Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 01:36 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I am sure it's much harder but giving birth would be a choice so it can't be in the same category. I know accidents can happen though and having a child is okay to be a goal for someone so I do agree that the maternity leave should be paid but again like others have said there should be enough regular sick leave to allow for insufferable cycles.
If your cycle gives you that much pain and issues, you may have some underlying cause and need to see a doctor.

It seems like something easily abused as well AND IMO fighting for paid maternity leave is more important than menstrual leave. I just don't see the need for menstrual leave when probably 90% of women have no major problems with their cycles. But 100% of women should be able to have the opportunity to bond with their child without fear of losing their job or having to go back to work to make money because their jobs don't pay for them to have paid maternity leave.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:12 AM

143 posts, read 188,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
it should be the reverse. If their female boss is at her crazy time, all the men should get paid leave once a month until it's over.

I am down for that.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ +1

Old 06-01-2014, 04:45 AM

143 posts, read 188,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
it should be the reverse. If their female boss is at her crazy time, all the men should get paid leave once a month until it's over.

I am down for that.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ +1

Old 06-01-2014, 11:05 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,640,814 times
Absolutely. I have fibroids so my periods are heavier and last two to three days longer than most women's, and to be quite honest, I'm more irritable, fatigued, and less productive and less receptive/friendly when I'm menstruating. The commute to and from work isn't good either. Less productivity and change in attitude alone should warrant three-day leave at the least.

I once read that many of the symptoms menstruating women experience can be similar to what women in their third trimester experience on "bad days" particularly regarding body aches, tiredness, irritability, increase in weight, water retention, cravings and increased appetite, pelvic cramps and frequent bathroom use.

Three days leave isn't going to break the company/agency, especially considering productivity is significantly impacted when an individual is bleeding a pint of life out of their vagina. So I've never understood why not have paid menstrual leave, except that men and menopausal women would be jealous menstruating women would get justified time off while they hammer away working. Potential for abuse is probable, but those women would then suffer for it later. It's like saying food stamps could be abused, so therefore nobody should get any.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:28 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post

Three days leave isn't going to break the company/agency, especially considering productivity is significantly impacted when an individual is bleeding a pint of life out of their vagina.
So I've never understood why not have paid menstrual leave, Potential for abuse is probable, but those women would then suffer for it later. It's like saying food stamps could be abused, so therefore nobody should get any.
I would say these two statements are the most ridiculous statements in this thread so far...although i cant possibly imagine anyone actually being jealous of someone having such debilitating conditions as the ones being claimed here, it sounds like youre basically saying that its acceptable for ANYBODY to feel like there is bias in the workplace...to imply that any healthy person man or woman, would be jealous of someone getting time off from work for a medical condition is like saying "I really think all the healthy boys and girls at work are just jealous of my breast cancer since I get time off from work while theyre stuck hammering away at work...hahaaa...suckeerrs!".....like really?..on what planet would there be any sane person to whom that would make an ounce of sense?

I also interpreted from these statements that you dont seem to think that taking a 3 day leave would result in a significant loss in productivity to a company. A point on which I agree with you, if a person is taking 3 days of unpaid leave, or are using their own accumulated PTO. But to me, it would seem like common sense that paying a person to take 3 days off each month, separate from their own pto/vacation days, in addition to the loss of productivity would be crippling to almost any business...the only way it wouldnt be is if all competing companies agreed to do a level set to re establish the average industry profit margin to offset the lowest common denominator: that being workers (those who get paid to work) who dont work. (For whatever reason).....

incidentally im at the mechanic shop right now getting an oil change, and the young woman helping me with my car is one of the better customer service workers/mechanics I have come across so far...obviously this is a mostly male environment but she has always done a good job, and she at least sure SEEMS to know what shes doing as much as any of the men around here...I think it would be a slap in the face to her for someone to ask if she needed a few extra days off for her biology to finish dicking with her...but, then again, she is also one of the most butch looking, gender bending women ive met...and who knows?...she might take em lol

Old 06-01-2014, 01:26 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,640,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soletaire View Post
I would say these two statements are the most ridiculous statements in this thread so far...although i cant possibly imagine anyone actually being jealous of someone having such debilitating conditions as the ones being claimed here, it sounds like youre basically saying that its acceptable for ANYBODY to feel like there is bias in the workplace...to imply that any healthy person man or woman, would be jealous of someone getting time off from work for a medical condition is like saying "I really think all the healthy boys and girls at work are just jealous of my breast cancer since I get time off from work while theyre stuck hammering away at work...hahaaa...suckeerrs!".....like really?..on what planet would there be any sane person to whom that would make an ounce of sense?

I also interpreted from these statements that you dont seem to think that taking a 3 day leave would result in a significant loss in productivity to a company. A point on which I agree with you, if a person is taking 3 days of unpaid leave, or are using their own accumulated PTO. But to me, it would seem like common sense that paying a person to take 3 days off each month, separate from their own pto/vacation days, in addition to the loss of productivity would be crippling to almost any business...the only way it wouldnt be is if all competing companies agreed to do a level set to re establish the average industry profit margin to offset the lowest common denominator: that being workers (those who get paid to work) who dont work. (For whatever reason).....

incidentally im at the mechanic shop right now getting an oil change, and the young woman helping me with my car is one of the better customer service workers/mechanics I have come across so far...obviously this is a mostly male environment but she has always done a good job, and she at least sure SEEMS to know what shes doing as much as any of the men around here...I think it would be a slap in the face to her for someone to ask if she needed a few extra days off for her biology to finish dicking with her...but, then again, she is also one of the most butch looking, gender bending women ive met...and who knows?...she might take em lol
You say that it's ridiculous to think jealousy and resentment that workers get paid time off for what's commonly not acknowledged as legitimate health concerns exists, and is a reason among others that unpaid menstrual leave is disregarded for most workers. What world are you living in where bias in the workplace doesn't exist?

Nearly everyone I know would get laughed at or terminated for calling in to their job to ask for a sick day for body aches, fatigue, dizziness and cramps unless they have a really good job with a company that cares about them. Otherwise, it is not considered a medical condition as you cited, and we're forced to go to work, be less productive, and in pain and "deal with it" because of the disregard that you believe doesn't exist.

As for 36 days a year of an employee getting paid time off, offer flexible options that include telework if possible or deduct some of the paid sick non-menstrual days, or where workers can opt out of their three days and maybe take just one, or none. There are tons of solutions and options that people who just don't want to give women this benefit refuse to consider.

Last edited by Yiuppy; 06-01-2014 at 01:37 PM..

Old 06-01-2014, 02:11 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,139,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
You say that it's ridiculous to think jealousy and resentment that workers get paid time off for what's commonly not acknowledged as legitimate health concerns exists, and is a reason among others that unpaid menstrual leave is disregarded for most workers. What world are you living in where bias in the workplace doesn't exist?
great question...im living in the real world where even when biases DO exist, they certainly arent sponsored by corporate policy, unless there actually IS a documented and legitimate medical condition where upon regular followups are required to document the existence of a chronic, ongoing medical condition...and even then you dont get full pay for intermittent disability time off.

Quote:

As for 36 days a year of an employee getting paid time off, offer flexible options that include telework if possible or deduct some of the paid sick non-menstrual days, or where workers can opt out of their three days and maybe take just one, or none. There are tons of solutions and options that people who just don't want to give women this benefit refuse to consider.
This means that anyone with a case of the sadz or depression should be allowed a few days off each month for their unquantifiable emotional symptoms. And this also means a person would have to state or document before becoming employed whether they had disabilities that would necessitate extra time away from work or prevent them from performing their job functions, before being hired. Which becomes a lose lose for any company who considers implementing such a policy, including the armed forces. If they didnt hire enough women, they would be considered discriminatory. If they hired too many women with menstrual disabilities, they would lose productivity and/or profit. If they hired 1 disabled menstruating woman for every healthy woman, then they have adopted a quota system that would be unfair to both healthy women and men.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:20 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times
Companies have a certain amount of sick days/personal days allowed per year. They don't care if you're male, female or giraffe. Companies are in the business of making money. Taking more sick days than allowed DOES mess with productivity. Plenty of people with medical issues don't use those issues as excuses to abuse sick days or slack off. Productive people take medicine or have procedures done so they can work like everyone else.If it's that bad, go on disability, become a part timer, or just work for yourself! Everything else is just excuses and whining. CRY ME A RIVER. This topic has got to be the all time lamest ever on city-data. Got fibroids? Have them removed or work for yourself. Bleed like a pig? Take hormones that lessen that. Don't want to take care of your problems? Don't expect us to cry a river for you. I want to hear you tell this mess to the women in the armed forces and in law enforcement. They would have a day with you....

Old 06-01-2014, 02:24 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
No. Let them use sick leave. Or give men equal time off cuz they get cranky and self-centered on a regular basis, too.
Are you not aware that millions of women get violently ill for up to 5 days a month, and by that I mean vomiting at one end and explosive diarrhea on the other, because of their periods? That some of them have such horrible periods that they become anemic due to severe blood loss? That some of them have debilitating migraines associated with their periods? If menstrual leave applies, it is going to apply to women like this. "Cranky and self-centered" women are like that every day and their periods get blamed, but that is just a sexist joke, not a reason to miss work.

Old 06-01-2014, 02:29 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times
See these people want to have their cake and eat it too. They want equal this, equal that...but wait...they want extra paid menses time given to them. What universe are they living in? Then the dude with the prostate problem who runs to the men's room every half hour also deserves the a similar paid leave benefit. This opens up a floodgate of potential and fiscally wasteful litigation.I want to see you give the women in the army paid menses leave.

There are a myriad of ways of handling difficult feminine issues in this modern society. Paid leave means special treatment. It destroys productivity and kills workplace morale. It means that every other group is going to demand special treatment of some kind for something or other. It would be a nightmare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment