Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 09:00 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,808,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Thinking about craigslist for a moment, do their listings get moderated? I notice one job has dozens of post for twelve weeks training to become trained in that position or discount programs instead of actual job listings.
I don't think Craigslist cares especially for the posts on the boards for locales that require $ for ads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 10:17 AM

399 posts, read 568,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
specifically say, "no walk-ins or 'phone calls, please" and as soon as you put in the name of the business it's a surefire guarantee that many applicants will do exactly that!
I worked for a company years ago (as office manager) that would specifically put this in their ads and when people walked in, I would take their application and then as I was thanking them for their time, let them know that the first thing we were always looking for in a potential employee was attention to detail.

Because they walked in when the ad specifically said NO WALK-INS, they would not be considered for the position. Application logged, then shredded.

I also instructed my receptionist to offer a pencil, red or other exotically colored pen to anyone who came to fill out an application that didn't have their own writing utensil. Application logged, then shredded.

You may not be considered for this company, but I'm going to try and teach you a lesson about life.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:34 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,772,311 times
Quote:
Craigslist is a mixed bag of relevant job postings and questionable postings. It takes caution to wisely navigate through the listings. There are good jobs posted on craigslist.
This is good advice, if you are job-seeking, you spend time looking at jobs posted in Craigslist. In my field, I have seen larger companies post ads, but also a lot of startups use it as well. I think more recruiters and staffing companies use CL for IT types of jobs in my area, but you just use caution when replying to a job ad. The general advice is "if it is too good to be true, then it probably is."

Old 06-01-2014, 06:45 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
lots of legit companies don't reveal their name on CL but you can usually identify what companies they are based on the maps in the ad

Old 06-01-2014, 10:15 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
Quote:
Craigslist is a mixed bag of relevant job postings and questionable postings. It takes caution to wisely navigate through the listings. There are good jobs posted on craigslist.
Therein lies the issue. How do you know which ones are good besides the obvious signs? Or can you even find no experience necessary jobs on Craigslist that you wouldn't be able to find anywhere else?

Old 06-01-2014, 10:28 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Therein lies the issue. How do you know which ones are good besides the obvious signs? Or can you even find no experience necessary jobs on Craigslist that you wouldn't be able to find anywhere else?
should be easy to tell by how the ad sounds

Old 06-02-2014, 08:25 AM

63 posts, read 213,663 times
Having used Craigslist for job postings before, the response is so overwhelming that I stopped listing the company name as well. About 85% of the applicants are completely unqualified and many of the respondents do not follow the instructions that clearly state "No phone calls or walk-ins." Now I use Indeed.com and have stopped posting on Craigslist because I find that I get an overall better quality pool of applicants.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:17 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,312,189 times
Quote:
Setting aside the scams, this (bolded) IS the most common reason. When I hired for my business I never put my business name in the ads as I learned the hard way. You can direct people to initially contact only by email until you're blue in the face and specifically say, "no walk-ins or 'phone calls, please" and as soon as you put in the name of the business it's a surefire guarantee that many applicants will do exactly that!

I didn't need anyone's SS# or any sensitive information on a first approach - just a demonstration that they could follow simple directions (!), had some relevant experience and could provide contact information.

I can understand this issue, but lets look at this logically:

1. When you post a job on a public forum, expect to get a ton of responses. If you can't handle it, maybe you should probably review your recruiting process. If you don't want everyone showing up, then don't post it for the world to see. Use a recruiter or whatever.

2. Many candidates want to know where they are applying to, even though they probably won't follow up:
-- I could envision them applying to their own company.
-- Also, what happens if they agree to work with a recruiter, you submit your resume blindly and then the recruiter submits you. You know full well that a pissing match may ensue - questions will be raised as to whether a fee will be owed.

3. If you don't want people following up all the time, maybe respond to applications in a timely manner. If you bring people in for interviews, tell them where they stand.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaveyL View Post
I can understand this issue, but lets look at this logically:
I'm a little confused that you linked my response in your comments as they're really not relevant to either what I wrote or to my hiring situation. Using a recruiter wasn't an option in my restaurant business and nor did I make any comments about people "following up all the time". I responded to ALL submitted enquiries in a timely fashion and always let know "where they stand" those who I chose to interview.

I'm guessing you just clicked the quote button on the wrong post!

Old 06-03-2014, 10:31 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,752,145 times
Quote:
You can direct people to initially contact only by email until you're blue in the face and specifically say, "no walk-ins or 'phone calls, please" and as soon as you put in the name of the business it's a surefire guarantee that many applicants will do exactly that!
Well how else is an applicant going to be able to walk right in, look you in the eye and tell you they're the man for the job? You're missing out on a lot of bootstrappers with this approach!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment