Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 03:03 PM

231 posts, read 381,770 times

Advertisements

I am currently interviewing with a few different companies and at the end they almost always ask "Do you have any questions for me?"

A few times I have had some small questions, but sometimes the interviewer is incredibly thorough and I have no questions. Is that bad? Should I always come up with some questions? If no questions do I try and be funny and say "when do I start?" How do you guys deal with this? What do you all suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 03:18 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,982,569 times
You should go to every interview with a few prepared questions about the company and the position you are applying for. If the interviewer addresses all of your prepared questions during the interview, try to expand on some of the topics. If something in the interview triggers a question in your mind, jot it down and ask it then if you didn't get the chance to earlier. When I interview candidates, I consider this to be one of the key questions I ask, as it is a great opportunity to learn if the candidate prepared for the interview, which shows interest and thoroughness.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:40 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretendingtowork View Post
If no questions do I try and be funny and say "when do I start?"
No, do not say that, and do not assume this is just a way to end the interview. This is the MOST important part.

As mentioned above, research the company beforehand. The one thing I think works well is to ask the interviewer, "How did you come to work for XXXX?"

If it is the direct boss, ask, "How will I know when I've met your expectations?" Stuff like that.

NEVER say no, no questions. This is your chance to make an impression.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:44 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Always always always have at least 3 questions on hand to ask. I've asked people how they came to be in their position, what do they think is the most difficult aspect of the position I'm interviewing for, how did the person who held the position before me succeed & what did they do to succeed, etc. You can actually google "interview questions" & come up with a bunch of different options. All of these can be used in a general way for most positions that you're interviewing for.

Old 05-28-2014, 03:49 PM

63 posts, read 213,567 times
Yes, always have questions to ask! The topic perspective may be different for large corporations, but I have done the hiring for small companies and start-ups for the last several years, so I welcome questions about our growth and where we envision taking the company. Cultural fit is also really important, so I'm happy to answer questions about my own history and experience with the company. Here are a few suggestions:

"What is a company growth goal for this year?"
"How do you see the company's services evolving in the mid-term?
"What professional organizations do others in the department belong to?"
"What is your favorite part about working here?"
"How does the company support and encourage employee growth?"

Old 05-28-2014, 04:27 PM

231 posts, read 381,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Always always always have at least 3 questions on hand to ask. I've asked people how they came to be in their position, what do they think is the most difficult aspect of the position I'm interviewing for, how did the person who held the position before me succeed & what did they do to succeed, etc. You can actually google "interview questions" & come up with a bunch of different options. All of these can be used in a general way for most positions that you're interviewing for.

This last interview I had, I did have a few questions lined up. I asked one of them and the guy just went on and on and answered all the questions I had. I was literally at a loss for words and said I didn't have any questions.

That being said he did mention that if I did have any questions he would be more than happy to answer them and to just send him an email. I will follow up later today with a thank you email, would it be prudent to add a few questions to that email?

Old 05-28-2014, 10:57 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,900,562 times
Here's an entire thread on this:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...interview.html

Good luck!

Old 05-28-2014, 11:22 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,742,148 times
I frequently am involved with the hiring process (sitting in on panel interviews, etc) and when we discuss the candidates, there's nearly always at least one other person on the hiring panel who expresses dismay or frustration that none/only some of the candidates were curious about the people interviewing them.

Asking the folks who are interviewing you a bit about themselves, their career paths, their current job role, etc really matters a lot to some interviewers. And they seem to interpret the absence of such questions as a lack of interest in the job/the company culture/etc.

Old 05-29-2014, 05:46 AM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
I also feel like it is always good to ask, "What are some traits and qualities that you feel would make someone successful in this position?" and then use that to continue selling myself.

Old 05-29-2014, 06:00 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I frequently am involved with the hiring process (sitting in on panel interviews, etc) and when we discuss the candidates, there's nearly always at least one other person on the hiring panel who expresses dismay or frustration that none/only some of the candidates were curious about the people interviewing them.

Asking the folks who are interviewing you a bit about themselves, their career paths, their current job role, etc really matters a lot to some interviewers. And they seem to interpret the absence of such questions as a lack of interest in the job/the company culture/etc.
Yep... When I interview people, if they don't have any questions, it screams that they either don't care or are not prepared.

Personally, I like asking and have had good success with questions such as "In your opinion, what are the strengths and weaknesses of the company/role/etc"... This is your chance to listen and provide a possible solution to their problems. I also like asking about them personally, especially about how they got to their role. If they have risen through the ranks, it gives you a decent idea of how they do things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment