Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 10:26 PM

331 posts, read 547,562 times

Advertisements

What is up with listings like this? Born to Code- Entry Level Java programmers wanted It sounds like the type of job I want to apply to, but then again it looks like a scam when there's no company name and a vague description.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 10:31 PM

And what the Hell is up with LinkedIn not working????? I get so sick of this ****. Applying for jobs on a Friday night.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:12 PM

19 posts, read 46,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
What is up with listings like this? Born to Code- Entry Level Java programmers wanted It sounds like the type of job I want to apply to, but then again it looks like a scam when there's no company name and a vague description.
The e-mail address has a domain of protingent.com. They are a staffing company, so you're likely not to find out unless you ask them.

Old 05-31-2014, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stTiger View Post
The e-mail address has a domain of protingent.com. They are a staffing company, so you're likely not to find out unless you ask them.
Man, I'm so sick of staffing companies! 90% of the jobs I come across are offered through staffing companies.

Old 06-01-2014, 12:56 AM

634 posts, read 896,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by const_iterator View Post
Man, I'm so sick of staffing companies! 90% of the jobs I come across are offered through staffing companies.
I flag the worst offenders, meaning I've fallen for their pitch and recognize them based on past formats to their advertisements.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:56 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,044,303 times
The 'blind ad' job postings by employers on Craigslist does get you to scratching your head as to why they're ashamed of revealing who they are; however, it could just be they don't want people calling or walking in the door unannounced to ask about a job opening.

If I were to submit a resume to one of the blind ads, I would not list personal information such as address and phone number; just my name (and they could reply to my email if interested)....not knowing who they are makes one cautious about giving out home address and phone.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:01 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,662,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
The 'blind ad' job postings by employers on Craigslist does get you to scratching your head as to why they're ashamed of revealing who they are; however, it could just be they don't want people calling or walking in the door unannounced to ask about a job opening.

If I were to submit a resume to one of the blind ads, I would not list personal information such as address and phone number; just my name (and they could reply to my email if interested)....not knowing who they are makes one cautious about giving out home address and phone.
Setting aside the scams, this (bolded) IS the most common reason. When I hired for my business I never put my business name in the ads as I learned the hard way. You can direct people to initially contact only by email until you're blue in the face and specifically say, "no walk-ins or 'phone calls, please" and as soon as you put in the name of the business it's a surefire guarantee that many applicants will do exactly that!

I didn't need anyone's SS# or any sensitive information on a first approach - just a demonstration that they could follow simple directions (!), had some relevant experience and could provide contact information.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:30 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,209,988 times
Craigslist is a mixed bag of relevant job postings and questionable postings. It takes caution to wisely navigate through the listings. There are good jobs posted on craigslist.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:05 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,806,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Craigslist is a mixed bag of relevant job postings and questionable postings. It takes caution to wisely navigate through the listings. There are good jobs posted on craigslist.
That's how I found my current job.

Old 06-01-2014, 08:20 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,209,988 times
Thinking about craigslist for a moment, do their listings get moderated? I notice one job has dozens of post for twelve weeks training to become trained in that position or discount programs instead of actual job listings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment