Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 11:17 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdemak View Post
This. Wildwood, and most Jersey beaches are full of European workers, and they do not live in dorms. They are just humans trying to make some money, many do not realize that we have it so much better than a poor country, but yet Americans want to complain constantly.
True -- that might be why immigrants are so very much preferred by the employers. There are plenty of people throughout the world who would simply love that low paying job and they'd gladly sleep in a cardboard box - just like they did back home -- for the what are terrific wages in their minds.

What I find funny -- the same people who support unlimited immigration also whine about low wages and falling living standards for Americans -- you really can't have both open borders and a comfortable middle class.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:19 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,919,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
True -- that might be why immigrants are so very much preferred by the employers. There are plenty of people throughout the world who would simply love that low paying job and they'd gladly sleep in a cardboard box - just like they did back home -- for the what are terrific wages in their minds.

What I find funny -- the same people who support unlimited immigration also whine about low wages and falling living standards for Americans -- you really can't have both open borders and a comfortable middle class.

The kinds of jobs the illegals do aren't exactly "middle class" type jobs.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
The kinds of jobs the illegals do aren't exactly "middle class" type jobs.
Actually they are exactly the kinds of jobs that illegals who steal social security numbers take. A very small portion of illegals are here picking lettuce.

My point is that Americans must now compete for any jobs in this country with everyone in the world -- and those are very decent wages for most people in the world. And living in a hotel room is far better than the cardboard house they had back in their shanytown back home.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:57 AM

820 posts, read 1,208,666 times
Quote:
Actually they are exactly the kinds of jobs that illegals who steal social security numbers take. A very small portion of illegals are here picking lettuce.

My point is that Americans must now compete for any jobs in this country with everyone in the world -- and those are very decent wages for most people in the world. And living in a hotel room is far better than the cardboard house they had back in their shanytown back home.
We live in a global world, there are many opportunities outside of the US. People need to think of themselves as global citizens, and get with the times seriously. I could work in Dubai, but choose to work in the US, because I like it here.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:26 PM

50,695 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
So what are these unskilled Disney workers supposed to do? Commute for 50 miles to work on the meager pay they get?

I just don't understand the constant antipathy for low-wage workers in this country. Disney is a multibillion-dollar corporation. They can afford to pay their workers enough to live on. If they have workers living in hotels, that's on Disney and their greed, not on the workers trying to survive on peanuts.

People have been doing this for years. Do you think people who work low wage jobs in Manhattan live in the bedroom communities where the wealthy workers can afford to live? No, they live 90 minutes away by bus and train, or they live in a poor city with cheap rent. It's not Disney's problem or responsibility that real estate in the Orlando area is valuable. Is McDonalds obligated to provide housing? If not, why is Disney?

For the record, I am a 99%er who is firmly on the side of workers and not corporations, but even I don't think companies need to be responsible to pay enough for all their employees to be able to afford local housing regardless of what real estate market they are in, even if it's a wealthy one.

Their market is like ours in my area....most people who buy houses to rent here rent weekly to tourists at a couple thousand a week. They make much more that way, so there might not be enough yearly rentals close to Disney

I myself would never move to an area where I found a job making $8 an hour if I didn't know in advance I could get housing for that salary or had some savings. All those people were perfectly capable of researching the area and jobs outlook prior to showing up on Disneys doorstep.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:54 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,287,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
This is really nothing new. Millions upon millions work low paying jobs and live in high COL areas. I lived in a motel for many years and never considered myself homeless. Theme park attendant jobs, along with fast food are not living wage careers.

Sorry but you are wrong. These employees work long hours and just as hard to warrant living wages. Again, they are not seeking to become wealthy in these jobs. They just want enough to provide shelter, food and benefits. What is sad is the wealthiest 1% have brainwashed the working class like yourself to justify paying low wages. So you tell yourself it's okay to be poor because these jobs don't warrant living wages.

Disney should pay their workers higher wages. I have annual passes to the Disney parks. The level of customer service and hard work given by their employees is astonishing. They work incredibly hard. Despite serving a large population of guests, their level of customer service and enthusiasm never wanes. Disney asks a lot of it's employees, at the very least, they should be compensated fairly.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:

To be clear, most of them here come from fairly middle-class families back home. They are most often University students, as I said. But due to exchange rates, I was told one summer of wages in dollars can pay for a year of school in their currency.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:59 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,287,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
People have been doing this for years. Do you think people who work low wage jobs in Manhattan live in the bedroom communities where the wealthy workers can afford to live? No, they live 90 minutes away by bus and train, or they live in a poor city with cheap rent. It's not Disney's problem or responsibility that real estate in the Orlando area is valuable. Is McDonalds obligated to provide housing? If not, why is Disney?

For the record, I am a 99%er who is firmly on the side of workers and not corporations, but even I don't think companies need to be responsible to pay enough for all their employees to be able to afford local housing regardless of what real estate market they are in, even if it's a wealthy one.

Their market is like ours in my area....most people who buy houses to rent here rent weekly to tourists at a couple thousand a week. They make much more that way, so there might not be enough yearly rentals close to Disney

I myself would never move to an area where I found a job making $8 an hour if I didn't know in advance I could get housing for that salary or had some savings. All those people were perfectly capable of researching the area and jobs outlook prior to showing up on Disneys doorstep.
Give me a break. Orlando is not L.A. It's not that expensive okay. These employees are not seeking to live in the upscale parts of Orlando. They are just looking to live in Orlando. Are they supposed to live in Port St. Lucie and drive 150 miles every morning to Orlando? The bedroom community example of Manhattan is a poor example because most of the employees can take a quick train ride that is less than an hour. There is no such thing like that in Orlando. Your demands are unreasonable.

It's about corporate responsibility. It doesn't matter if it's legal to pay someone below market wages. It's unethical. Disney makes a lot of money and they should set an example and show they value their employees by compensating them more and allowing them to have a living wage. It's a shame because that's not what Walt Disney stood for.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdemak View Post
We live in a global world, there are many opportunities outside of the US. People need to think of themselves as global citizens, and get with the times seriously. I could work in Dubai, but choose to work in the US, because I like it here.
The problem is -- it's not reciprocal.

Anyone from any country can come to the USA and take high paying or moderate paying or low paying jobs -- but Americans can't simply pack up and head to other countries because they protect the jobs for their own citizens.

It's really only Americans who are having to face such endless competition from the global world because the other countries keep their limits on how many can come in.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Give me a break. Orlando is not L.A. It's not that expensive okay. These employees are not seeking to live in the upscale parts of Orlando. They are just looking to live in Orlando. Are they supposed to live in Port St. Lucie and drive 150 miles every morning to Orlando? The bedroom community example of Manhattan is a poor example because most of the employees can take a quick train ride that is less than an hour. There is no such thing like that in Orlando. Your demands are unreasonable.

It's about corporate responsibility. It doesn't matter if it's legal to pay someone below market wages. It's unethical. Disney makes a lot of money and they should set an example and show they value their employees by compensating them more and allowing them to have a living wage. It's a shame because that's not what Walt Disney stood for.
THIS is the thing - they do NOT pay below "market wages" for these type jobs. They actually pay more than market as they pay more than minimum wage, which is standard theme park pay. I worked at Six Flags when I was 16, made $3.15 an hour. These are jobs meant for students, not adults trying to support families. It matters not one bit what specific area of the country it is - corporations aren't responsible for matching salaries for low skilled jobs to their individual housing markets. Disney doesn't pay any less than Walmart, MacDonalds, Fashion Bug or any number of places which used to be the domain of kids but are now unfortunately the only jobs some adults can find.

If you're talking about how corporations in general have ruined the economy for the middle class by eliminating good jobs or outsourcing or making jobs part-time without benefits, I agree with you completely - I think corporate greed needs to be dealt with and the wealth shared down the ladder rather than just at the top. But I also blame us for allowing this to happen, as we all were too happy to go to Walmart and buy cheap crap made in China. My point is, Disney is part of an entire corporate culture and economic policy that needs to change, but individually they are not doing anything countless other companies aren't also doing and I don't get why people here seem to be holding them to a higher standard than everyone else.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 05-31-2014 at 04:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.