Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 11:14 AM

4,039 posts, read 3,774,203 times

Advertisements

I've been at my current job for the past 7 years. At first, it was just a temporary thing for school, but after I graduated, the economy was so bad, I couldn't find another job. Then I started taking classes in my area of passion (acting). I wanted to make a career of it, but after meeting many people who have done it for a good long time and even went to Julliard, they're still bartending. So now I feel stuck because my current job is a drone-ish type of job where I don't really possess much skills to transfer over to another line of work. Sure, there are customer service skills, I am proficient in MS word, excel, etc., I work well with others and alone.. I've told that to many job applications, and I couldn't even get an interview. Most of these are through Craigslist, which I find isn't really the best place to look for work.

I see the only way out of my current situation is to go back to school and gain skills that way, this time in something more specific. The problem is, I don't know what that would be. I don't appreciate techy jobs, I don't want to work in the medical field... well, you know what? I think the problem is the way I think and view jobs. It's like I want something perfect without having to work for it. Well, I am willing to work for it, but most of the time, I don't know if it's worth working for, or if I will want to be in that field for that long.

I wanted to be a writer for the longest time, but I don't have enough confidence in my writing skills. I wanted to do something creative, but my mentality keeps pulling me back. But right now, I just want to get out of my current position because I think it's depressing the hell out of me. Any advice on what I should do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 11:35 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
When you get hungry enough you'll find strength to change.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:38 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times
You have to go back to school. Forget the "creative" careers. They don't pay well. And don't focus on having your dream job where your %100 happy all the time. Just be happy if you find a job you like and don't hate.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:07 AM

44 posts, read 44,906 times
Write for Examiner. Seriously. Pick a subject you're interested in and knowledgeable about and write for them. You'll build confidence in your skills. If you're REALLY good you'll build that into something else.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,581 posts, read 81,186,228 times
There is many a writer and actor waiting tables to pay the rent. Better to find a career that pays you well enough to live comfortable and then pursue your dreams after that. I know several people that have good jobs and are now starting to make money as authors after self-publishing books. The problem is that they will never get rich at it, because the profit on books is very low, and sales are dropping all the time with bookstores closing up. The money for a writer is in freelance articles for online publications and magazines. If you like acting most cities will have a drama group that has open tryouts for local productions. A good friend does one every year or two, currently has a minor role in Fiddler. It's not paid, but he finds it a lot of fun.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:19 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
It has always been almost impossible to make a living at anything creative. That's why your Julliard friends are still tending bar.

I am among the many who write for pennies and you can too! Examiner and many other places are quite willing to pay almost nothing for your work. Yes, you too can starve while looking good in print! For every John Grisham there are a couple million also rans.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:29 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Many inspired to be actors/actresses work at starbucks in NYC.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:52 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Try writing as a freelancer. There are plenty of smaller publications that are looking for local talent. Check your local magazines and see if they want to hire you for an article. Keep submitting on websites, local magazines etc and see if you get a bite. This can grow into a lucrative career, but is very difficult to break in.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:24 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,015,433 times
I'd also like to suggest that you find jobs at a community college or theater in the "behind the scenes" department. I went to Arts Magnet High School in Dallas and also thought like you did...turns out, when I went to community college, I got a job with the stagecraft department. We built sets, did lighting...I even was the assistant director for two plays. I sucked at acting but LOVED the backstage stuff...getting your foot in there could be a step in the right direction. I have a knack for numbers...not so much the acting stuff...so find something that will make money first.

It's true that you may never make enough money so keep looking for ways to be creative in your current job or the next one you find, but do these other things (even volunteering) in local theaters. I loved hanging out back stage with all the actors...all the creative people. You can learn.

Oh, and I know Dallas has a film commission website which posts jobs for all kinds of assistants: transportation, food, general etc. as well as for extras. I know they don't pay well but who cares if you enjoy doing it? Maybe your city has something similar...check it out. It's a lot of fun...and who knows who you'll meet? Start networking in that area and you might find some success...even if it's to satisfy your creativity needs!

Good luck.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:18 PM

15 posts, read 34,910 times
OP, I'd advise you to sell out, conform and follow the advice I'm sure everyone around you is giving you. Sure, you'll still feel stuck, unhappy, and will struggle with bouts of depression, but you'll have a steady paycheck, an impressive job title, and a "comfortable" salary. You'll be average, just like everyone else.

The truth is that, you're not cut out to be a dreamer. You are a follower, not a leader. This is quite apparent in your first few sentences. You stopped doing what you claimed was your passion because of what results others were getting. Sure, the average aspiring entertainer will never make it. The average employee in any field will never make it to the highest level of salary and prestige, so good job on already labeling yourself "average." You've sealed your fate. And people throw out the word passion too quickly. Passion is a bully. If you can sell out that quickly, it wasn't your passion, it was just a fleeting interest. Give it up and find something else.

Most people are average. They make an average salary, the have an average job, they take the same average path to what other average people define as "success". They are traditionalists. They aren't passionate and they will sell out quickly for stability and security. They aren't risk takers, and they love nothing more than to influence everyone else to be average right along with them. Their greatest achievement in life is that they were able to make their bills on time, they paid off their mortgage in 15-30 years, they drove a few nice cars, took a few decent vacations on the company allotted time given to them, and they'll finally be able to LIVE once they retire. They will never go down in history because even in their industry, they weren't the best and most remarkable. Three generations down the line they'll be but another branch on the family tree.

And that's you. You're not cut out to be a dreamer, so go to school and study the most in demand major that you're not all that into, but, y'know, it's a JOB. You'll have a "good" job, a nice steady paycheck, and stability/security. There are too many average people who fancy themselves dreamers. The true dreamers of the world don't hold the same mentality as the other 99%. They'd rather starve, be homeless, and go hungry than be average. Or they just bartend. They are risk takers, and they are too hard-headed (and too clever) to ask advice from average people. They know that it takes more than a piece of paper from a school to make things happen. Extraordinary people do extraordinary things to make stuff happen. Most people aren't going to put in the work necessary to be extraordinary. You have people on this very board who want extraordinary results with average effort. They haven't networked, they haven't searched for opportunities outside of their own communities, they haven't hustled for mentors, they aren't a part of any clubs and groups where they can rub elbows with decision-makers, they don't spend their free time improving skills like public speaking (bet you they aren't a member of Toastmasters) or learning another language, they just float through life being average and doing what every other average person is doing right now--relying on a piece of paper to open doors. You said it yourself "I want something perfect without having to work for it." No matter what field you find yourself in, you'll be average. Some industries just reward average people with more money than others. Average creatives starve. That's a fact.

So join the rat race. You're definitely cut out for it. I know my tone is harsh but hopefully it will make you think a little harder about what path you are going to take. This is the rest of your life we are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment