Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 08:11 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm5878 View Post
So Ive been unemployed for about a month now and I think its really starting to driving me nuts. Ive been on several interviews and find myself putting all of my eggs in one basket. When I get rejected, Im so letdown that I dont want to get off of the couch and do errands or go to the gym. Not sure how you guys do it, but ive lost faith in finding a job.
Most people don't even get their 1st interview until their 3rd month of unemployment and you are giving up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 08:15 PM

658 posts, read 847,757 times
Gosh, I hope and pray the OP and everyone else struggling to find employment does so soon.

OP, I know you have been told to don't give up and don't lose faith, which is true, but I do believe you should allow yourself a day or two to just 'be.' Allow yourself to feel those frustrated, sad feelings, but continue to tell yourself it will be alright and you will be employed.

I also want to say, that it's a good thing you are at least able to get an interview. That means you are on point with the resume. What about your interview skills? I have an interview lined up soon and I am researching how to answer typical interview type questions so I won't flunk this time. I did horribly about one year ago on an interview that I just knew I would pass.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Yea, you'd think having all this free time...you'd be able to pursue other things like writing a book, working out more, etc. and yet, its the complete opposite. Well, it is for me. I try looking for work from 1-4pm. I feel like i get more hits / replies during business hours on brand new postings. Nearly all of my hobbies I want to do cost money so yea, it sucks.
I tend to hear that when you're laid off, that's when you have time to work on your 'true talents and gifts.' I am noticing that not everyone fits into this mold and that's perfectly fine.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendall69 View Post
Why do people ALWAYS resort to "needing to find work" Why don't peopel look at ways to do business? Rather than getting jerked around by employers, but lawn mower and cut peoples laws for $20.00, do five a day that 100.00 a day, $500.00 TAX FREE so it's like $750.00 in wages.

I guarantee there are plenty of retired older people that would jump at the chance of paying you to cut their grass.

How about pool cleaning, house painting, indoor house painting, clean garages, detail cars/RV's, ..I could go on for an hour but I think you get the point.

You don't need a job you need an attitude adjustment.

Ah, this typical response.

Let me answer.
Everyone's not business minded and for a lot of people, they prefer structure and some semblance of job security. Those suggestions you provided waxes and wanes depending on the customer, plus they offer no benefits.

The OP doesn't need a frigging attitude adjustment. Were you just waiting to say such? He/she is feeling normal reactions to being rejected after having the dollar bill dangling in front of them, only for it to be snatched away before blinking.

I swear, I don't understand some posters sometimes. I guess that's just how it is, though.

Old 05-31-2014, 08:33 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post

Let me answer.
Everyone's not business minded and for a lot of people, they prefer structure and some semblance of job security. Those suggestions you provided waxes and wanes depending on the customer, plus they offer no benefits.

The OP doesn't need a frigging attitude adjustment. Were you just waiting to say such? He/she is feeling normal reactions to being rejected after having the dollar bill dangling in front of them, only for it to be snatched away before blinking.

I swear, I don't understand some posters sometimes. I guess that's just how it is, though.
It's very important to remain positive when job seeking because that's the only way you can succeed. It's too easy to be depressed which is why you need to do things to keep your spirits up

music
visiting friends
hobbies

No time to be negative when seeking employment

Old 05-31-2014, 08:47 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,118,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post

Let me answer.

He definitely needs an attitude adjustment. If there is something wrong, he just won't fix it.

Quote:
...if I see something wrong, I tend to just not fix it and move onto the next thing. Or for example, if Im reading something thats 20 pages, I can only get to the 2nd page and then I give up and put it away.
That's the wrong attitude. If something ain't working for him, he needs to take care of it. Or he is going to be unemployed, after giving up.

This thread is already 5 pages. Has the OP abandoned the thread, because of too much reading?

Last edited by move4ward; 05-31-2014 at 10:12 PM..

Old 05-31-2014, 10:03 PM

249 posts, read 330,126 times
Dig deep, be truthful to yourself, find out why you are unemployed and fix it

Old 06-01-2014, 09:55 AM

174 posts, read 332,690 times
OP, not trying to be mean but 1 month is nothing. Being unemployed requires a lot of self-discipline and willpower - you need to keep working at it until you get your job. I can't put it any other way. No one can help you, and only you can get yourself out of this situation in the end. But the one thing you don't want to do is give up. Keep going!

Old 06-01-2014, 10:34 AM

395 posts, read 603,812 times
Very true but im just worried that once unemployed runs out in 4 months or so, its game over and I have no clue how Id pay bills lol.

Old 06-01-2014, 11:05 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Very true but im just worried that once unemployed runs out in 4 months or so, its game over and I have no clue how Id pay bills lol.
I get that, I know it may feel like a rush now since there are no extensions which is why I recommend you start signing up for temp agencies so that when you are in your 4th month you may get a assignment and be working before the six months are over
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment