my chances in Accounting than pursuing a 2nd degree in History, Anthropology etc... You might as well shoot for the major that gives you the better chance for success.

As an aside, I know the struggles of trying to make the Writing degree work. Countless tailored resume and cover letters to internships, editorial assistant, marketing assistant type positions and may I add a majority of the internships I applied to are non-paying and still nothing, no bites. I assume there are simply more people wanting the English/Writing type internships than there are internships available- which really tells something about the viability of a major when you cannot even land a unpaid internship

Old 05-23-2014, 08:09 PM

659 posts, read 940,564 times
I am currently 27 and in school for Accounting Paraprofessional degree.
It's an Associate's degree that will net me a job with the titles of: Bookkeeper, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivables, Accounting Clerk, or Accounting Assistant.

At entry level, these jobs pay $15-$18 an hour in my state which is pretty darn good. Within 2-3 years, the average career progression is a promotion to Accounts Supervisor (job title sandwiched between Accountant and Accounting Assistant). That type of job pays anywhere from $16-$22 an hour (not counting overtime) depending on the company

I'm actually fine with starting over in a new career field. Four years is all I need to not only establish myself in a new career, but to pay off my student loans for my prior degree and save up some money to take some courses at a university (part time) until I get a BS in Accounting and then the CPA.

What I like about the Accounting field is that when you started doesn't really matter (sometimes it does especially if you want to work for the Big 4 right away), it's a field where age can actually work with you instead of against you. It's also a field in which you can pretty much work in any industry and in any country (provided you know their laws).

As for the Math portion, don't worry about it. I too was worried. I was a constant C student when it came to math. I had no problems memorizing mathematical formulas, but applying them was the issue. I was also the type to get very good grades on the homework but completely bomb the tests. Pretending the tests I'm taking was a homework assignment didn't work at all. I had to take Calculus 3 times (high school senior year, college, and again in another college because credits from the previous college didn't transfer), and I finally got an A.

In Accounting, the math is just simple addition, subtraction, division, and multiplication. The formulas aren't that difficult, it's easy to memorize them and unlike Calculus, putting the formulas into practice won't give you any surprises. If you're okay with simple formulas like: a2 + b2 = c2 ... then you'll be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment